Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2011 Tornado Radar Images

andyhb

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it amazing on 4/27 that you had 3 EF5 tornado producing supercells on the radar display (GWX) at the same time (almost at the time that they were producing said highest category tornadoes).

I remember I was working from home that day, and was glued to the screen from 9am-11pm. I just couldn't even believe what I had watched happen that day, especially during the 33/40 live feed.

Didn't get a damn thing done that day.

I wished I could have taken the entire day off that day to watch it, considering I missed everything up until around the Cordova tornado was around New Lexington...then I flipped it on and my jaw dropped.

I was out that entire day... managed to sneak in a few views during class and lab. I was hyperventilating like none other. Regarding GWX, I think almost all the supercells during the height of the outbreak (save for 2 or 3) ended up producing at least one EF3+ tornado. That's almost unprecedented.

All of the dominant ones did, I believe.

Hackleburg/Phil Campbell/Mt. Hope/Tanner

Philadelphia/Cordova/Rainsville/Ringgold (4 long tracked violent tornadoes, just ridiculous)

Cullman/Flat Rock

Tuscaloosa/Birmingham/Shoal Creek/Cave Spring

Smithville

Haleyville

Centreville

Lake Martin/Dadeville

Enterprise/Snell/Yantley

etc. etc.

• 1 month later...

The wall of death...

It actually didn't kill anyone. I was a bit surprised, I thought it would open up a doorway to another dimension, or at least make a loud bang. But the eastern boundary looks like it slid quietly under the western boundary.

It actually didn't kill anyone. I was a bit surprised, I thought it would open up a doorway to another dimension, or at least make a loud bang. But the eastern boundary looks like it slid quietly under the western boundary.

Black hole

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of the dominant ones did, I believe.

Hackleburg/Phil Campbell/Mt. Hope/Tanner

Philadelphia/Cordova/Rainsville/Ringgold (4 long tracked violent tornadoes, just ridiculous)

Cullman/Flat Rock

Tuscaloosa/Birmingham/Shoal Creek/Cave Spring

Smithville

Haleyville

Centreville

Lake Martin/Dadeville

Enterprise/Snell/Yantley

etc. etc.

Just to clarify, some research here at UAH shows that the Philadelphia tornado and the Cordova, Rainsville, and Ringgold tornadoes were not produced by the same supercell. The latter tornadoes were formed by a supercell that overtook the Philadelphia supercell near the MS/AL border.

More info:

Just to clarify, some research here at UAH shows that the Philadelphia tornado and the Cordova, Rainsville, and Ringgold tornadoes were not produced by the same supercell. The latter tornadoes were formed by a supercell that overtook the Philadelphia supercell near the MS/AL border.

More info: https://www.facebook...423104324402359

Yeah, I discovered that as well after looking at radar loops from the day, that was an interesting storm interaction between those two cells.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived