• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Instant Weather Maps site and app

NAM maps now available! High resolution (12-km), full hourly through 36, 3-hourly 39-84, same variables and fast generation speed as our GFS maps.

Awesome. Quickly becoming one of the best weather model sites out there.

The only thing i can think of to add right now is a looping option.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM maps now available! High resolution (12-km), full hourly through 36, 3-hourly 39-84, same variables and fast generation speed as our GFS maps.

Wow I don't think any other site (except maybe Accuweather Pro or StormVista) has the full hourly NAM... I was wondering when someone would put it up for free. And great resolution -- even Accuweather Pro only has 20-km res. Any chance you will be getting the 4-km nest up, or is that a pipe dream?

Added Simulated Reflectivity to NAM maps. Also made a few speed optimizations to the map generator script.

Any chance you will be getting the 4-km nest up, or is that a pipe dream?

The 4km nest is essentially a separate model, so maybe sometime in the future... Based on server load I can tell you it wouldn't have as many maps though (especially not Kuchera snowfall... as it is I'm taking a couple of minor shortcuts with the regular NAM)... you're dealing with 9x the overhead per map vs. the 12km NAM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there, Awesome site I love it.

Suggestions:

Please please! add some kind of Looping method, either a play button or a way so my "arrow" keys can load the imagine forward or backwards.

Also, If you could please do an Android app. I would be your first customer! Especially with Winter coming, i'd like to not miss a model run if im out.

thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Added ECMWF maps!

Nice job! Where are you pulling the ECMWF grids from? Only a limited amount of their data is free, but I was just wondering where the freely available grids are coming from.

I have found the NCEP model data server to very flakey at times for whatever reason whenever I try to grab some grids for some of my work. Seems to be an issue whether I grab the data manually or write a script to do it. Maybe it doesn't like me...

FYI, for the NAM, I try to get my data from: ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/nam/prod/. There's an http version of this too, but I still have issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job! Where are you pulling the ECMWF grids from? Only a limited amount of their data is free, but I was just wondering where the freely available grids are coming from.

I have found the NCEP model data server to very flakey at times for whatever reason whenever I try to grab some grids for some of my work. Seems to be an issue whether I grab the data manually or write a script to do it. Maybe it doesn't like me...

FYI, for the NAM, I try to get my data from: ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/nam/prod/. There's an http version of this too, but I still have issues.

I get my GFS, NAM, RUC, and GEFS data from that server too. The ECMWF gribs are from the ECMWF WMO Essential FTP site.

In other news, I just now added Europe maps for both the GFS and ECMWF. An app update is pending approval by Apple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived