• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Instant Weather Maps site and app

App now available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! It does not currently feature maps from my site, but does have images and loops from over 99% of maps on NCEP MAG site. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instant-weather-maps-pro/id464199989

Oh, and first one to enter this promo code on iTunes gets it free!

EDIT: Promo code has been used. Congrats hm8!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoah just downloaded this... it is truly what WeatherGeek Pro tried to be (no offense to the Geek lol). Definitely the best alternative to the horrible new NCEP interface available anywhere... especially because it has EVERY map from the NCEP MAG site (except the GFDL and HWRF, but being a programmer, I can understand why those might give him some trouble). Great job! Other than the map selection, I especially like how you can loop through the maps in a way similar to that of the NCEP site, speeding up the animation, slowing it down, or manually stepping through the images. Well worth the $5 IMO... would even be worth twice that.

Just downloaded. Nice app but have a few questions. 1. Any way to pinch zoom on the animated maps? The individual maps seem to have this option. 2. GFS only goes out to 120hr? Can't seem to get it past that no matter what run I use. 3. On the individual maps is there a way to go from one hr to the next? Like arrow key or something?

Still a nice app but those features would help it a lot especially us IPhone users with small screens. Thanks in advance.

Just downloaded. Nice app but have a few questions. 1. Any way to pinch zoom on the animated maps? The individual maps seem to have this option. 2. GFS only goes out to 120hr? Can't seem to get it past that no matter what run I use. 3. On the individual maps is there a way to go from one hr to the next? Like arrow key or something?

Still a nice app but those features would help it a lot especially us IPhone users with small screens. Thanks in advance.

1. I'm working on that... Should be pretty easy to change. 2. Change the variable. NCEP only makes 3-hr precip maps of the GFS to hour 120. 3. Thanks for the idea... it is now planned for a future update.

Update 1.0.1 has just been submitted. When Apple approves it (likely on Monday or Tuesday) you will be able to download it. It fixes a crash bug caused by turning your screen upside down while viewing a map; and it also clears up Hazey's "issue" about the 3-hr precip maps only going to hr 120, by simply moving another variable into the first (default) spot.

You may want to check out your snow cover maps... they are showing weird percentages... based on my knowledge of GrADS, I think you averaged 0-360 lon yet calculated and displayed -270 to 90. Amirite?

Wow you're good at that! Thanks, just fixed it, will be doing retro-runs of it soon. Currently running back to today's 00Z.

Instant Weather Maps Free app now available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! http://ow.ly/6DnLF Also, Pro version price reduced for the weekend! For those of you who wanted pinch and zoom on animated maps, it should be coming in the next update, which I probably will submit this weekend (this means it will be available sometime next week). Also a few other surprises coming in the update (hint: it has something to do with the number 88)

App now available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! Check post 61 for details

Introducing InstantWeatherMaps.com, a new weather model website. The site has a lag (from when the raw data appears on the NCEP FTP server) of 1-20 seconds, compared to around 100 seconds for the closest other free site (the new NCEP site). I offer over 150 variables, including Kuchera-method snowfall (otherwise only found on Earl Barker's site, which has a lag of around 30-90 minutes). Over a million GFS model maps are on my server at any given time. I would appreciate any suggestions as to future enhancements I could make to my site.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com

Android App please??? I can help develop if you like. I do programming in .NET but I have done some in java which is what android apps are.

Version 1.1 of Instant Weather Maps Free now available! Animated loops now zoomable, RADAR added, change time on static maps with 3-finger swipe, and interval settings now available for animations.

I read somewhere there was a $100 Apple Store fee to be able to publish apps/get a developer key. Is this true and are you planning on making money later on with a more premium version?

Just updated some surface values to NATIVE MODEL RESOLUTION (about 0.2 degree for hrs 0-192 and about 0.625 degree for hrs 204-384). Variables available in native resolution are as follows:

Surface temps

H2O equivalent of snow depth

Precip rate

Convective precip rate

10m wind

2m temp (hrs 0-192)

2m temp change (hrs 0-192)

2m max temp (hrs 0-192)

2m min temp (hrs 0-192)

Precipitable water

Cloud cover

Snow depth

Snow depth change

Snow cover

All other variables will remain in 0.5 degree (hrs 0-192) and 1.0 degree (hrs 204-384) formats.

Just updated some surface values to NATIVE MODEL RESOLUTION (about 0.2 degree for hrs 0-192 and about 0.625 degree for hrs 204-384). Variables available in native resolution are as follows:

Surface temps

H2O equivalent of snow depth

Precip rate

Convective precip rate

10m wind

2m temp (hrs 0-192)

2m temp change (hrs 0-192)

2m max temp (hrs 0-192)

2m min temp (hrs 0-192)

Precipitable water

Cloud cover

Snow depth

Snow depth change

Snow cover

All other variables will remain in 0.5 degree (hrs 0-192) and 1.0 degree (hrs 204-384) formats.

Are you getting the native resolution data somehow or are you using the 0.5 degree to create higher res grids? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived