• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

I have to go into the city on average a couple days a month. If I am really busy I will take a motel such as in Ardsley or like Bellerose, Queens and do a two day stint. I need to get documents for my research business at the courts etc. down there and some can only be obtained terrestrially. Also I occasionally have to testify in Surrogate's Court in one of the boroughs.

I can't imagine how anyone could deal with that traffic and pace of life as a regular commuter. I am adept at it .....know the city very well all over, but a couple days is all I could take. LOL

I can't tell you how happy I am when I leave it in the rear view mirror and keep driving further and further north. :)

I left Staten Island and Manhattan work years ago, I don't know hw I did it so long :axe::lol::bike:

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to go into the city on average a couple days a month. If I am really busy I will take a motel such as in Ardsley or like Bellerose, Queens and do a two day stint. I need to get documents for my research business at the courts etc. down there and some can only be obtained terrestrially. Also I occasionally have to testify in Surrogate's Court in one of the boroughs.

I can't imagine how anyone could deal with that traffic and pace of life as a regular commuter. I am adept at it .....know the city very well all over, but a couple days is all I could take. LOL

I can't tell you how happy I am when I leave it in the rear view mirror and keep driving further and further north. :)

I have to go to the city one or two days a week and I hop on the Hudson Line which is really not too bad, considering my office is near Grand Central. However, I am glad that I only generally do the commute a couple of times a week - more often than not, just once a week.. It is just enough to give me the novelty of the city, but I am much happier working from home out of my home office!!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've been watching you and HudsonValley21 post in the NYC threads and sometimes wonder why you guys bother to be perfectly honest. That's not a judgement on the two of you but by how you tend to get treated by some. I've said it before and I'll say it again now, I'm glad we broke out over here :bike:

It is nice to have our own thread. We have a couple of mets and other posters join in at times. Also, I don't mind posting in the other threads NYC, New England, etc. I have never had a problem. Again, it's great to have a home here in this thread.:arrowhead:

Hey fellas- I remember some of you from the Eastern board. Found my way over here recently. Glad to see the Hudson Valley is in the house. I love winter weather but admittedly know very little unlike a lot of you who know your stuff. So I enjoy these forums to keep up on winter storms and try and learn something.

Guess I am not the only one with a bad commute. From the Bronx originally but my family moved up to Monroe 35 yrs ago.

I lived in Cornwall for a bit when I got married but now am back in Monroe again- well technically it's the town of Chester but Monroe address and schools, go figure.

I did the NYC commute for a year but for the last 11 yrs I drive to Lyndhurst, NJ everyday.

I would attest that the Route 17 commute all the way to the end is one of the worst in the tri-state LOL Some days I just turn around and work from home- I am lucky to be able to do that.

And I guess tomorrow is looking good enough to give me another work from home day. Seems like the consensus is anywhere from 2 inches to 10 depending on where it pans out. Not sure how much we will get down here but I can say the temperature has plummeted to 15 degrees already.

Anyway just thought I would drop a post and say hello. Keep up the good work!

Dunno, but POU climo records are kept by the NWS in Albany. Maybe on their website someplace: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/

But generally they give the snowfall for a winter season as in 2009-10, 2010-2011. I'm sure you could access monthly climo records somewhere and compile a calendar year total.

Caveat to that: I believe the actual airport in POU got a lot less in that February storm...... Crazy storm where northern/central Dutchess had mostly rain and southernmost Dutchess mostly snow

Just a quick question for anyone here. Do we have final snow fall totals for the 2010 year-specifically Dutchess County? I have a bet with one of my kids of how much we had. :) I figure close to 57. We had the 30 or so in Feb. and then close to 20 here in December. Do I have a chance to win this? LOL

Just a quick question for anyone here. Do we have final snow fall totals for the 2010 year-specifically Dutchess County? I have a bet with one of my kids of how much we had. :) I figure close to 57. We had the 30 or so in Feb. and then close to 20 here in December. Do I have a chance to win this? LOL

Here are my totals for 2010:

Jan

01/02 | 2"

01/03 | 2.5"

01/08 | 2"

01/28 | 4"

Jan Total: 10.5

Feb

02/03 | 1"

02/10 | 6"

02/17 | 6"

02/24 | 7"

02/25-02/26 | 22"

Feb Total: 42"

Dec

12/13 | 1.5"

12/26 | 16"

Dec Total: 17.5"

Grand Total: 70"

I am up on Rt 28 between Hopewell Junction and Rt 9, so it can't be far off of what you had in Fishkill. Hope that helps.

My family came out of Brooklyn and Queens and the diaspora began in about the 1940's. Now I have only a few cousins left Downstate. Some came Upstate such as my father and grandparents about 60 years ago. Others scattered all over. When people moved Upstate such as POU or Kingston in the 1950's they essentially became Upstaters because nobody would consider commuting back to the city. Now you have people commuting 75 + miles and tons of weekend home owners that are only part time Upstaters.

I grew up in Buffalo, and my family tells me I now live "downstate", yet to City folk, I live "upstate". Can someone please tell me where I live?!?!?:(

As an interesting commuting aside, I do a bit of a "reverse commute", going from POU to Catskill, NY, and there are times when I'm on the Taconic where I don't pass a single car during an almost 45 mile commute. I almost took a job in White Plains which is just as far, but a totally different commute.

<br>Dunno, but POU climo records are kept by the NWS in Albany. Maybe on their website someplace:   <a href="http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/</a><br><br>But generally they give the snowfall for a winter season as in 2009-10, 2010-2011. I'm sure you could access monthly climo records somewhere and compile a calendar year total.<br><br><b>Caveat to that:  I believe the actual airport in POU got a lot less in that February storm.</b>.....  Crazy storm where northern/central Dutchess had mostly rain and southernmost Dutchess mostly snow<br><br><br>
<br><br>Amazing differences over short distances... <br><br>I live 3 miles south of the airport, and have a little more elevation (350 feet here) and I had 22 inches on top of the 7 inches a few days earlier, and I had depths of nearly 30 inches in my front yard... 3 miles north of me, I would say that they had 10 inches at best.  Another 3 miles north, 4 inches.  Conversely, I actually think that Fishkill and Beacon ended up with more than me!

That's cool... I like to take the Taconic up from NYC sometimes and yeah you lose all the traffic after like route 55 in Dutchess County. I like to stop at the Martindale Chief Diner where route 23 crosses in Columbia County.

I guess you get off at route 82 (near that Taghkanic Diner). Sometimes I get off there and take 82 into 23 over the RVW Bridge and then 23 to 32 north and up over the Helderbergs Hill Towns to home.

I grew up in Buffalo, and my family tells me I now live "downstate", yet to City folk, I live "upstate". Can someone please tell me where I live?!?!?:(

As an interesting commuting aside, I do a bit of a "reverse commute", going from POU to Catskill, NY, and there are times when I'm on the Taconic where I don't pass a single car during an almost 45 mile commute. I almost took a job in White Plains which is just as far, but a totally different commute.

That was a fun storm. :) I got 46 inches total here. 19" in event #1 and 27" in event #2. But ALB got like a foot in event #1 and 98% rain in event #2.

Amazing differences over a short distances...

I live 3 miles south of the airport, and have a little more elevation (350 feet here) and I had 22 inches on top of the 7 inches a few days earlier, and I had depths of nearly 30 inches in my front yard... 3 miles north of me, I would say that they had 10 inches at best. Another 3 miles north, 4 inches. I actually think that Fishkill and Beacon ended up with more than me!

76" out this way... I believe parts of eastern Orange county were around 85"

Hey fellas- I remember some of you from the Eastern board. Found my way over here recently. Glad to see the Hudson Valley is in the house. I love winter weather but admittedly know very little unlike a lot of you who know your stuff. So I enjoy these forums to keep up on winter storms and try and learn something.

Guess I am not the only one with a bad commute. From the Bronx originally but my family moved up to Monroe 35 yrs ago.

I lived in Cornwall for a bit when I got married but now am back in Monroe again- well technically it's the town of Chester but Monroe address and schools, go figure.

I did the NYC commute for a year but for the last 11 yrs I drive to Lyndhurst, NJ everyday.

I would attest that the Route 17 commute all the way to the end is one of the worst in the tri-state LOL Some days I just turn around and work from home- I am lucky to be able to do that.

And I guess tomorrow is looking good enough to give me another work from home day. Seems like the consensus is anywhere from 2 inches to 10 depending on where it pans out. Not sure how much we will get down here but I can say the temperature has plummeted to 15 degrees already.

Anyway just thought I would drop a post and say hello. Keep up the good work!

Hey...Nice to see ya again.. You live in the new snow captial of the northeast..lol That area from Chester/Harriman/Monroe/Highland Mills is a snow magnet.

I have to go to the city one or two days a week and I hop on the Hudson Line which is really not too bad, considering my office is near Grand Central. However, I am glad that I only generally do the commute a couple of times a week - more often than not, just once a week.. It is just enough to give me the novelty of the city, but I am much happier working from home out of my home office!!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The great thing about working for the fire department is the hours and I only have to do the drive twice a week. :) The only negative is that I am restricted to about a 60 mile drive.. Not allowed to live past Orange/Putnam line..

I took the train for about a year but it sukked! Driving is so much more pleasant. It really only takes me about 80-90 minutes each way which is less time than it took me on the train. It's also less expensive (sorta) now that one of my fireman buddies hooked me up with a parking permit. The biggest problem with taking the train is I need to leave my house an hour and a half earlier in the morning just to get a parking spot at the station that doesn't leave me with a $38-60 parking ticket. If you don't get there by 6:30am there are no daily pay spots left and since the stations aren't in my town I would have to pay $1200+ a year for a parking permit and the wait is a year or longer, then if you don't have the money available, and the day off from work to go pick it up, the day after they expect you to get the letter they sell it to the next person in line. When I was commuting that way I only saw my kids on my days off, 5 days a week without seeing your kids sux as does getting to work 90 or more minutes early. Today with the weather it's obviously going to take a bit longer to get in but I'll turn up the tunes and watch the sh*tshow that's bound to be going on around me.

Back on topic - It's been snowing lightly here for almost an hour now. Schools are closed and I'm headed off to work in an hour or so.

See y'all later.

I took the train for about a year but it sukked! Driving is so much more pleasant. It really only takes me about 80-90 minutes each way which is less time than it took me on the train. It's also less expensive (sorta) now that one of my fireman buddies hooked me up with a parking permit. The biggest problem with taking the train is I need to leave my house an hour and a half earlier in the morning just to get a parking spot at the station that doesn't leave me with a $38-60 parking ticket. If you don't get there by 6:30am there are no daily pay spots left and since the stations aren't in my town I would have to pay $1200+ a year for a parking permit and the wait is a year or longer, then if you don't have the money available, and the day off from work to go pick it up, the day after they expect you to get the letter they sell it to the next person in line. When I was commuting that way I only saw my kids on my days off, 5 days a week without seeing your kids sux as does getting to work 90 or more minutes early. Today with the weather it's obviously going to take a bit longer to get in but I'll turn up the tunes and watch the sh*tshow that's bound to be going on around me.

Back on topic - It's been snowing lightly here for almost an hour now. Schools are closed and I'm headed off to work in an hour or so.

See y'all later.

There are plenty of spots in the park and ride by the Temple and the new pay spots rarely fill up before 9am at Croton Falls. Goldens also has loads of meter spots and I have never seen them filled.

The great thing about working for the fire department is the hours and I only have to do the drive twice a week. :) The only negative is that I am restricted to about a 60 mile drive.. Not allowed to live past Orange/Putnam line..

Not sure about these days but years ago there were ways around that, my uncle oulled it off for years :whistle:

There are plenty of spots in the park and ride by the Temple and the new pay spots rarely fill up before 9am at Croton Falls. Goldens also has loads of meter spots and I have never seen them filled.

Yeah but park and ride doesn't jive with a retail schedule. Carpooling is really tough for me because I can't guarantee what time I can leave at night. I didn't know that they had added spots at CF. Goldens is where I used to go and it had gotten horrible, I guess it's changed as more people are out of work now :axe:

Heh, forgot to add a trip report - The roads were getting covered at 7:30 when I left Mahopac and the Taconic/Sprain/BRP/FDR were just wet all the way in. Easy, smooth commute. The heavy stuff is just getting here (downtown) now. Temp ranged from 22* at the north end to 32-33 here.

My ride in was decent, there was snow on the road but two tire tracks down to pavement the whole way. That said, I just love people riding the brake going down hill, it's the telltale sign that they have no idea how to properly use their vehicle in the snow :arrowhead: That heavier band of snow seems to be around Goshen right now.

Rt 17 east Goshen to western Monroe snow covered max speed 45. Westbound clear :arrowhead: East bound Monroe to Thurway clear 65 mph.

Thurway south from Rt 17 perfect not a snowflake on the road in Orange 65mph. As soon I hit Rockland snowcovered with center lane the only one passable in most areas 30MPH. State roads in Rockland unplowed/unsalted.

mcd0008.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0008

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1046 AM CST FRI JAN 07 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY / FAR SWRN MA / CT

/ LONG ISLAND

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 071646Z - 072045Z

SWATH OF PRIMARILY MODERATE SNOWFALL RATES OVER NJ AND NYC METRO

LATE THIS MORNING IS EXPECTED TO CONSOLIDATE IN A

NARROW/INTENSIFYING BAND OF HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES EXCEEDING 1 INCH

PER HOUR AS IT DEVELOPS NEAR THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY VICINITY AND

MOVES EWD ACROSS MOST OF CT BY EARLY EVENING.

RECENT SURFACE ANALYSIS PLACES A WELL-DEFINED TROUGH EXTENDING NW-SE

FROM THE MOHAWK VALLEY TO NRN NJ. A COLD FRONT EXTENDS SWD FROM NJ

TO THE TIDEWATER VICINITY WHILE A RESIDUAL BAROCLINIC ZONE IS DRAPED

ACROSS NEW ENGLAND. A LOW LEVEL THETA-E RIDGE EXTENDS NWWD FROM 150

MI S BID TO THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY. LONG LOOP OF WATER VAPOR

IMAGERY AT 1630Z SHOWS A PV ANOMALY BEGINNING TO EJECT NEWD FROM

NEAR THE MASON-DIXON LINE TOWARDS THE NYC METRO. THIS IS EMBEDDED

WITHIN A STRONG CYCLONIC FLOW REGIME PROVIDED BY LEFT EXIT REGION OF

A 150 KT SPEED MAX OVER THE SRN APPALACHIANS/CAROLINAS. AS THIS

OCCURS...LARGE SCALE ASCENT PROVIDED BY UPPER SYNOPTIC FORCING WILL

FAVORABLY JUXTAPOSE WITH THE PREVIOUSLY DESCRIBED LOW LEVEL THETA-E

PLUME--THEREBY ALLOWING A GREATER UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION RESPONSE.

ADDITIONAL LOW LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING SHOULD LEND SUPPORT IN

THE EVENTUAL NARROWING/INTENSIFICATION OF SHALLOW CONVECTION.

SUITE OF LATEST CONVECTIVE ALLOWING MODELS REINFORCES THE IDEA OF A

BAND OF SNOW DEVELOPING BY THE 18-20Z TIMEFRAME AND MOVING W TO E

ACROSS MUCH OF CT THROUGH 00Z. THIS BAND WILL PROBABLY LEAD TO A

QUICK BURST OF HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES EXCEEDING 1 INCH/HR FOR A FEW

HOURS. FARTHER S OVER LONG ISLAND...ALTHOUGH TEMPS HAVE WARMED INTO

THE MID-UPPER 30S IN PLACES...COLD PROFILE ALOFT WILL PROBABLY

SUPPORT PRIMARILY WET SNOW /PERHAPS BRIEF INTERMITTENT LIGHT

RAIN/...ESPECIALLY DURING THE HEAVIEST PRECIP RATES.

..SMITH.. 01/07/2011

Archived