joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... So much for the sexy Euro fantasies of yesterday. <_<

I certainly won't chase that Novemberish-looking deformity in the Gulf-- the one with the actual weather hundreds of miles from the "center" ("center" in quotes). I'm not denying it's a threat to LA or that the rains might be devastating, but since I'm not in the business of chasing destruction, there's really not a whole lot to excite me about this one.

When are we going to get a red-meat, chaseable specimen? I'm getting impatient. Irene was OK, whatever-- but, c'mon-- an unraveling Cat 1 hitting the NC Outer Banks is not exactly what I fantasize about on the off-season.

Grrr.

/rant

By the way...

I very much like the name Maria-- think it's worthy of a big, nasty, Hugo-esque, landfalling Cat 4-- and therefore I'll be mighty irritated if it's wasted on that crap N of Bermuda. (I assume the other piece of crap-- that deformity in the Gulf-- will be called Lee.)

Just an FYI.

If 94L gets upgraded at 5am, it will likely go straight to TS and thus be called Lee.

Too bad all the mid Texas coast research has gone to waste this year, but there is always Brownsville, and really, for future DVD sales, everyone wants Florida or (I know you hate it) the Northeast Megalopolis,

Los Fresnos, close enough to BRO for serious action? Lakes, lovers, palm trees.

post-138-0-46290700-1315367746.gif

So that Gulf disturbance is evolving nicely-- will be named Nate at 5 pm EDT. And it seems the models are starting to converge on a landfall in MX-- perhaps around Tampico (give or take a few hundred mi).

Just getting some slight tingles from this.

That's Jorge's hometown. Given this, he better not be trying to get out of this one. Just sayin'. :sun:

I'm just not happy with the cyclones this season. We're already up to K-- and probably L by later this morning-- and so far the best we could do was a minimal Cat 3 (Irene) and one other sheared, minimal Cat 1 (Katia).

C'mon.

I was waiting for this post and just posted the same in SNE. the year of the TS not cane although Katia was a 3 for a while? Lack of heat content? NINA? probably will be a good year for a Caribbean OCT storm into Jamaica. These BOC blahs into Mexico horseback country are Meh.

I was waiting for this post and just posted the same in SNE. the year of the TS not cane although Katia was a 3 for a while? Lack of heat content? NINA? probably will be a good year for a Caribbean OCT storm into Jamaica. These BOC blahs into Mexico horseback country are Meh.

Yeah, the average quality is just mega-low this year. It's weird.

But I'm somewhat optimistic about Nate. I like BoC cyclones-- the way they can just spin up all of a sudden-- and MX landfalls are cool by me. It's tougher chase turf for an American dude, for sure-- but they get high-quality, Grade-A landfalls down there.

GFDL and Ukie are a direct Tampico hit (Don's and Phil's forecast ditto), HWRF is a tad north, but with Sern eyewall over Tampico, Euro is a tad south, but with Nern eyewall brushing Tampico... CMC is a bit late to the party, but has a landfall near or just N of Tampico... The GFS... oh well, wants to party at Popo's beach house, but changes it's mind and heads for Tampico, Illinois.

GFDL and Ukie are a direct Tampico hit (Don's and Phil's forecast ditto), HWRF is a tad north, but with Sern eyewall over Tampico, Euro is a tad south, but with Nern eyewall brushing Tampico... CMC is a bit late to the party, but has a landfall near or just N of Tampico... The GFS... oh well, wants to party at Popo's beach house, but changes it's mind and heads for Tampico, Illinois.

Can one catch 23 pound redfish in the surf in Tampico?

Better Tampico than Louisiana, for chase reasons and lighter winds, and from an Easterly versus a Northerly or Northeasterly direction. Just when things like the GFS showing less than 0.4 inches in the next 15 days and the 384 GEFS means look like tomorrow's, and I almost get depressed, I see the silver lining in a Mexico landfall (and chase).

post-138-0-71989900-1315511736.jpg

The Phil-cast is made to order for i-Cyclone.

Totally-- I felt like he made it just to see my reaction.

12Z GFS would be the ultimate C***tease, just meanders for a week, unlikely but a chasers nightmare.

Ugh, could you imagine? That would drive me nuts. Most here are expecting the cyclone to move a little more resolutely than that, fortunately.

Definitely having some increased tingles tonight. Jorge and I have been having some preliminary discussions Re: meeting in MTY and heading down to TAM together-- just like we did for Alex.

In other news, I am picking up this tomorrow: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/spk-cxb. I have now killed three cameras on chases due to water exposure: Dean 2007, Jimena 2009, and Irene 2011. Scott really yelled at me about it today on the phone-- really went off-- so I did some research, and this is the solution. No more water worries-- yay! :)

Archived