SnowHabit
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lmao:

Busted.

I'm so embarrassed.

It is that one little voice whispering to you, I know its there.

"Josh .... one of these days a CVC is going to deliver what you so far have only dreamed about."

Oh yeah, its gonna happen some day and why not now? Right? TO hell with sticking to your guns with these loathsome long trackers.

:)

It is that one little voice whispering to you, I know its there.

"Josh .... one of these days a CVC is going to deliver what you so far have only dreamed about."

Oh yeah, its gonna happen some day and why not now? Right? TO hell with sticking to your guns with these loathsome long trackers.

Well, I'll admit, one of my favorite cyclones ever--Dean 2007-- was pure African gold. So, I can't diss 'em too hard.

LOL!

BTW, just got the chance to watch your Ernesto video! Awesome as always! Hope you get the chance to go out again this season...

Oh, thanks very much for watching it-- I'm really glad you dug it! It's always cool to get the perspective of the board's elite, veteran tropical-met dudes. :)

Well, well...I wanted to chase Gordon. Actually, I thought the Azores would be a nice place to visit, and I'm kinda surprised that they haven't developed a larger tourist industry. But I can't find a flight that arrives before Tuesday and costs less than $5,000. Too bad; maybe you'd have more luck, Josh, if you were already in Europe.

As for "African gold," that creates a nasty environmental issue in this country, namely mercury deposition.

2009MDNdep.gif

African gold miners, like their Californian counterparts in the 1840s and 1850s, use mercury to recover gold from its ores. That mercury vaporizes, boils, or otherwise enters the atmosphere, and wind transports it across the Atlantic Ocean, creating the mercury problem you see on this map. Notice that the highest wet deposition of mercury occurred in south Florida.

Well, well...I wanted to chase Gordon. Actually, I thought the Azores would be a nice place to visit, and I'm kinda surprised that they haven't developed a larger tourist industry. But I can't find a flight that arrives before Tuesday and costs less than $5,000. Too bad; maybe you'd have more luck, Josh, if you were already in Europe.

As for "African gold," that creates a nasty environmental issue in this country, namely mercury deposition.

2009MDNdep.gif

African gold miners, like their Californian counterparts in the 1840s and 1850s, use mercury to recover gold from its ores. That mercury vaporizes, boils, or otherwise enters the atmosphere, and wind transports it across the Atlantic Ocean, creating the mercury problem you see on this map. Notice that the highest wet deposition of mercury occurred in south Florida.

Wow, I know mercury is bad, but at what levels is it considered a real health hazard when looking at that map? Looks like dust isn't the only thing coming across the Atlantic from Africa.

Wow, I know mercury is bad, but at what levels is it considered a real health hazard when looking at that map? Looks like dust isn't the only thing coming across the Atlantic from Africa.

The upper safe limit for mercury ingestion is somewhere between 0.1 and 0.3 micrograms per kg of bodyweight... So 18 micrograms over a whole year is hardly something with losing sleep over.

Wow-- that's really interesting. I didn't know mercury from Africa was even an issue, honestly. On the West Coast, we worry more about radiation from Japan.

Re: a chase in the Azores.... Dude, really?? You were considering that? Me: no way. It's very far away, it's a bunch of widely-spaced islands, and the hurricane's not going to be a beautiful specimen when it gets there. Granted, Ernie might have only been a Cat 1 (let's see what they say in postanalysis), but it had a sort of exquisite structural perfection that this baby ain't gonna have.

Not only did California miner use Mercury to get the gold out of the ore, but the cinnabar (mercury bearing ore was mined in a small town called Almaden which is now a suburb of San Jose. Don't know if those old mines are still there but the cinnabar still is in the ground.

Steve

Okay, I wasn't seriously considering a chase in the Azores this morning. I had to get to work Monday morning, and chasing hurricane wouldn't fit my schedule. Flights to the Azores from OKC just are very difficult to catch; apparently, the only nonstop flights from North America go to Toronto, Boston, and Oakland, none of which receive nonstop flights from OKC.

Still, if I had no entanglements and infinite wealth, especially if some airline offered cheap flights to the right island on short notice, then I'm sure it would have been quite exciting. High-latitude cyclones usually have larger wind fields than their deep-tropical counterparts. I'm sure it would have proved a challenging and rewarding chase. And even without the hurricane, the Azores look like a really nice place to visit any time of year.

Okay, I wasn't seriously considering a chase in the Azores this morning. I had to get to work Monday morning, and chasing hurricane wouldn't fit my schedule. Flights to the Azores from OKC just are very difficult to catch; apparently, the only nonstop flights from North America go to Toronto, Boston, and Oakland, none of which receive nonstop flights from OKC.

Still, if I had no entanglements and infinite wealth, especially if some airline offered cheap flights to the right island on short notice, then I'm sure it would have been quite exciting. High-latitude cyclones usually have larger wind fields than their deep-tropical counterparts. I'm sure it would have proved a challenging and rewarding chase. And even without the hurricane, the Azores look like a really nice place to visit any time of year.

Well, you can have it! High-latitude cyclones with large wind fields definitely aren't my cup of tea. I wouldn't have chased Gordon if I were a bored billionaire with an empty calendar. :D

I found that full radar loop as Carla approached shore that I've been telling you about over the years.

Thought I remember you recently saying that you had seen it....

Just frames of it. Please post or send.

^^ I'm glad you made the decision to chase Ernesto,

Thank you-- me, too. :)

Josh, i dont think you would chase a few of those canes you posted above :lol:

Think again. I haven't ruled out Nicaragua. :)

BTW -- you should do this :lol:

http://www.washingto...bab19_blog.html

Ugh. That's what I dislike about TWC crews-- they make it about them, not the damn hurricane. TWC's Claudette footage in Port O'Connor, TX, is a perfect example. The footage is entirely of Jeff Morrow acting dramatic-- so you can't see the actual storm happening. It's like, please get out of the way so I can see the hurricane, thank you very much!

[media]

[/media]

:wub:

Wow-- very cool find!! Awesome. I like how the core seemed to tighten again as it neared the coast.

Damn that ground clutter, though-- and I wish it lasted through to landfall.

Just image what a Carla would look like with the technology today... ;)

:(

Anita_radar.PNG

:thumbsup:

Archived