Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

Low temp heat wave :arrowhead:

DCA has not gotten to 75 or below since July 18th... if my mental math is correct, when we hit 7pm today it will be the 300th consecutive hour with readings above 75.

BEGIN: KDCA 181152Z 22008KT 10SM SCT250 25/20 A3010 RMK AO2 SLP191 T02500200 10256 20228 50006

~~~~~~ KDCA 181052Z 21004KT 10SM BKN250 23/20 A3010 RMK AO2 SLP191 T02330200

I thought they did drop into the upper 60s or near 70 once after a rain within the last week or so. I think MNTransplant posted it...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Historically, approximately six times during historically hot mid Atlantic summers, in August, sharply cooler departures have developed.

In those year, by coincidence the blast furnace heatwaves have broken just about the time of the Pleiades meteor shower on August 11/12.

Think of

At BWI, this season there have been

8 daily highs of 95 to 99

and

5 daily highs of 100 and above.

Historically, approximately six times during historically hot mid Atlantic summers, in August, sharply cooler departures have developed.

In those year, by coincidence the blast furnace heatwaves have broken just about the time of the Pleiades meteor shower on August 11/12.

Think of

At BWI, this season there have been

8 daily highs of 95 to 99

and

5 daily highs of 100 and above.

But didn't the heat come back in August of 1980. I remember there being quite a few 90 degree plus days late in the season. Is my old brain failing me?

But didn't the heat come back in August of 1980. I remember there being quite a few 90 degree plus days late in the season. Is my old brain failing me?

I think you could be correct. Apparently the average mean daily temperature for August at BWI is 74.5 and in August of 1980, the monthly mean of daily averages was 78.7

which seems toasty. I should give full disclosure credit Frank Roylance and his blog in the the Baltimore Sun. Additionally, am not sure where NWS hides the daily highs and lows for

previous years.

Another interesting tidbit is this item from the Sterling climate reports for June of this year:

THE BIG CLIMATE STORY THIS JUNE IN BALTIMORE WAS THE HEAT... ESPECIALLY IN THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF THE MONTH. AVERAGE TEMPERATURES WERE ABOVE NORMAL FOR THE FIFTH STRAIGHT MONTH. JUNE 2011 RANKED AS THE 11TH WARMEST JUNE SINCE RECORDS BEGAN IN 1870...BUT WAS STILL OVER THREE DEGREES LOWER THAN LAST JUNE 2010. THE SEVEN 90-DEGREE DAYS THIS JUNE WERE CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN LAST YEAR...2010...THAT FEATURED 16 90-DEGREE DAYS. FIVE OF THE SEVEN 90-DEGREE DAYS THIS JUNE OCCURRED IN THE FIRST 10 DAYS OF THE MONTH. THE MAX TEMPERATURE AVERAGED 89.8F FROM 1-10 JUNE...WHICH WAS ONLY SECOND WARMEST ON RECORD DURING THIS 10-DAY PERIOD TO 94.8F IN 1925. THREE DAILY MAX TEMPERATURE RECORDS WERE BROKEN THIS MONTH... ON THE 1ST...THE MAX TEMPERATURE OF 98F BROKE THE DAILY MAX TEMPERATURE RECORD OF 97F THAT STOOD FOR 116 YEARS SINCE 1895. ON THE 8TH...THE MAX TEMPERATURE OF 99F BROKE THE PREVIOUS MAX TEMPERATURE RECORD OF 97F SET IN 1999. ON THE 9TH...THE MAX TEMPERATURE OF 100F BROKE THE PREVIOUS MAX TEMPERATURE RECORD OF 98F SET IN 1874 AND 1933. THE HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 100F WAS THE SECOND EARLIEST OCCURRENCE OF TEMPERATURES REACHING THE CENTURY MARK IN BALTIMORE. THE 101F ON 5 JUNE 1925 WAS THE ONLY EARLIER OCCURRENCE. WITH TWO 100-DEGREE DAYS OBSERVED LAST JUNE...IT WAS THE FIRST TIME ON RECORD THAT TEMPERATURES AT BALTIMORE HAVE REACHED TRIPLE DIGITS IN JUNE IN CONSECUTIVE YEARS. PRECIPITATION WAS NEAR NORMAL THIS JUNE. OVER HALF OF THE MONTH`S RAIN WAS RECORDED ON THE 16TH WHEN A STRONG THUNDERSTORM MOVED OVER THE AIRPORT. THE STORM ON THE 16TH DROPPED 1.96 INCHES OF RAIN... 1.33 INCHES OF WHICH FELL BETWEEN 11 PM AND 12 AM EST...SETTING A NEW DAILY RAINFALL RECORD.

There was like a 9 day break then we had 14 90+ in sept after 22 in aug.

Where are you finding daily temperature archives?

I got them as txt files from someone at NWS and converted them to Excel. I update them every so often with new data. I think NCDC has em somewhere but I don't know where.

I don't know what is more impressive. Another 95+ day or the fact that some years don't make it that high.

for now probably the latter.. but that could change in august i suppose. for some reason i have a suspicion august wont be super bad but i would not have guessed we'd get a record july either.

Looks like another 95 degree day is in offing too. 93.9 at noon. We should be able to get another degree before heating backs off.

Yeah for sure. The drier NW winds are kicking butt. 7 lows 80+ too unless it rains or something. Crazy month.

This is the nastiest month I can remember. I went outside to pick tomatoes and baked.

96.. Maybe we beat yesterday. See some storms east of

here in Annapolis .. Look nice from here.

Yeah, and Firday Veronica Johnson was making it sound like we were only goinbg to have one really hot day. To me any day over 95 is hot. Beating 97 would be amazing.

its amazing that she is getting paid in the weather field

It's pretty bad. Even the kids didn't want any part of it and opted to stay in. I just want this over. I didn't think last year could be beat.

It's so hot you must be delerious an think it's winter.

While playing softball Friday night, dripping in sweat, I thought of snow. It didn't help keep me cool.

Good to get snow thoughts out of the way before the cold rain season.

Archived