Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deck Pic

HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

2,052 posts in this topic

ahh the chart. i ran for y-day, we were 10 behind 2010 but up in the pack for sure.

time to start guessing what the monthly avg will be... ;)

GFS MOS leaves us at #1: 83.7°

Pretty much a lock for hottest July on record.

It got to 95 at DCA? Feck's sake...why won't it just cool off a bit?

That said, I was wearing jeans when I went to Dulles today. Didn't feel too terrible.

Battle for the ages today. High starting point and advantageous DCA location vs cold air advection.

GFS MAV says yes

GFS MEX says yes

GFS raw says no

NAM MET says no

NAM raw says no

Just for those of us keeping score, all 3 airports have been 90+ since July 18th, right? Also, I can't find the thread where "heat wave" was defined, but was it that all three airports had to be 90 or above for three consecutive days, or any airport for three consecutive days, or something completely different? :unsure:

Just for those of us keeping score, all 3 airports have been 90+ since July 18th, right? Also, I can't find the thread where "heat wave" was defined, but was it that all three airports had to be 90 or above for three consecutive days, or any airport for three consecutive days, or something completely different? :unsure:

"Heat Wave" is just for one site, and it is 90+ for three days. It is a lame definition in the heart of summer, but that's what we have.

"Heat Wave" is just for one site, and it is 90+ for three days. It is a lame definition in the heart of summer, but that's what we have.

We've had 93+ highs at DCA since the 18th if that makes you feel any better :weight_lift:

Dulles didn't make it Monday I think.

No worries... we got this.

If we can't get 4 degrees under full sun after 11 a in July we truly suck.

on a side note i watched the 11p news for the first time in 300 years and veronica johnson got both this yrs 90+ total wrong and last yrs to date as well in an on screen comparo. im sure most wont realize it but it was still kinda sad.

Dulles didn't make it Monday I think.

91? Preliminary monthly climate report. I don't know when but maybe a cheapie in the early morning? Maybe it's called preliminary because it's not accurate?

On a different note, I'm heading to Death Valley tomorrow. Expected high of 115 Friday.

91? Preliminary monthly climate report. I don't know when but maybe a cheapie in the early morning? Maybe it's called preliminary because it's not accurate?

On a different note, I'm heading to Death Valley tomorrow. Expected high of 115 Friday.

ahh, I guess it did. I saw someone comment on CWG they only made it to 88... i guess they were wrong.

anywho... tied for last yr July 90+ now!

ahh, I guess it did. I saw someone comment on CWG they only made it to 88... i guess they were wrong.

anywho... tied for last yr July 90+ now!

What's our streak number? 21? With 10 in the bag, and MOS on board with another 7, things might get interesting.

What's our streak number? 21? With 10 in the bag, and MOS on board with another 7, things might get interesting.

yeah, 21 in 1980/88. 18 is the first target I suppose.

I wonder if the number of 95 degree days can equal the average number of 90 degree days. Heck today it's already 91 at dca. It won't reach 95 but probably will get to 92 or maybe even 93. We're blowing by last years July record.

I just downloaded the USGS temperature series for the Potomac River at Little Falls back to 1988. Amazing stuff

Highest Max water temperature: 7/22/11, 35.4°C

Highest Min water temperature: 7/24/11, 32.7°C

Highest Mean water temperature: 7/23/11, 33.5°C

The lower potomac is really hot too. I'll have my thermometer working tomorrow to get some lower river temps.....they'll be in F.

I just downloaded the USGS temperature series for the Potomac River at Little Falls back to 1988. Amazing stuff

I was at a pool this past weekend that was 97 degrees. I'm glad to see it wasn't the only body of water that was hot tub temperature.

Poor smallmouth...

:(

12z GFS is just ugly. Hot and dry the entire run. Not a day below 90 at DCA, 850s don't drop below 17°C.

Just looking at Raleigh's maps, the Euro doesn't drop below 17°C either through 10 days.

Per SPC's mesoanalysis, we are at 16°C right now.