SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

91? Preliminary monthly climate report. I don't know when but maybe a cheapie in the early morning? Maybe it's called preliminary because it's not accurate?

On a different note, I'm heading to Death Valley tomorrow. Expected high of 115 Friday.

ahh, I guess it did. I saw someone comment on CWG they only made it to 88... i guess they were wrong.

anywho... tied for last yr July 90+ now!

What's our streak number? 21? With 10 in the bag, and MOS on board with another 7, things might get interesting.

yeah, 21 in 1980/88. 18 is the first target I suppose.

I just downloaded the USGS temperature series for the Potomac River at Little Falls back to 1988. Amazing stuff

Highest Max water temperature: 7/22/11, 35.4°C

Highest Min water temperature: 7/24/11, 32.7°C

Highest Mean water temperature: 7/23/11, 33.5°C

The lower potomac is really hot too. I'll have my thermometer working tomorrow to get some lower river temps.....they'll be in F.

I just downloaded the USGS temperature series for the Potomac River at Little Falls back to 1988. Amazing stuff

Highest Max water temperature: 7/22/11, 35.4°C

Highest Min water temperature: 7/24/11, 32.7°C

Highest Mean water temperature: 7/23/11, 33.5°C

I was at a pool this past weekend that was 97 degrees. I'm glad to see it wasn't the only body of water that was hot tub temperature.

12z GFS is just ugly. Hot and dry the entire run. Not a day below 90 at DCA, 850s don't drop below 17°C.

Just looking at Raleigh's maps, the Euro doesn't drop below 17°C either through 10 days.

Per SPC's mesoanalysis, we are at 16°C right now.

Today is the 11th consecutive 90-degree day at RIC. Looks like we could enter into the top 3 longest stretches of 90-degree heat with the way things are trending.

1. 27 days (July 11-August 6, 1995)

2. 19 days (July 3-21, 1993)

3. 17 days (July 30-August 15, 1980)

12z GFS is just ugly. Hot and dry the entire run. Not a day below 90 at DCA, 850s don't drop below 17°C.

Just looking at Raleigh's maps, the Euro doesn't drop below 17°C either through 10 days.

Per SPC's mesoanalysis, we are at 16°C right now.

Climatology is hot right now...average 850 T for late July is 17 to 18C. GFS 850T anomalies are slightly above average. ho hum

just a couple hours west and a wee wee bit of elevation . ( that and no concrete or asphalt for for miles)

high 86.3 today. which is way way hotter than I like.

only 2 days plus 90 this year and 4 other days with a high of 90.

hate the heat and glad I don't live where the records are being broken.

what's the record for # of days in a row of +90F?

21 at DC, but we quickly jump toward the top after the next few. Though I don't have "second longest" by yr, which perhaps I should since a yr like 1988 had a 21 and an 18 (which would be second longest on its own).

Thought this was an interesting reference from the LWX discussion:

IN AN INTERESTING SIDE NOTE - LAST SUMMER I DID A TEMP COMPARISON

OF 5 OF THE HOTTEST SUMMERS ON DC RECORDS - 1930..1936..1980..1988..

AND 2010 AND LOOKED AT THOSE SLIDES. IN THE 1ST 4 OF THOSE THERE

WAS A SIGNIFICANT COOL DOWN DURG MID AUG. THE XCPTN WAS LAST SUMMER

WHICH KEPT UP W/ THE >90 TEMPS THRU THE END OF AUG. 1930`S DC JUL

TEMPS ACTUALLY LOOK FAIRLY SIMILAR TO THIS MONTHS - THE AVG HIGH

WAS 91.6 (THIS MONTH 92.8) ALTHO THE AVG LOW HAS BEEN 5 DEGS

WARMER THIS MONTH. IN 1930 THE HIGH HEAT KEPT UP THRU 8/9...TOPPING

100 ON 5 MORE DAYS. BUT THEN TEMPS DROPPED DRAMATICALLY - AFTR A

HIGH OF 102 ON 8/9 THERE WAS A LOW OF 56 ON THE 12TH AND 55 ON THE

13TH. BOTH THE 8/9 HIGH AND 8/13 LOW RMN AS RECORDS FOR THE DAY.

THAT MUST`VE BEEN ONE HECK OF COLD FNT. NOW TO WAIT AND SEE IF

HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF.

Not sure there's any reason to expect such a cooldown - how do the major climo factors this year compare to 1930?

There was a brief cooldown in Aug 1980, but it ended up warmer than 2010 going into Sept. I think generally it's hard to sustain neverending heat. I would suspect we get some sort of cooldown in Aug though I would not necessarily bet the house on it.

There was a brief cooldown in Aug 1980, but it ended up warmer than 2010 going into Sept. I think generally it's hard to sustain neverending heat. I would suspect we get some sort of cooldown in Aug though I would not necessarily bet the house on it.

A cooldown from the hottest month on record? I think I would bet my house on it ;)

A cooldown from the hottest month on record? I think I would bet my house on it ;)

well i guess i meant "cooldown" like "hey it feels cool out there today" or "cool august". usually at some pt in august we get a decent cold front that gives a few nice days at least.

Archived