• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big hail on this Monson cam?

http://www.wundergro...nWX/1/show.html

Don't we have a poster in Monson?

I hope that kid "Monsonwx", who used to post on Eastern, is ok.

wunderground tweeted out a live cam called monsonwx on their site after the first round, with power no damage -- not sure that's him but could be?

He stopped posting on eastern a while before we moved here, not sure where he went, but hopefully his neighborhood was spared.

Hi there, I just noticed and got a chance to scroll through this thread. Thanks for being concerned. For those who haven't seen my posts from late June, just wanted to let everyone know about what my day was like that day. That wunderground cam was mine. I was formerly MonsonWeather/MonsonWX on the old board. I posted from time to time during snow/severe events.

My HS graduation was to be on June 3rd. The morning of June 1 we had a graduation rehearsal and that night was supposed to be our senior awards night, June 2 was to be the "baccalaureate" ceremony at the First Church which lost its steeple.

Because of this I wasn't paying much attention to the wx data and therefore didn't realize the potential of the situation beforehand(I am going to Lyndon at the end of the month to study Atmos. Sci). I did know of and was watching the slight risk for the day, and was surprised when I saw they had issued a tor watch (because I hadn't seen the data leading up to it). I then watched the cells in nearby areas, particularly the TOR warning for the Northampton area. I then did notice the cell that was clearly rotating and moving out of the Berkshires into Western Hampden county. I was watching WWLP during all of this, and was watching as they showed the tornado as the condensation funnel formed in the West Springfield area. Obviously I was shocked, but never would've guessed it would make it all the way out here. It didn't look particularly impressive on the skycam.

Soon after this, I started getting hail. Up to almost golfball sized here. If you used to follow any of my posts on Eastern, you might recall that I would always get shafted (in both snow and severe events). I rarely got hail of any size here in Monson. Here is a video I took at 4:48PM http://monsonweather.org/IMG_0625.MOV. After about 4:54-4:57 the tornado hit Monson. I headed outside as the hail ended and entered the calm period before the tornado/hook moved in. Note that I live only about 1/2 mile north of the center of Monson, where the tornado hit, and had no damage. I was very lucky. Here is a pic I took at 4:55, looking south: http://monsonweather.org/IMG_0627.JPG . Looking to the southeast, I eventually noticed what looked like debris flying in the air and could definitely hear the roaring freight train noise. Here is a video from 4:56 where you can hear the roar: http://monsonweather.org/IMG_0629.MOV . After this, I headed into the basement (the only time I've ever really been worried about a severe event). Had I been in my backyard, I'd have been able to see the tornado.

I was unaware really that a tornado had hit and done damage at first. Things didn't really click in my mind. While we were in the basement, the power surged for a while and then stayed on. Soon later I noticed a picture a friend's brother had taken of what was left of his home. I then went downtown and saw the unbelievable damage. Clearly we were extremely lucky here, no damage. My WX station recorded a gust of 40MPH from the W that day. Though the anemometer is on the roof, I've never gotten a recording of anything more than 35, and I've had the station since 2004. Certainly an unforgettable couple of weeks here in Monson afterwards.

Hi there, I just noticed and got a chance to scroll through this thread. Thanks for being concerned. For those who haven't seen my posts from late June, just wanted to let everyone know about what my day was like that day. That wunderground cam was mine. I was formerly MonsonWeather/MonsonWX on the old board. I posted from time to time during snow/sever events.

My HS graduation was to be on June 3rd. The morning of June 1 we had a graduation rehearsal and that night was supposed to be our senior awards night, June 2 was to be the "baccalaureate" ceremony at the First Church which lost its steeple.

Because of this I wasn't paying much attention to the wx data and therefore didn't realize the potential of the situation beforehand(I am going to Lyndon at the end of the month to study Atmos. Sci). I did know of and was watching the slight risk for the day, and was surprised when I saw they had issued a tor watch (because I hadn't seen the data leading up to it). I then watched the cells in nearby areas, particularly the TOR warning for the Northampton area. I then did notice the cell that was clearly rotating and moving out of the Berkshires into Western Hampden county. I was watching WWLP during all of this, and was watching as they showed the tornado as the condensation funnel formed in the West Springfield area. Obviously I was shocked, but never would've guessed it would make it all the way out here. It didn't look particularly impressive on the skycam.

Soon after this, I started getting hail. Up to almost golfball sized here. If you used to follow any of my posts on Eastern, you might recall that I would always get shafted (in both snow and severe events). I rarely got hail of any size here in Monson. Here is a video I took at 4:48PM http://monsonweather.org/IMG_0625.MOV. After about 4:54-4:57 the tornado hit Monson. I headed outside as the hail ended and entered the calm period before the tornado/hook moved in. Note that I live only about 1/2 mile north of the center of Monson, where the tornado hit, and had no damage. I was very lucky. Here is a pic I took at 4:55, looking south: http://monsonweather.org/IMG_0627.JPG . Looking to the southeast, I eventually noticed what looked like debris flying in the air and could definitely hear the roaring freight train noise. Here is a video from 4:56 where you can hear the roar: http://monsonweather.org/IMG_0629.MOV . After this, I headed into the basement (the only time I've ever really been worried about a severe event). Had I been in my backyard, I'd have been able to see the tornado.

I was unaware really that a tornado had hit and done damage at first. Things didn't really click in my mind. While we were in the basement, the power surged for a while and then stayed on. Soon later I noticed a picture a friend's brother had taken of what was left of his home. I then went downtown and saw the unbelievable damage. Clearly we were extremely lucky here, no damage. My WX station recorded a gust of 40MPH from the W that day. Though the anemometer is on the roof, I've never gotten a recording of anything more than 35, and I've had the station since 2004. Certainly an unforgettable couple of weeks here in Monson afterwards.

Hi Monsonwx...great to hear you guys were spared in your neighborhood!!! Thanks for the account. That was a crazy day and a crazy thread for following severe wx here in NE...as I'm sure you saw in the thread.

Leading up to that event, that was the most I think all of the mets had posted on the potential for a severe wx outbreak here. Even I was excited and I'm the equivalent of Ryan (CT_rain) in winter when it comes to severe wx in New England as I'm sure you recall from eastern. If there was ever a setup to produce tornadoes in New England, this was it. It was our big one here. Definitely a very memorable day and event.

Hi Monsonwx...great to hear you guys were spared in your neighborhood!!! Thanks for the account. That was a crazy day and a crazy thread for following severe wx here in NE...as I'm sure you saw in the thread.

Leading up to that event, that was the most I think all of the mets had posted on the potential for a severe wx outbreak here. Even I was excited and I'm the equivalent of Ryan (CT_rain) in winter when it comes to severe wx in New England as I'm sure you recall from eastern. If there was ever a setup to produce tornadoes in New England, this was it. It was our big one here. Definitely a very memorable day and event.

lol :)

Looking back on it it was pretty clear that there was a good threat. I hadn't looked at soundings, BUFKIT, anything in the days preceding to the storm, so it was a surprise for me. Even so, an EF3 in Hampden County is a surprise no matter what, ha.

Jesus listen to that sound....wow. Glad you made out ok, Monsonwx.

That is incredible... you'd think he was right near the approach to Logan. Wow is right.

It was definitely very intense. Mom thought there was actually a train going by, there are tracks that run down the center valley of town and are about 500' from here.

~Chris

• 3 years later...

i want to see this again!!!  :lmao: My choices i made were awesome that day drove up saw the amazing severe storm in Northampton thinking that was one of the best storms ive ever been in and then to see this on my way home made the day epic!!  :twister:

i still cant believe the springfield tornado passed right in front of me scariest thing i have ever been threw and to go on the ramp to 291 and just watch it go threw downtown springfield was amazing just wow still havent slept!

after reading the rest of the post before this i was a little late on posting driving threw downtown before alot of emts and police were around was a site to see people were going nuts and just in shock ill never forget this day! I think one of the hardest things was though was realizing 5 minutes before i got home driving on 57 and thinking wow this could have went over my house got home and it just missed but had large branches down everywhere and my street had debris all over it even if i was home that day i still would have seen it just epic! 

omg omg omg just had a tornado cross in front of me on 91 coming home from northampton me and some other guy blocked the highway and tried to stop people from keep going then jumped on a ramp to get on 291 and saw it rip threw springfield springfield took a direct hit

I had the choice as well I could either drive toward the tornado or drive on 84 east towards my pad in Ellington at the time. my wife called me, having 3 children she knew what I was thinking before I could even talk she said DONT DO IT!!. I watched the menacing sky from atop a hill just east of the valley in Ellington , staring at my phone and then calling my parents who lived in Springfield but my weenie dad and Mom had already left to go chase the previous storm that was heading eastward from Northampton. It took them forever to get home because they had to drive around the tornado damage path because all the roads were closed to get to Forest Park Springfield. Meanwhile, my inlaws also live in Springfield and were only a quarter mile from the tornado and we could not get a hold of them and were very scared. I decided to venture out and see what I can find but could not get close to their house and then I got to witness a second warned cell with an ominous green sky and hail as it was passing just to my north. I was contacted by my sister and told that my in laws were okayand started to head back home but I was so shocked at what I was seeing and people were just walking around helpless and scared. it was a life changing experience.

having deep roots in the city of Springfield, and seeing the events that took place I decided to volunteer for a relief organization that distributed basic essentials to some very poor areas on the south side of Springfield. I heard some very amazing stories and saw some very sad damage, I remember a man grasping his children under his arms and saying "I have my family and that's what really matters in a choked up voice"as his neighborhood was full of damaged homes and strewn debris. I remember walking past a church in the neighborhood and it was remarkably untouched and it was the Sunday after the event and it was full of people singing and clapping as we walked past and an african-american man walked up to me and he said it's going to be alright and smiled, remarkably it was almost miraculous that only a few people were killed from the amount of damaged that I witnessed not only in Springfield but in my surveys of the surrounding communities.

im surprised they didnt make it back before the tornado hit it.. I watched the northampton storm stayed for a bit then still made it back for the springfield tornado!! the best part of that day was that I had no idea there was even a storm until I got to exit 13S on 91.. looked at the sky and almost just knew something was about to happen kept driving and right in front of me there it was!!  :twister:

I had the choice as well I could either drive toward the tornado or drive on 84 east towards my pad in Ellington at the time. my wife called me, having 3 children she knew what I was thinking before I could even talk she said DONT DO IT!!. I watched the menacing sky from atop a hill just east of the valley in Ellington , staring at my phone and then calling my parents who lived in Springfield but my weenie dad and Mom had already left to go chase the previous storm that was heading eastward from Northampton. It took them forever to get home because they had to drive around the tornado damage path because all the roads were closed to get to Forest Park Springfield. Meanwhile, my inlaws also live in Springfield and were only a quarter mile from the tornado and we could not get a hold of them and were very scared. I decided to venture out and see what I can find but could not get close to their house and then I got to witness a second warned cell with an ominous green sky and hail as it was passing just to my north. I was contacted by my sister and told that my in laws were okayand started to head back home but I was so shocked at what I was seeing and people were just walking around helpless and scared. it was a life changing experience.

im surprised they didnt make it back before the tornado hit it.. I watched the northampton storm stayed for a bit then still made it back for the springfield tornado!! the best part of that day was that I had no idea there was even a storm until I got to exit 13S on 91.. looked at the sky and almost just knew something was about to happen kept driving and right in front of me there it was!! :twister:

if I remember correctly they kept chasing the first cell eastward into Worcester county and by the time I contacted them they were still well northeast of the Springfield tornado but had a heck of a time getting back southwest because they had to drive through the tornado damage path. That's amazing that you got to see it so up close and personal, I was just a little too far away in Ellington even though I was up higher but the color of the sky and the swirling clouds were unforgettable.

I got really lucky that day just glad i wasnt two minutes faster because I would have been crossing the memorial bridge and as everyone knows it went right over it I probably would have s*** myself lol That was the second tornado i have ever seen the first one was in southern quebec it passed over the golf course next to my grandfathers across the lake then threw the woods that one was even closer to me but alot weaker.. hoping to see my third this year just hope the next one is a little further away and hope im with paul-wiz to see it i would love to see his reaction!  :lmao:

if I remember correctly they kept chasing the first cell eastward into Worcester county and by the time I contacted them they were still well northeast of the Springfield tornado but had a heck of a time getting back southwest because they had to drive through the tornado damage path. That's amazing that you got to see it so up close and personal, I was just a little too far away in Ellington even though I was up higher but the color of the sky and the swirling clouds were unforgettable.

Archived