• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

Well that's what I mean. It's a learning experience. You are young. As you get older you will be able to travel wherever you want to see these weather events.

Mishaps are one of God's greatest gifts in life because if it were not for them, people would be deprived of many a learning opportunity and in turn evolve as human beings at a much more deliberate pace.

It's a shame that they are perceived under the guise of misforune, when in fact they are the greatest facilitator of growth that this world will ever know.

Adversity facilitates growth.

I'm out....cut the noose, Paul.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but something like today is much more rare than a perfect game and I just felt so confident about today, how everything was coming together...I know we've had threats in the past but there was always something wrong and it got overlooked...today had EVERYTHING. Who knows when that will happen again.

Sure we could see more potent events over the next few weeks but for something like today to occur again?

Why not move to Oklahoma?

I really will beat myself up for this for a very long time. This was my chance. The pattern should remain favorable for the next few weeks at least thankfully but what the hell are the chances of something like this happening again this year.

Plus in a few weeks I start my full time summer job and there is NO way I can take a day off of work b/c I work at a camp...plus this is my chance to get my loans paid off so I can get back to school and I need to do this this summer.

In the long run this event was just a tiny tiny blip on a huge radar, so to speak. Every damn storm entering Hillsborough County weakened yesterday...I wish I were playing softball instead of refreshing the damn radar for hours, but that's the way it goes.

anyway, let it go dude. Life is so long for you, especially when you are barely 21 years old ...

Heck, it's only June 2nd ... ;)

I absolutely hate myself...I am really going to try and refrain from posting b/c there is no way in hell I will be able to keep my emotions in check...I'll let my emotions out other places. I'm just too freaking weird...that's the issue...I really wanted to say I couldn't make it but I'd feel bad. it just sucks.

I did get to watch that stuff coming in from Litchfield county though after 7...GREAT structure.

Other than this would a complete fail...been waiting for this day since 5/31/98...my ONE chance and that ONE opportunity and I blew it. Just fooking stupid.

You poor thing. I know how much this hurts but, like others have said, it's just a blip in the long run. I'm pretty sure you'll reach a point in your life where you'll have seen so many tornadoes you just won't care about this one event.

And I soooooo agree with Steve's post (below). He is totally right. It's great that you take your life responsibilities seriously-- that is not something you should hate yourself over. It's called doing the right thing. Yeah, sure, we'd all just love to hang out and chase all the time, but guess what? Most of us need to put real life first and deal with our obligations.

Cheer up, dude. :hug:

Do not kill yourself Paul, do not.mean that literally, good work ethic, not many kids your age show so much responsibility. It would have taken real luck to chase and see this today.

Annoying TV coverage on the damage reports on local stations.

A state legislator, presumably representing his area in southern Worcester county, was being interviewed by NECN commenting about the damage. He cited the car in Monson, on it's side against a tree of which there might be a pic elsewhere on this thread. The way he talked, it sounded like his was using the car as his example of why the damage in MA was like Joplin.

That really bothers me. One car against a tree does not equal Joplin damage. The relatively few houses flattened in a sea of trees in a narrow damage path does not equal Joplin damage. Tornadoes are not that common in MA. Outbreaks like what we just saw are rare in MA. There is very hard work ahead of the people affected by these storms. But nothing we had equals Joplin in anyway. I just found the comment to be very ignorant of storm damage in general and very disrespectful of the devastation that Joplin experienced.

I've also been waiting for this day since May 31, 1998, Wiz. I was at Kansas City International waiting for my flight home from storm chasing ironically. Now I have to deal with all my friends and people at work that are going to make the hilarious jokes like "Why'd you go storm chasing in Kansas? You should have stayed here....AhahahHAHAhHAha......amagad I so funny ahahahAhah Get it? " Cause there was one in Mass and you live there...AhahahahAH." :gun_bandana: Yeah real ****ing funny.

Oh well. Win some, lose some.

I've also been waiting for this day since May 31, 1998, Wiz. I was at Kansas City International waiting for my flight home from storm chasing ironically. Now I have to deal with all my friends and people at work that are going to make the hilarious jokes like "Why'd you go storm chasing in Kansas? You should have stayed here....AhahahHAHAhHAha......amagad I so funny ahahahAhah Get it? " Cause there was one in Mass and you live there...AhahahahAH." :gun_bandana: Yeah real ****ing funny.

Oh well. Win some, lose some.

kansas road net > mass road net. ;)

did you see anything?

kansas road net > mass road net. ;)

did you see anything?

Yeah. Most of the trip was a failure, but we made up for it May 30th in Nebraska, around Oneill. Saw 1 tornado and about 10 gustnadoes. And of course the usual intense lightning and marginal hail that goes along with storms out there. We were chilling at the edge of a couple storms with 3+ inch hail, too. It was a definitely a trip of learning experiences. Quite a roller coaster of emotions; from excitement, to depression from caps, to fear of dying because there's a tornado warned storm approaching and you're on a dirt road with cows in front of you, to the victory of finally seeing something worthy.

Yeah. Most of the trip was a failure, but we made up for it May 30th in Nebraska, around Oneill. Saw 1 tornado and about 10 gustnadoes. And of course the usual intense lightning and marginal hail that goes along with storms out there. We were chilling at the edge of a couple storms with 3+ inch hail, too. It was a definitely a trip of learning experiences. Quite a roller coaster of emotions; from excitement, to depression from caps, to fear of dying because there's a tornado warned storm approaching and you're on a dirt road with cows in front of you, to the victory of finally seeing something worthy.

cool--yeah saw vid of the gustnadoes etc. neat.. and yes, tho my trip was mostly a fail (tornado wise), i did feal that fear a bit myself on a dirt road in the bear cage at night in SD. i think i had ptsd the days after -- good stuff.. ;)

Further reply to powderfreak's history question, from http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/ (based on SPC archive): Definitely no other F3s in New England or New York since 1998. Most substantial tornado 'round these parts since then may have been the 7/24/2008 52-mile track from Deerfield NH, where it killed a woman, into ME, but that was F2.

1950-2010 I tally the following for New England:

MA: three F4 (one mostly in NY but with four fatalities in westernmost MA, though without further research I can't say for certain that F3 or F4 damage occurred in MA) and four F3. As an aside, according to this archive yesterday's tornadoes were the first of any kind in MA since July 2008. (Sorry wiz but as others have said, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING)

CT: two F4, four F3

RI: nothing stronger than F1

VT: at most just one F3, the last five miles of the 30-mile track beginning in Mechanicsville NY in that 1998 outbreak - without further research I don't know if any F3 damage occurred in VT

NH: two F3, one of them (in Exeter) the day of the Worcester MA long-track in 1953

ME: nothing stronger than F2

One other quick note re yesterday: Early in the event there were reports relayed by NH Dept of Safety of a TOG in Jefferson NH. The Dept of Safety spokesman said last night those reports were in error. No indication in LSRGYX of anything in NH or ME other than a report from the public of a funnel cloud to the north of Oxford ME. Also checked other area LSRs and also nothing in VT, CT or RI, and only a funnel reported by a trained spotter in NY a bit W of the VT line. So it appears the only confirmed tornadoes were in MA.

One other quick note re yesterday: Early in the event there were reports relayed by NH Dept of Safety of a TOG in Jefferson NH. The Dept of Safety spokesman said last night those reports were in error. No indication in LSRGYX of anything in NH or ME other than a report from the public of a funnel cloud to the north of Oxford ME. Also checked other area LSRs and also nothing in VT, CT or RI, and only a funnel reported by a trained spotter in NY a bit W of the VT line. So it appears the only confirmed tornadoes were in MA.

Update: GYX surveys have confirmed two EF-1s in Maine:

NOUS41 KGYX 030312 CCA
PNSGYX

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-031200

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
1112 PM EDT THU JUN 02 2011

...TORNADO CONFIRMED IN BRYANT POND IN OXFORD COUNTY MAINE...

LOCATION...2 MILES NORTHWEST OF BRYANT POND IN OXFORD COUNTY MAINE
DATE...06/01/2011
ESTIMATED TIME...335 PM
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING/CAUSE...EF-1
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...85 TO 100 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...25 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...0.25 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON 44.40383 -70.68166
ENDING LAT/LON 44.40540 -70.67698
FATALITIES...0
INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY ME HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO
ABOUT 2 MILES NORTHWEST OF THE TOWN OF BRYANT POND IN OXFORD COUNTY
MAINE ON 06/01/2011.  THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN ALONG GORE ROAD ON
THE SOUTHWEST SHORE OF NORTH POND AND MOVED OUT OVER NORTH POND
BEFORE DISSIPATING.  THE TORNADO SNAPPED OR UPROOTED NUMEROUS
TREES.  LARGE TREE BRANCHES WERE CARRIED MORE THAN A HALF MILE TO
THE OPPOSITE SHORE OF NORTH POND.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT
WEATHER.GOV/GRAY.

$

ST. JEAN
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
GRAY, MAINE

NOUS41 KGYX 030226
PNSGYX
MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-030630-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
1026 PM EDT THU JUN 2 2011

...TORNADO CONFIRMED FROM NEW PORTLAND TO EMBDEN IN SOMERSET
COUNTY MAINE...

LOCATION...NEW PORTLAND AND EMBDEN IN SOMERSET COUNTY MAINE
DATE...6/1/11
ESTIMATED TIME...5:51-6:06 PM
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING/CAUSE...EF1
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...90-100 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...200 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...8.4 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...44.9087N/-70.0273W
ENDING LAT/LON...44.8995N/-69.8566W
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

* NOTE THESE NUMBERS COULD CHANGE AFTER ISSUANCE OF THIS PRODUCT.

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY ME HAS CONFIRMED THAT A
TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN IN SOMERSET COUNTY MAINE ON 6/1/11.

THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR SCHOOL STREET IN THE TOWN OF NEW
PORTLAND WHERE MINOR TREE DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED. FROM THERE...THE
TORNADO TRAVELED EAST ABOUT 8 MILES THROUGH TOWN OF EMBDEN TO THE
KENNEBEC RIVER WHERE IT LIFTED OFF THE GROUND. THE TORNADO CROSSED
EMBDEN POND...SAND POND AND FAHI POND IN EMBDEN. ALONG ITS PATH...THE
TORNADO SNAPPED OR UPROOTED HUNDREDS OF TREES AND DAMAGED SEVERAL
BUILDINGS AND AT LEAST ONE VEHICLE. ALONG THE PATH...THE MOST SIGNIFICANT
DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED NEAR EMBDEN POND ROAD WHERE WINDS WERE ESTIMATED
TO BE BETWEEN 90 AND 100 MPH. BASED ON THE DAMAGE IN THIS
AREA...THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN E-F1 ON THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE.
THE MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH WAS ESTIMATED TO BE ABOUT 200 YARDS...ALSO
NEAR EMBDEN POND ROAD.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT
WEATHER.GOV/GYX.

$

JENSENIUS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
GRAY MAINE

I'm sure I'll get other chances, but that likely will come once I am able to get out west. I doubt I get a chance like this again here in SNE, even if we get a setup with an elevated tornado risk what are the chances that these tornadoes won't be rain wrapped? That's what makes this that more special as well, these tornadoes were not rain wrapped...in order for that to happen you need a special set of parameters in place and that just doesn't happen here.

I'm sure I'll get other chances, but that likely will come once I am able to get out west. I doubt I get a chance like this again here in SNE, even if we get a setup with an elevated tornado risk what are the chances that these tornadoes won't be rain wrapped? That's what makes this that more special as well, these tornadoes were not rain wrapped...in order for that to happen you need a special set of parameters in place and that just doesn't happen here.

Just like two MAJOR hurricanes probably could never possibly strike SNE, you never know. I hate to say it..highly unlikely but not impossible. Look at the results this year so far.

That being said, chasing the plains is by far the best bet. Save your money..;)

Annoying TV coverage on the damage reports on local stations.

A state legislator, presumably representing his area in southern Worcester county, was being interviewed by NECN commenting about the damage. He cited the car in Monson, on it's side against a tree of which there might be a pic elsewhere on this thread. The way he talked, it sounded like his was using the car as his example of why the damage in MA was like Joplin.

That really bothers me. One car against a tree does not equal Joplin damage. The relatively few houses flattened in a sea of trees in a narrow damage path does not equal Joplin damage. Tornadoes are not that common in MA. Outbreaks like what we just saw are rare in MA. There is very hard work ahead of the people affected by these storms. But nothing we had equals Joplin in anyway. I just found the comment to be very ignorant of storm damage in general and very disrespectful of the devastation that Joplin experienced.

I understand that this tornado was nothing compared to the Joplin tornado but still an EF3 or EF4 tornado for Massachusetts is very rare.

Archived