Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 tornado touch-downs in Sturbridge in 1 day, actually 2 hours apart- Is this a first for New England to have two separate tornadoes in the same town in one day?

maybe some of the mid-west folks could chime in with respect to out that way, but this i suspect is pretty darn rare anywhere. it's like winning the lottery twice...or something less fortunate.

any hail?

I doubt there was any hail bigger than pea sized once the storm got inside 128...the hail threat seemed to diminish uickly this evening, but the radar was indicating some pretty strong winds. Maybe some gusts to 50mph in the city?

2 tornado touch-downs in Sturbridge in 1 day, actually 2 hours apart- Is this a first for New England to have two separate tornadoes in the same town in one day?

God just realized my grandson was there on a field trip today, they left at 2 , he is home, they live with me.

maybe some of the mid-west folks could chime in with respect to out that way, but this i suspect is pretty darn rare anywhere. it's like winning the lottery twice...or something less fortunate.

I think some town in Georgia or Alabama(Tanner maybe) had an f4 and an f5 go through in the super outbreak in 74. A town in Indiana had two violent tornadoes the same day in the Palm Sunday outbreak in 65. It happens but is rather uncommon I think.

NWUS51 KBOX 020127LSRBOXPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA926 PM EDT WED JUN 01 2011..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON.....DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.... ..REMARKS..0432 PM TORNADO SPRINGFIELD 42.12N 72.54W06/01/2011 HAMPDEN MA AMATEUR RADIO A LETTER FROM SPRINGFIELD CAUGHT IN UPDRAFTS WAS FOUND IN MILLBURY AT 820 PM

Probably a good 50 mile trip in the air...

I drove into Strurbridge/Brimfield after the first tornado and was able to see the 2nd tor/circulation cross and move just North of rt.20. At the time, emergency vehicles were heading West on 20 towards Brimfield, but trees were down across the road and you could see the 1st track that crossed rt.20 heading ESE. It reminded me of the Wendell tornado from ~5 years ago. Sky turned pitch black with the 2nd tor/circulation and that is when I was able to get to the West of the circulation and follow it for ~ 5 miles before it dissipated.. Inflow was incredible.

it's as if there was some boundary from Springfield to Milford, MA look at the rainfall estimates...and how many storms tracked that same path.

That corridor from Springfield to Sturbridge seems to have had 3 separate waves of severe move through this afternoon. Amazing!

My in-laws house was about 1/4 mile from where a funnel most likely touched down. My father in-law said hardly any rain with the first wave just incredible wind and lightning.

NWUS51 KBOX 020127LSRBOXPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA926 PM EDT WED JUN 01 2011..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON.....DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.... ..REMARKS..0432 PM TORNADO SPRINGFIELD 42.12N 72.54W06/01/2011 HAMPDEN MA AMATEUR RADIO A LETTER FROM SPRINGFIELD CAUGHT IN UPDRAFTS WAS FOUND IN MILLBURY AT 820 PM

Probably a good 50 mile trip in the air...

There was housing insulation falling from the sky when I was in Sturbridge after the 1st tornado. I though I was seeing things...

I heard that Southbridge got nailed pretty bad...someone here posted that streets were closed and quite a bit of damage, so I nixed the idea of going up to look (it's about a 10 min. drive). I did go to Dudley, the next town over - there was no signs of anything happening there.

just got home from 3 separate chases in the Sturbridge/Brimfield/Springfield area.

Sturbridge on I84 was a mess - I missed the tornado by about 60 seconds. When I got there there was a car rolled over in the median, a large company truck pelted with debris and a lot of large trees were sheered off about half way up. A large highway sign lay mangled on 84 westbound and the air smelled heavily of pine and earth. I got off 84 going 20 West towards Brimfield and Palmer and decided to go back home in case my husband got home early and wanted to chase with me. Got home and found out that right after I went through Brimfield either a tornado or a microburst went through the area. Husband came home and told him about the damage in Springfield and how getting around 32 in Monson was impossible since a tornado touched down on Main Street toppling over the steeple on the church and apparently destroying 6-7 houses. We went back out to see if we couldn't get up to Springfield as another batch of storms was approaching the area. I91N was a parking lot - lots of damage to homes, billboards and buildings. We ended up going up towards Ludlow and chased the storm through the back side of Brimfield. Caught 84W and came home but heard on the radio a campground in Brimfield had at least one fatality.

As much as I love severe weather the idea of people losing their lives and having their property destroyed is not what I wish to see at all. I hope everyone here from the affected areas are okay.

Looks like that first tornado had an approximately 25 mile long path due east from Springfield to Sturbridge with its peak intensity over Monson. Will be interesting to read the post-mortem after the NWS inevitably sends a team out there into the field to determine track and intensity. May end up being one of the strongest tornadoes since the Worcester 53 storm for Massachusetts.

One of the most amazing light shows I have ever seen. Power was lost for several minutes, both occurring twice. Sirens every now.

Being north of the city on a hill it was pretty amazing to see the light show...not sure I have seen lightening like that before...

Looks like that first tornado had an approximately 25 mile long path due east from Springfield to Sturbridge with its peak intensity over Monson. Will be interesting to read the post-mortem after the NWS inevitably sends a team out there into the field to determine track and intensity. May end up being one of the strongest tornadoes since the Worcester 53 storm for Massachusetts.

This is from a really vulgar you tube video from just north of Monson

42d4d0af-eaf0-10d0.jpg

Archived