• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

They have pared the missing list down to a more reasonable 232.

That said, that still seems high for this late as they cross off the inevitable names that were elsewhere when it hit. The article:

http://www.msnbc.msn...191/ns/weather/

Pic to lead it is of a truck with a family that has painted the name of a missing 12-year-old on it. So I am guessing that there are still an additional number unaccounted for who are truly missing as a result of the storm.

A similar cnn article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/26/missouri.tornado/index.html?hpt=C1

They have pared the missing list down to a more reasonable 232.

That said, that still seems high for this late as they cross off the inevitable names that were elsewhere when it hit. The article:

http://www.msnbc.msn...191/ns/weather/

Pic to lead it is of a truck with a family that has painted the name of a missing 12-year-old on it. So I am guessing that there are still an additional number unaccounted for who are truly missing as a result of the storm.

A similar cnn article:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C1

I think most will turn out ok and be reunited with friends, relatives, etc. But...the last I heard there were still a number of unidentified dead(30 or so), and some of these may turn out to be among those. Also when you see the particular circumstances of someone's disappearance(sucked out of a demolished vehicle, etc) then you know they were transferred to some hospital somewhere, are in the morgue, or are still to be found out there. In cases this bad, there may not even be whole bodies and all. :(

Very very tragic and just such a bad case scenario this time. Such a strong, quick, rainwrapped tornado that just happened to develop and then explode and max out directly over a heavily populated area.

And the thought that many have had(including myself) that we would not see a single town fatality number like this again without a mass casualty event...goes right out the window..with a lot else this tornado season.

They have searched the debris area 4 times now and have not turned up anyone living or deceased since Tuesday. Not to say additional people may not be buried, But I suspect that the number would be very small (single digits). Undoubtedly some of those missing are at the morgue but currently unidentified. That should account for 30 of the mssing.

They are setting up a wifi hotspot in Joplin, if JoMo still has a laptop and remembers us then there will be an opportunity for him/her ot post.

I hope so. If they had the right street, then the damage appeared to be minor there. In that immediate area(three residential streets) there were no blue tarp things or signs or any roof damage at all-but a few blocks south and east you could see the blue tarps on roofs start and then the obvious significant damage.

there's hardly any damage to W 23rd Terrace St. major damage is found from Gabby St. Blvd and south...2 blocks away.

Yes, JoMO's house should be fine, if that is indeed where he lived. We all know how quickly this thing went from tornadogenesis to EF5, though, and while it would've been unwise, I'm not sure I could've resisted the urge to go outside and investigate at that point in the storm's cycle.

Yes, JoMO's house should be fine, if that is indeed where he lived. We all know how quickly this thing went from tornadogenesis to EF5, though, and while it would've been unwise, I'm not sure I could've resisted the urge to go outside and investigate at that point in the storm's cycle.

Yea to me this is a major red flag. I'm not sure if I buy the whole "he doesn't have access to the internet" thing.

There's no use to speculating but hopefully we find out good news soon.

Yea to me this is a major red flag. I'm not sure if I buy the whole "he doesn't have access to the internet" thing.

There's no use to speculating but hopefully we find out good news soon.

The list of the missing has been released here . Maybe an Admin that knows his name can check against the list to see if he is on this.

Hopefully all is well with him.

The list of the missing has been released here . Maybe an Admin that knows his name can check against the list to see if he is on this.

Heres my feelings on the situation of us all worrying about whats going on with JoMo. I dont know him personally or know his name or anything but for the past 4 years or so as an active member of this forum and the past one that shut down, JoMo is a die hard weather informer. He always posts info. and what not or answers to peoples questions regardless of the situation. This is what has me worried the most. I believe personally he would have found a way to get on here to let everyone know the situation he's in or whats going on. Im really starting to worry about him now and wish there was a way for someone to get his name and see if hes one of the missing. I dont want to speculate, cause hey he just might not have time and is really busy which is understandable. I just find it hard to believe he hasnt came on at all even for a second or so to give us all an update. They have stations setup in Joplin for people to access the internet dont they? I hope Im just worrying for nothing

It's not

Ah, OK-- cool. I misread your post and felt an odd sense of dread.

It's not like I'm friends with the dude on any level, but he's one of us-- part of our weather-nerd community-- and we want him to be OK.

Yeah, I'm not sure I read the last line the first go at it. I agree -- I expect he is OK, at least physically.

The Hospital damage is a great case study of what violent tornadoes could do to sturdy and well built structures. Large high-rises will remain standing, but completely gutted and denuded in some spots (like the top where only the steel frame is visible). Does anyone know if the hospital is salvageable?

The Hospital damage is a great case study of what violent tornadoes could do to sturdy and well built structures. Large high-rises will remain standing, but completely gutted and denuded in some spots (like the top where only the steel frame is visible). Does anyone know if the hospital is salvageable?

They are having structural engineers look at the building. My guess is it will need a lot of work but they wont have to demolish the entire structure.

Keep in mind even if JoMo is okay (and I sure hope he is), unfortunately there's a very good chance he may have family and friends who may not have been so lucky.

There are folks with the same surname (assuming it's correct) located in other parts of Joplin. Unclear whether they are all related though.

We need to give him time...

JoMo, while I believe is most likely OK, has most certainly had someone very close to him impacted by this directly. There is no way that some close friend, family, someone he knows closely wasn't hit by the storm. He needs to concentrate on that right now.....I mean, think about it, while he may have been home, god forbid, if he has kids, they could have been at a friends house that WAS hit.

Bottom line, there is about a 99% chance he knew someone's house who got destroyed, someone that was seriously hurt, someone that was, heaven forbid, killed. He has a lot on his plate, I can imagine.