• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

Still a 3 minute activation, however, if 10 minutes have passed between the last activation and the storm still has not arrived, they can blow them again for 3 minutes. They will also be able to activate them individually or in groups. They are going to start testing them individually on Feb 27th and silent testing will begin in the summer.

The solar panels are to charge the batteries if there is a loss of power.

Great news. Also, that sounds like they may be zoning them into areas that would go off if that area is in the warning polygon.

Don't know if this video has been posted yet. My best guess by the comments of the people in it is that it was shot southwest of St. Johns as the tornado approached the hospital. It really gives you an idea of how amorphous this thing looked like if you were on the wrong side of the rain curtain.

Don't know if this video has been posted yet. My best guess by the comments of the people in it is that it was shot southwest of St. Johns as the tornado approached the hospital. It really gives you an idea of how amorphous this thing looked like if you were on the wrong side of the rain curtain.

That is one I had not seen. I'm not sure exactly where that is. The comments say they were 0.4 miles east of the hospital, but I'm not sure about that. I am compiling a list of tornado videos (pre or during) that I'll post sometime.

Amazing videos still continue to be found regarding the Joplin Tornado. JoMO, any word on the new sirens that are going to be installed...will they be the "talking" kind, or just the regular outdoor warning sirens from Federal?

Bryan

I think it's just the Federal ones that are upgraded with solar panels and remote activation and silent testing. The one of here by me that was replaced after the tornado definitely has the remote activation and solar panel on it.

New video uploaded Feb 15th. This is over by the high school.This is similar to the gas station video. It does appear a gust front hits the area first before the tornado arrives and there is such a long duration of destruction.

THERE IS A LOT OF CUSSING ON HERE.... but.... wow.

New video uploaded Feb 15th. This is over by the high school.This is similar to the gas station video. It does appear a gust front hits the area first before the tornado arrives and there is such a long duration of destruction.

The one thing I always find so eerie about these immediate aftermath videos...is there is never another person in sight.

Like this one taken by the apartment complexes on 20th.

He even says it. Right in the middle of the city and not a person or sign of life anywhere. I'd think people would be screaming and crawling out of debris assembling in the streets. It somewhat gives the illusion that "everyone is gone". Must have been absolutely hell.

Scary vid to be sure.

What I don't get though is the same person in the above vid also posted this one..

Ok, I have mapped a lot of the videos in this thread and some I have found. These are shortly before, during, or shortly after the tornado stationary videos. I know I am probably missing many, and there's another that was filmed at the KSN studio parking lot that I can't find but I know exists. If you have found a new video, let me know and I'll add it to the map.

Thanks to those that posted them and cyclone77 for finding the location to several of these.

These videos are videos from youtube, they may have cussing in them.

The map is 2 parts, it basically divides the path in half. Part 1.

post-152-0-73508500-1330152696.jpg

1. KSN-TV TowerCam (Marked)

2. Cedar Ridge: (Marked)

3. Cedar Ridge 2: (Marked)

4. 24th and Schiff: (Marked)

0.4 miles East of St. Johns:

Parking Garage...Down at 6th and Main or so.

This is unmarked because I don't know the location but it shows the start of the tornado:

Unknown:

Also Unknown but it's 4 city blocks from the edge of the tornado:

youtube.com/watch?v=wQHNx0WjXYQ

Ok, I have mapped a lot of the videos in this thread and some I have found. These are shortly before, during, or shortly after the tornado stationary videos. I know I am probably missing many, and there's another that was filmed at the KSN studio parking lot that I can't find but I know exists. If you have found a new video, let me know and I'll add it to the map.

Thanks to those that posted them and cyclone77 for finding the location to several of these.

These videos are videos from youtube, they may have cussing in them.

The map is 2 parts, it basically divides the path in half. Part 2. The numbers came out weird after uploading, but they generally go from left to right on the map.

post-152-0-33047100-1330154678.jpg

5. 27th Minnesota. (Marked)

*UPDATED* March 4th 2012.....

S Minnesota Ave & E 24th St, right next to the High School.

:

6. Joplin High School: (Marked)

youtube.com/watch?v=zQQqX5ln4vs

7. 17th and Indiana: (Marked)

8. 20th Rhode Island: (Marked)

9. Charlie's Chicken area: (Marked)

10. Freightliner (Marked)

7th and Rangeline:

11. Wal-Mart 15th Rangeline: (Marked)

12. Apartments: (Marked)

youtube.com/watch?v=1GLN6DFWbLE

13. Fastrip video: (Marked)

14. Duquense: (Marked)

15. East Middle School: (Marked)

16 .Con-Way truck bay. (Marked)

*new* 3/27/2012...

Other Con-Way: (Marked)

17. 18-wheeler (Marked but uncertain of actual location)

JoMo,

Thanks again for all your hard work with follow ups keeping us all informed of all the progress that is going on in Joplin. I still look at all those videos in amazement and keep all the people in Joplin in my prayers. I believe that had to be the #1 weather event in 2011. I know there were many other tragic tornados, but that Joplin tornado was a beast! Take care..

AMS has put their recorded presentations up. This is the Joplin session:

http://ams.confex.com/ams/92Annual/webprogram/Session29800.html

A couple of inaccuracies in Tim Marshalls concrete presentation are....

The 'bowling alley' was actually the Salvation Army thrift store.

The High School has always had graduation (for at least the last 10-15 years) at the Leggett and Platt Athletic Center ( at MSSU college campus)

Overall, Tim Marshalls was the most interesting presentation, the others were kind of a let down since there were people filling in for others.

...Overall, Tim Marshalls was the most interesting presentation, the others were kind of a let down since there were people filling in for others.

Yeah his presentation was very interesting. His perspective/evaluation of the structural failures from an engineering standpoint was quite eye opening. A lot of structures failed under relatively low wind loads. The Franklin Tech building especially. I remember seeing some before photos of that building, and it appeared to be a very strong, well built building. Tim's survey revealed some interesting/startling weaknesses in the structure of that facility.

After Tim's presentation he answered a few questions from the audience. One question brought up the impact on how much debris loading had on structural integrity. Also, the extreme amount of debris swirling in the large tornado no doubt contributed to the accelerated failure of structures that may not have failed, or failed as quickly without the aid of added wind-blown debris. Such a large tornado moving over a densely populated location will no doubt lead to greater damage than would normally be expected relative to wind velocity, as the added debris will surely aid in damage/wind load on structures within the circulation. All of that could conceivably open a big can of worms on how much debris loading in an urban environment can impact EF-scale values in a positive direction, but in the end all that really matters to most is the damage the tornado does (EF scale damage).

Had the opportunity to sit in on a presentation tonight by the EM director from Joplin. Some notes from his speech.

7,500 residential homes damaged or destroyed

9,200 residents displaced

530 businesses destroyed

30 businesses will not be returning

4,500 employees affected

17,000 tetanus shots given out

The hospital saw an increase of 100 patients every 15 minutes yet the hospital (St Johns) evacuated totally in 90 minutes.

The hospital moved into a basketball arena and they were doing surgery within an hour of opening.

At one point, ambulances waiting to transport were 4 wide and 20 deep.

Freeman Hospital had 10 deep waiting for each of 4 operating rooms.

100% of primary streets were cleared 36hrs after the storm.

5000 emergency services personnel from 435 different agencies responded.

6 total passes were made looking for survivors.

Last alive was rescued on Tuesday.

The tornado removed 31 man hole covers which have never been found.

Three fire trucks destroyed.

Two fire stations destroyed.

3 million cubic yards of debris removed.

90-10 split of reimbursement.

Most sheltered at any point 650

2977 mobile housing units ordered.

569 families needed temp housing.

Currently 453 remain in temp housing.

118,197 volunteers registered for duty

720,834 hours of volunteer service logged.

54 percent of the city has been rebuilt or is being rebuilt at 9 months.

St Johns did NOT shift off its foundation. The upper three floors tilted 3".

Had the opportunity to sit in on a presentation tonight by the EM director from Joplin. Some notes from his speech.

530 businesses destroyed

4,500 employees affected

The hospital saw an increase of 100 patients every 15 minutes yet the hospital (St Johns) evacuated totally in 90 minutes.

The hospital moved into a basketball arena and they were doing surgery within an hour of opening.

Amazing stats. It's great that the person that was rescued on Tuesday was in fact rescued, but man that had to be hell up until the rescuing. The missing man hole covers is interesting as well.

Amazing stats. It's great that the person that was rescued on Tuesday was in fact rescued, but man that had to be hell up until the rescuing. The missing man hole covers is interesting as well.

Exactly what I thought. Those things are heavy and probably imbedded themselves into other larger pieces of debris. Very intresting facts.

Did he say manhole covers? I wonder if he was talking about the street ones or the water ones as well? The street ones are huge and heavy and in the road. The water ones are lighter and are just 'lids' that sit on top of the grass on the openings for the water shut-off valve in front of residences.

The water company had to go up and down every street in the area looking for missing covers that either disappeared or were destroyed by heavy equipment running over them, they did this before winter set in so the shut-off valves wouldn't freeze.

Did he say manhole covers? I wonder if he was talking about the street ones or the water ones as well? The street ones are huge and heavy and in the road. The water ones are lighter and are just 'lids' that sit on top of the grass on the openings for the water shut-off valve in front of residences.

The water company had to go up and down every street in the area looking for missing covers that either disappeared or were destroyed by heavy equipment running over them, they did this before winter set in so the shut-off valves wouldn't freeze.

I remember looking through Tim Marshall's pics on FB awhile back from Joplin. There was a picture of a missing man hole cover in the street. I thought that was amazing in itself, but if there were 30 more instances like that, that's really amazing.

I remember looking through Tim Marshall's pics on FB awhile back from Joplin. There was a picture of a missing man hole cover in the street. I thought that was amazing in itself, but if there were 30 more instances like that, that's really amazing.

Yeah, it was reported that there were missing manhole covers and there was one that I saw, but I had no idea there were so many others missing. Those things are hard to get up as it is since they usually have the road sealer around them and sit even with or even below the road surface itself. I guess this was probably a pressure thing from underground as the tornado went over?

530 businesses destroyed

4,500 employees affected

Wow.

Actually I figured it out. Probably the low pressure inside the tornado that forced those off. Wind Speed alone can't do it since the surface is parallel. So manhole covers make a crude barometer.

Wow.

Actually I figured it out. Probably the low pressure inside the tornado that forced those off. Wind Speed alone can't do it since the surface is parallel. So manhole covers make a crude barometer.

And what would be the reading on that barometer?

We could probably take into account the mass m of the manhole cover, the area of its surface facing the outside A, the earth's gravity g, and the air pressure P0 underneath the manhole cover before it is lifted. That way we can find the difference in pressure from outside the sewer to inside the sewer DP, that is just below the absolute lowest possible, and the pressure outside P.

So, perhaps it would be something like this:

DP = m . g / A.

P < P0 - DP.

Yea, he def said "man hole cover". Not sure if there is a different cover that means that there though. Ill trust you on that one.

The location of this video (Over by JHS has been posted)

It was taken at 24th and Minnesota, it's on the same street as the Home Security video posted above but 3 blocks farther north. The NWS survey has the center crossing very close to this house.

Lot of cussing:

The location of this video (Over by JHS has been posted)

It was taken at 24th and Minnesota, it's on the same street as the Home Security video posted above but 3 blocks farther north. The NWS survey has the center crossing very close to this house.

Lot of cussing:

Wonder how close this was to the EF-5 damage that occurred near the high school.