• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

Hope we hear from JoMo in the days to come. Scanned the pages since page 24 to play "catch up" since on Midnight shifts this week aside from watching TWC after it happened. Didn't see this page posted but did see excerpt from it that ChicagoWx posted. Here is NWS Springfield write up with maps and radar images. Will wait a day or two since he is obviously busy, but know the WCM there and will see if they have any other cross sections/radar data that shows more detail aside from what has already been posted here. Link is below. Everybody stay safe this week. Love the job up here but wish I was down there. BTW Beau, as already stated....great post about JoMo....ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

http://www.crh.noaa....011may22_survey

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I gather this is the neighborhood shot (first you come to on the right).....didn't miss it by much.... (caution takes a long time to load)

http://ngs.woc.noaa....00e4105000n.jpg

I'm not sure when this picture was taken if it was yesterday or whenever it was, but one telling thing at the intersections with stoplights... all the traffic lined up on ALL sides which tells me this...

Still no Power... That I believe is the issue now with no contact from JoMo, not the damage...

Have been a severe thunderstorm enthusiast for over 30 yrs. and this season so far has been the most active and deadly for tornadoes in that time.

With technology and science racing along in that time, it has enabled me to get near these events with live streaming cams from chasers, news stations and internet forums such as this.

Was reading this thread live the day of the Joplin tornado. Most people in this thread were reporting whatever was going on near there backyard.

Then JoMo posted this while eveyone was focused elsewhere.

Giant clusterf*k of storms in SE KS with more developing around that cell. Constant rolling thunder. Not seeing all that strong of a couplet. Did witness some mammatus despite the low clouds.

A few minutes later he posted this.

No one really replied as focus was elsewhere.

nd there go the sirens, rotation just NW of here.

This post is where it all changed.

Pitch black out, couplet nearly on me... Joplin, MO

That was the last JoMo was heard of for a few days.

Turns out to be one of the most significant single tornado event ever formed right around him.

Now 142 confirmed deaths and 100 still missing.

He witnessed this first hand, WOW!

stay safe buddy

Is that a debris ball on the west side of Joplin??

---

AT 534 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR

GALENA...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH. THIS STORM IS MOVING INTO THE CITY

OF JOPLIN.

This looks bad

AT 538 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR

JOPLIN...OR 6 MILES NORTHEAST OF GALENA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

541 PM CDT SUN MAY 22 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0541 PM TORNADO JOPLIN 37.08N 94.51W

05/22/2011 JASPER MO PUBLIC

NUMEROUS REPORTS OF TORNADO ON THE GROUND WEST OF JOPIN

AND POWER FLASHES

A few posters immediately turned their attention towards Joplin now and many more later.

Good to see JoMo survived but his city will never be the same.

• 3 months later...

Was piddling around on youtube and found this video from May 22 in northwest Indiana (taken on I-65). Although there's no tornado in this video, there was a brief one not too far away. Pretty dramatic video considering winds were probably only 50-60 mph or so.

WARNING: salty language

Archived