• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
What's the most unstable sounding you've ever seen?

Hoosier

I thought of two days immediately when I saw this with one being the Roanoke day that Hoosier mentioned and the other being 8/4/08 from DVN and ILX roab soundings with the 2nd one from ILX just huge....the most I've ever seen, amazing.

My first day of work at DVN, I remember I came back in to assist with the evening launch and comms. I remember wondering what I got myself into when the temps around 00z were close to 85/80.

Funny though that 6/18/09 immediately popped into my head when I saw the question, despite this sounding having the higher CAPE values.

My first day of work at DVN, I remember I came back in to assist with the evening launch and comms. I remember wondering what I got myself into when the temps around 00z were close to 85/80.

Funny though that 6/18/09 immediately popped into my head when I saw the question, despite this sounding having the higher CAPE values.

still my biggest cap bust to date. what a let down day.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a web page about this, and I still have the files on the internet.

7150 J/kg or more at GREEN BAY WISCONSIN, July 31, 1999 (actually the evening of July 30 1999) I think the Plymouth sounding system uses a mixed layer, so I think the actual CAPE is over 7200 J/kg

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/SevereStorms/high_CAPE/july_31_1999_00z_GRB_sounding.gif

With insane parameters like that is just out of this world. I mean 9000-10000J/Kg, 1000m2/s2, LCL's 200m, 80-90kts, temperatures mid 80s, dews in the low to mid 70s, EHI's of 15, LI's of -12, followed by a powerful cold front or dryline, and addtional other insane parameters. I am afraid that some of our states would not be existing anymore. There would be multiple PDS tornado watches with all probabilities >95%. They would state numerous violent tornadoes, numerous wind gusts in excess of 180 mph, and numerous hail stones to the size of bowling balls/basketballs. You may also have flooding torential rains of one feet/hour. I would thin k something would be out of this world scary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Like a 27c dew point, muggy would be an understatement.

I can tell you all about it...we specialize in 80 degree dews in the LAF. :)

Plainfield is a good reminder that you still need to keep an eye out on days that may not look like much tornadic wise at first glance.

probably our inflatable mattress in the tent tomorrow night.  We need a get together so you all can show my dumbness how to read a sounding.

so calm, quiet and cool out there finishing packing the forgotten stuff.   Does not seem and feel like memorial day weekend at all for some reason.  I guess the last 3 yrs or so have skewed towards the wet fruit of the looms that this seems strange.

As far as setups go I'd say Alabama on April 27th was the worst I've ever seen. 80-100 LLJ, CAPE up to 3000 j/kg and Helicity levels of 500-600 may never be seen again in our lifetimes. Let alone we saw 10 monster tornadoes including one that ran through the most populated parts of Alabama and one that IMO was the worst of all time in Phil Campbell 

With insane parameters like that is just out of this world. I mean 9000-10000J/Kg, 1000m2/s2, LCL's 200m, 80-90kts, temperatures mid 80s, dews in the low to mid 70s, EHI's of 15, LI's of -12, followed by a powerful cold front or dryline, and addtional other insane parameters. I am afraid that some of our states would not be existing anymore. There would be multiple PDS tornado watches with all probabilities >95%. They would state numerous violent tornadoes, numerous wind gusts in excess of 180 mph, and numerous hail stones to the size of bowling balls/basketballs. You may also have flooding torential rains of one feet/hour. I would thin k something would be out of this world scary.

That's "The Day After Tomorrow" stuff there..

Since we're bumping already...I know I've posted this in some other place, but 6/18/09:

DVN6-18.gif

What a bust. Probably for the best, in the end.

I saw this mentioned earlier but I'm surprised it wasn't posted, unless I missed it. Closest proximity sounding to Jarrell on 5/27/97 was Temple:

CK2fKZF.gif

And although it isn't quite as massively unstable as some of the others, 6/8/53 southeast of Flint:

YH57sP0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As far as setups go I'd say Alabama on April 27th was the worst I've ever seen. 80-100 LLJ, CAPE up to 3000 j/kg and Helicity levels of 500-600 may never be seen again in our lifetimes. Let alone we saw 10 monster tornadoes including one that ran through the most populated parts of Alabama and one that IMO was the worst of all time in Phil Campbell 

The LLJ that day wasn't 80-100 kts, it was around 60-80 kts, the H5 jet was around 110 kts in the max though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...