• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.

April 2011 tornado information

Updated, April 29, 2011, 4:50 p.m. EDT

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/april_2011_tornado_information.html

April 27-28, 2011, tornado outbreak statistics

NOAA's preliminary estimate is that there were 211 tornadoes on April 27-28, 2011.

* During the multi-day period of April 26-28, The National Weather Service (NWS) estimates there were a total of 288 tornadoes.

* NWS issued outlooks five days in advance, watches hours in advance, and tornado warnings with an average lead time of 24 minutes. NWS issued warnings for more than 90 percent of these tornadoes.

* The largest previous number of tornadoes on record in one event occurred from April 3-4, 1974, with 148 tornadoes.

Current media reports indicate the death toll is 318 people, and rising. This makes the event the third deadliest tornado outbreak on record.

* The April 27-28, 2011, tornado outbreak is the deadliest since the March 21, 1932, tornado outbreak that had 332 fatalities.

* Based on combined NOAA, historical research records and current fatality estimates, the April 27-28, 2011, tornado outbreak ranks 6th in single day total fatalities in the United States history. The historic research records extend back to 1680.

Wow.

http://www.noaanews....nformation.html

NOAA's preliminary estimate is that there were 211 tornadoes on April 27-28, 2011.

* During the multi-day period of April 26-28, The National Weather Service (NWS) estimates there were a total of 288 tornadoes.

* NWS issued outlooks five days in advance, watches hours in advance, and tornado warnings with an average lead time of 24 minutes. NWS issued warnings for more than 90 percent of these tornadoes.

* The largest previous number of tornadoes on record in one event occurred from April 3-4, 1974, with 148 tornadoes.

Current media reports indicate the death toll is 318 people, and rising. This makes the event the third deadliest tornado outbreak on record.

* The April 27-28, 2011, tornado outbreak is the deadliest since the March 21, 1932, tornado outbreak that had 332 fatalities.

* Based on combined NOAA, historical research records and current fatality estimates, the April 27-28, 2011, tornado outbreak ranks 6th in single day total fatalities in the United States history. The historic research records extend back to 1680.

Just unbelievable and mind-numbing. :(

Just drove up to Chattanooga. Unbelievable tree damage just north of cartersville, swath of trees snapped off at the base. 45 minute traffic jam south of ringgold turned out to be from sightseers as it cleared up mysteriously just past the town. Not much destruction visible from the highway though

Wanted to ask because I haven't seen him lately but has anyone heard from mr bob? He lives in the chattanooga area IIRC and it worries me I don't recall seeing him the last few days.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the area is still without power. While only the southeast corner of Hamilton County, TN was hit with a tornado, most of the county experienced a lot of straight line winds and at one point 70% of the county didn't have power. As a side note, the pictures and aerial stuff of this just doesn't do it justice. I worked 14 hours of search and rescue in Ringgold, GA overnight Wednesday/Thursday. It was awful, I've never seen anything like that in my life, and I will never forget it. I spent several hours during the day Thursday in the Cherokee valley area combing through debris and talking to people to see if they knew anyone missing. Heartbreaking for sure.

Wow.

http://www.noaanews....nformation.html

Hate to quote the source...but remember what Henry Margusity said at accuweather about a week ago....300 tornadoes....and we laughed....what's even worse than reality....Henry at ACCUWX foretold it....Hmmm....:unsure:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the area is still without power. While only the southeast corner of Hamilton County, TN was hit with a tornado, most of the county experienced a lot of straight line winds and at one point 70% of the county didn't have power. As a side note, the pictures and aerial stuff of this just doesn't do it justice. I worked 14 hours of search and rescue in Ringgold, GA overnight Wednesday/Thursday. It was awful, I've never seen anything like that in my life, and I will never forget it. I spent several hours during the day Thursday in the Cherokee valley area combing through debris and talking to people to see if they knew anyone missing. Heartbreaking for sure.

Thanks for the update with the power situation :) I'm still waiting to hear from friends that live in SE Hamilton Co :(

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/120861339.html

FFC confirming today that I had an EF1 in a sneezing distance of my house and an EF2 that hit south of LaGrange.

Mercifully only 6 minor injuries.

From the NWS...summary of the EF2 that hit southeast of LaGrange.

Troup County (southeast of LaGrange)

A National Weather Service survey team determined that an EF2 tornado with winds of 120 MPH developed 5 miles south of LaGrange around 1120 PM EDT Wednesday night. The tornado tracked for 7 miles before lifting around 6 miles east southeast of LaGrange at 1130 PM EDT. The path length was 7 miles and the width was up to one quarter mile. Around 15 homes were destroyed and around 50 homes sustained heavy to minor damage along its path. Thousands of trees were snapped and uprooted with many powerlines down. The most significant damage occurred near Highway 219 and Murphy Road about 2 miles south of the city limits of LaGrange. About 12 homes were destroyed in this area. One home was picked up and thrown 50 feet and its sunroom was thrown 300 yards. A well built log cabin on a hill top was blown off its foundation in the oppostie direction of the tornado's movement and destroyed. There were at least 5 injuries in this area as well.

Just wow... the sheer number of violent tornadoes this outbreak astounds me, and I still can't believe how bad it was here. This just in from BMX...

TORNADO 5...ARGO/SHOAL CREEK/OHATCHEE/FORNEY TORNADO (JEFFERSON/ST.

CLAIR/CALHOUN/ETOWAH/CHEROKEE COUNTIES)

PRELIMINARY DATA...

EVENT DATE: APRIL 27, 2011

EVENT TYPE: LIKELY GREATER THAN EF-3 (FURTHER EVALUATION UNDERWAY)

ESTIMATED PEAK WINDS (MPH): POTENTIALLY UP TO 180

INJURIES/FATALITIES: NUMEROUS FATALITIES AND INJURIES.

EVENT START LOCATION AND TIME: 33.6792/-86.5699 AT 623 PM

EVENT END LOCATION AND TIME: 34.0661/-85.420 AT 747 PM (AT GEORGIA

STATE LINE)

DAMAGE PATH LENGTH (IN MILES): 72 MILES

WIDTH: UP TO 1.25 MILES

NOTE: CONTINUED INTO GEORGIA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS SURVEYED THE DAMAGE PATH

FROM EASTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY NORTHEAST TO CHEROKEE COUNTY. IT HAS

BEEN DETERMINED THAT THE DAMAGE WAS CONSISTENT WITH A VIOLENT

TORNADO. THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR ARGO...BETWEEN DEERFOOT

PARKWAY AND ADVENT ROAD...JUST NORTH OF INTERSTATE 59. THE TORNADO

THEN MOVED EAST ACROSS THE INTERSTATE INTO ST. CLAIR COUNTY. THE

TORNADO CAUSED EF-0 TO EF-1 DAMAGE AS IT TRACKED NEAR MARGARET AND

NORTH OF ODENVILLE. JUST NORTHEAST OF ODENVILLE...THE TORNADO

STRENGTHENED AND WIDENED CONSIDERABLY. THE TORNADO THEN MOVED

EAST-NORTHEAST ALONG COUNTY ROAD 22...THROUGH SHOAL CREEK. DAMAGE

ALL ALONG CR-22 WAS EXTENSIVE. SEVERAL HOMES HAD ALMOST ALL WALLS

BLOWN OUT...AND ONE ROUGHLY 40 YEAR OLD HOME WAS COMPLETELY LEVELED.

THE PATH CONTINUED EAST-NORTHEAST ACROSS NEELY HENRY LAKE INTO

CALHOUN COUNTY. THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF DAMAGE WAS DONE ON THE

EASTERN SHORES OF THE LAKE...JUST NORTH OF OHATCHEE. IN THIS AREA

NUMEROUS HOMES AND MOBILE HOMES WERE COMPLETELY LEVELED...INDICATIVE

OF A VIOLENT TORNADO. AT LEAST ONE WELL BUILT HOME WAS NEARLY SWEPT

CLEAN OF EVERYTHING ABOVE ITS BASEMENT...SAVE FOR A FEW ITEMS OF

FURNITURE. WINDS HERE WERE LIKELY MORE THAN 150 MPH...PERHAPS AS

HIGH AS 180 MPH. THE DAMAGE PATH AT THIS POINT REACHED ITS WIDEST...

AROUND 1.25 MILES. THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE

ON AN EAST-NORTHEAST PATH ACROSS NORTHERN CALHOUN COUNTY...JUST

SOUTH OF THE ETOWAH COUNTY LINE. ALL HOMES IN ITS PATH RECEIVED

SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE AND MANY WERE COMPLETELY DESTROYED. A SMALL

CHURCH ON ROCKY HOLLOW ROAD NEAR THE WEBSTER CHAPEL COMMUNITY WAS

COMPLETELY LEVELED. THE TORNADO BRIEFLY WENT THROUGH SOUTHEAST

ETOWAH COUNTY SOUTHEAST OF REAVES...CLIPPED A SMALL PORTION OF

CALHOUN COUNTY ONE LAST TIME...THEN MOVED INTO CHEROKEE COUNTY.

THERE IT DAMAGED NUMEROUS MORE HOMES AND MOBILE HOMES AS IT MOVED

EAST-NORTHEASTWARD. THE TORNADO APPEARED TO WEAKEN BRIEFLY AS IT

MOVED THROUGH FROG MOUNTAIN...BUT THEN IT WIDENED AND STRENGTHENED

ONCE AGAIN BEFORE IT REACHED COUNTY ROAD 45 NORTH OF ROCK RUN. ON

COUNTY ROAD 29 SOUTH OF FORNEY...AN APPARENTLY WELL BUILT FRAME HOME

WAS COMPLETELY LEVELED TO THE GROUND BY WINDS THAT MAY HAVE EXCEEDED

150 MPH. THE TORNADO THEN MOVED INTO GEORGIA AT COUNTY ROAD 28.

ALONG THE PATH...HUNDREDS OF STRUCTURES WERE DAMAGED AND

DESTROYED...AND MANY THOUSANDS OF TREES WERE UPROOTED...SNAPPED...

AND REDUCED TO SPIKED STUMP

NOTE: THERE WAS NO DAMAGE OBSERVED ON DEERFOOT PARKWAY...JUST WEST

OF THE STARTING COORDINATES ABOVE. THEREFORE...THERE APPEARS TO

BE A SMALL BREAK IN THE DAMAGE BETWEEN THE TUSCALOOSA-BIRMINGHAM

TORNADO AND THIS ONE...AS THE STORM WENT ACROSS THE PINSON AND

CHALKVILLE AREAS. THIS BREAK IN THE DAMAGE MAY NEED FURTHER

INVESTIGATION...TO MAKE SURE THAT IT INDEED DID OCCUR.

That is mindboggling that this could happen in this day an age.

See its not to me, in fact we are lucky we go as long as we do inbetween these type of events. I think because EF4-5 are so rare and for most people truely hard to imagine that when they do happen and hit population centers everyone is shocked. Fact is there are few places that are going to protect you if you are directly impacted by a tornado like this, combine that with somewhere like SE where only a few had basements and well lots of folks are going to die. We can and should learn from this event but the sad fact is 5-10-15 yrs from now if another storm like this hits the SE and a long track monster EF4-5 plows through several major population centers we are all gonna be wondering how hundreds can die from a tornado in this day in age.

The surface and upper level dynamics where lifting to the north into the ohio valley during the day so the best dynamics went with it. Alabama just happened to be in the best spot for all the ingredients to come together. By the time the system moved into GA the dynamics that created all the fireworks in AL where much further north than they were when Alabama was at its worst.

It's all about timing....

As I'm someone in Knoxville, I can tell you a lot of that moisture and instability went up into our area and turned itself into a lot of rain (nearly 4" that night at my house) and hail (three rounds, some as big as 1.5" and elsewhere in town recorded over 2" hail).

I'll gladly trade you hail damage for not getting much out of it. I have to get someone around here on Friday to look at my roof.

Also, there has been debris from AL and GA landing around east TN. I have a recipe in my yard from who knows where.

Also this on BMX survey page:

THIS TORNADO WAS PRODUCED BY A SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORM THAT BEGAN IN NEWTON COUNTY MISSISSIPPI AT 254 PM CDT...FINALLY DISSIPATING IN MACON COUNTYNORTH CAROLINA AT APPROXIMATELY 1018 PM CDT. SO...THIS SUPERCELL EXISTED FOR ABOUT 7 HOURS AND 24 MINUTES...TRAVELING APPROXIMATELY 380 MILES PRODUCING SEVERAL STRONG TO VIOLENT TORNADOES ALONG THE WAY.

380 Miles!!!!!!!! Ridiculous.

It really is horrifying. Who would think in this day and age, with all the technology in place that we would all be COMPLETELY at the mercy of Mother Nature. Many of these people that died did everything right and they still died. I have no one I know that died or was injured in these storms but somehow the tragedy of it all is consuming. I am not a particularly religious person, but I am praying for all those affected. Hope God is listening...

Alive and well here in southeastern Hamilton county....About 3 miles maybe as the crow flies from the path of the storm. I just got my power back on in the last hour after it cut out at 5ish on Wednesday....Some of y'all may know that I work for TVA for almost 10 years...never ever seen anything like it. Line after line after line going down, generating units coming off line...It was absolutely crazy...Many people spent 6 hours in the basement of the building since Morristown had the county under a tor warning for many consecutive hours that evening as well as twice during the day...Worst part for me was watching that monster on radar with my teenage kids home with no power...While I have a virtual storm cellar for a basement it was perhaps the most stress inducing moment of my life...divorce included...you just dont see this type of tornado in our neck of the woods....And fortunately I had gone over what to do and where to go as this one seemed different before it began.

Almost everyone knows someone who was injured or killed...without home or severely damaged home....never would believe something like this could happen here...

Alive and well here in southeastern Hamilton county....About 3 miles maybe as the crow flies from the path of the storm. I just got my power back on in the last hour after it cut out at 5ish on Wednesday....Some of y'all may know that I work for TVA for almost 10 years...never ever seen anything like it. Line after line after line going down, generating units coming off line...It was absolutely crazy...Many people spent 6 hours in the basement of the building since Morristown had the county under a tor warning for many consecutive hours that evening as well as twice during the day...Worst part for me was watching that monster on radar with my teenage kids home with no power...While I have a virtual storm cellar for a basement it was perhaps the most stress inducing moment of my life...divorce included...you just dont see this type of tornado in our neck of the woods....And fortunately I had gone over what to do and where to go as this one seemed different before it began.

Almost everyone knows someone who was injured or killed...without home or severely damaged home....never would believe something like this could happen here...

Bob,

So glad to hear you are ok! It was such a horrifying experience for so many. I likened the storms to a rake and was just hoping we would all be between the "teeth" of the rake. Thanks for checking in to let everyone know you are fine.

I spoke to my Dad in Moody, AL, and he said his area is still without landline phone and power. He's fortunate because he has a generator but many of his neighbors do not. My sister in Trussville was very lucky as the storm lifted while traveling through the area. This picture is of the super cell going through Trussville, the same that hi Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. I am pretty sure the mountains in the area temporarily disrupted the flow of the tornado.

post-589-0-33094000-1304179245.jpg

Glad to hear you and your family are ok :thumbsup::hug:

My friends that live close to you(within a mile of the storm) just sent me a message that they are ok too. :hug:

MHX NWS has confirmed 2 tornados from Thursday so I imagine these will go into the final tally for the "outbreak"....luckily both were weak and did little in the way of damage....

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC

1030 PM EDT FRI APR 29 2011

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR ROSE HILL IN DUPLIN COUNTY NORTH

CAROLINA...

LOCATION...ROSE HILL IN DUPLIN COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA

DATE...04/28/11

ESTIMATED TIME...300 PM EST

MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF1

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...95 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...1.5 MILES

BEGINNING LAT/LON...34.828N/-78.146W