• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Historic Tornado Outbreak April 27, 2011

Yeah, I just found the warning. I think it was on the CBS morning show (that's on at like 3-4 AM) that I saw the report and the reporter said "and they had no warning"

As did the latest CNN interview I saw. Leading them into the answer by asking if they heard, "any alarms before the tornado hit." I appreciate the hell on Earth they just went through, but Ringgold, GA was struck hours into the event. I don't understand how this could take people by surprise, to the point that they were outside when the tornado hit and they only ran inside when they saw a neighbor's roof come off.

As did the latest CNN interview I saw. Leading them into the answer by asking if they heard, "any alarms before the tornado hit." I appreciate the hell on Earth they just went through, but Ringgold, GA was struck hours into the event. I don't understand how this could take people by surprise, to the point that they were outside when the tornado hit and they only ran inside when they saw a neighbor's roof come off.

well I can understand why it would be a surprise. Many people just were not paying attention to the weather..at all..despite the warnings and everything. That is just the way it is with people and severe weather.

I would like to see a very thorough study done of the fatalties and serious injuries in this outbreak, to find out just what the individual circumstances were that led to each situation turning out the way it did. I think much could be learned from that.

well I can understand why it would be a surprise. Many people just were not paying attention to the weather..at all..despite the warnings and everything. That is just the way it is with people and severe weather.

I would like to see a very thorough study done of the fatalties and serious injuries in this outbreak, to find out just what the individual circumstances were that led to each situation turning out the way it did. I think much could be learned from that.

I'm sure there will probably be an assessment done since this was such a loss of life.

I believe you mentioned the tornado in Andover earlier and the people that fled the Mobile Home Park before the tornado hit as an example.

People also fled during the Picher, OK tornado a few years ago. Approximately 75-125 cars left Picher between the time the sirens sounded and 10 minutes later when impact happened.

The full assessment is here including individual actions on what people did:

http://www.weather.gov/os/assessments/pdfs/mothers_day09.pdf

I'm sure there will probably be an assessment done since this was such a loss of life.

I believe you mentioned the tornado in Andover earlier and the people that fled the Mobile Home Park before the tornado hit as an example.

People also fled during the Picher, OK tornado a few years ago. Approximately 75-125 cars left Picher between the time the sirens sounded and 10 minutes later when impact happened.

The full assessment is here including individual actions on what people did:

http://www.weather.g...thers_day09.pdf

well not to go back to the other topic...but we really do need to know just how many people did die 'hunkering down' etc. We need to know the circumstances of each fatality to see what went wrong-was it a bad choice, lack of information, complacency, just plain bad luck, etc-there has to be a very detailed and thorough assessment so things can be learned from this tragedy and corrections or modifications, if applicable, can be implemented.

We really do need to know why so many died- if it was just very strong tornadoes and populated areas and that was it/nothing else could be done, or if there is more to it than that.

It's people like you, who have ZERO common sense, and state that liberty is more important than safety, that make these sorts of laws necessary.

Why don't we go ahead and give you the option to not have a seat belt in your car, use lead gas again, liven in a house with NO building codes because you don't want someone to tell you how to live and let you carry a firearm with no safetyThen, when you get in a car wreck and fly through your window, get lead poisoning, your house collapses on you, or your kid kills himself with your gun, you can say your liberty killed you, and that you died for it.

As for me, I would just call you stupid.

well said!

60% still means you're more likely to survive than not, sheltering in place. While getting in the car still doesn't guarantee you escape the tornado and brings into the equation traffic accidents, etc.

There is too much room for error if you advocate people taking their lives into their own hands on the road.

I agree, The only place of relative safety is being underground. When you're dealing with EF4+. In the deep south many people don't have basements and so they have to take their chances in their home as far away from the outside walls as possible. The decision to try and drive away from a tornado is a very personal one. Several people died in Picher, OK when they drove out of town trying to get away from the tornado.

I agree, The only place of relative safety is being underground. When you're dealing with EF4+. In the deep south many people don't have basements and so they have to take their chances in their home as far away from the outside walls as possible. The decision to try and drive away from a tornado is a very personal one. Several people died in Picher, OK when they drove out of town trying to get away from the tornado.

I'd still rather race it in a house without a basement.

Besides, the whole public is told to "stay home and hide" so you're not likely to hit a lot of traffic and probably make a quick escape.

Wow Godspeed to any and all who were affected by this great feat of God. Absoloutly horrific, words cannot express the shear devastation. Amazing the death toll isn't higher. This is making 1974 pale in comparison.

I dont know about that but this will defenitely be in the top 10 deadliest tornado outbreaks of all time. Fatalities and injuries are probably close to the same as in the 1974 Superoutbreak. There will probably more tornadoes confirmed but I dont believe there will be as many violent tornadoes confirmed from this outbreak as in 1974. Hard to compare both because they were beyond devastating.

Aerials look like what the Parkersburg tornado did in 2008. It is really hard to tell the difference because this tornado was rated high-end EF4 but the Parkersburg tornado was rated EF5. I also believe the Parkesburg/New Hartford tornado did more ground scouring, tree debarking, and sweeping homes even more clean from their foundations than this tornado.

Limestone/Madison Co. tornado (W HSV area) rated EF-4 with upgrade to EF-5 possible: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=HUN&issuedby=HUN&product=PNS&format=CI&version=2&glossary=0

Video of the wedge approaching I-65 near Athens/Tanner:

. IN THE COMMUNITY OF TANNER...THE INTENSITY

WAS MAXIMIZED WITH A LARGE SWATH OF EF-4 DAMAGE AND A NARROW

CORRIDOR OF HIGH END EF-4 TO NEAR EF-5 DAMAGE.

ANOTHER SURVEY TEAM WILL BE ON THE GROUND IN MADISON

TO FURTHER ASSESS THE DAMAGE ON FRIDAY.

. IN THE COMMUNITY OF TANNER...THE INTENSITY

WAS MAXIMIZED WITH A LARGE SWATH OF EF-4 DAMAGE AND A NARROW

CORRIDOR OF HIGH END EF-4 TO NEAR EF-5 DAMAGE.

ANOTHER SURVEY TEAM WILL BE ON THE GROUND IN MADISON

TO FURTHER ASSESS THE DAMAGE ON FRIDAY.

That poor town can't ever catch a break. A F5 and F4 the same day, now a probable EF5 takes em out, again.

Is the wiki entry for this outbreak accurate? Its hard to get a count on all the storms/tornados with no central repository for the surveys.

There is a thread here dedicated to the surveys ....

I don't know about the Wiki page nor who is handling it.

Many of the surveys are preliminary