• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Tornado Outbreak April 27, 2011

It is. I guess I should remember how much CNN sucks anyways--maybe not the best example to use.

I agree it's seriously lame of any American news outlet to not make front-and-center a natural disaster that involves important regional population centers (a la Tuscaloosa) getting devastated.

P.S. MSNBC-- which I know a lot of people here hate-- makes the story the absolute top.

Back on the topic (and sorry I dragged it off a little)... What is the estimated EF rating for the Tuscaloosa event? I am sure it's discussed above, and sorry for asking y'all to rehash-- but it's a big thread. Does it look like an EF4?

I am no tornado expert and I have yet to have any experience doing surveys, but the damage has to be representative of at least EF4 based on pics, possibly EF5. We will see.

Totally stripped trees with no branches, destroyed buildings of decent size, rubble everywhere, etc.

Deaths were going to happen with this event no matter what, this wasn't your typical tornado outbreak. I've been chasing for nearly ten years and looking at the speed and coverage of these supercells, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with chasing in that area yesterday.

Looking at all the technical data on radar is one thing and its easy to say why didn't these people just leave town? I don't know how many people have actually seen violent tornadoes in their life on here..But they are unpredictable in the field, radar might show one thing. But when your actually face to face with one it changes within seconds.

For example, the tornado in my avatar is one I caught back in August 24th 2006 in MN. It was an EF-3 multi-vortex that grew to 3/4 of a mile wide within 5 minutes or if not less.

Tornado deaths are unfortunate, but its mother nature and its going to happen. You just have to respect that.

Yes you are very correct about these monster tornadoes. Last year I was trying to get home when an EF-4 was barreling around me at midnight and it was the most wild thing ever. Even though the storm consistently moved to the ENE the tornado itself traveled like a curveball and almost took me out if I wouldn't have seen the trees around me change direction wind wise. Tornadoes like these are almost indescribeable in person

I am no tornado expert and I have yet to have any experience doing surveys, but the damage has to be representative of at least EF4 based on pics, possibly EF5. We will see.

Totally stripped trees with no branches, destroyed buildings of decent size, rubble everywhere, etc.

Agreed. I'm no expert, either-- I'm a severe part-timer, at best-- but a casual glance suggests EF4-- for the reasons you cited.

I'd say this looks like a EF5. I've seen tornado damage from an EF4 twice and I don't believe it was quite as severe as what this was. Still there basically is little difference between the two

Back on the topic (and sorry I dragged it off a little)... What is the estimated EF rating for the Tuscaloosa event? I am sure it's discussed above, and sorry for asking y'all to rehash-- but it's a big thread. Does it look like an EF4?

It seems likely, if not probable that it will be ranked as an EF4 or EF5... there was a person who showed a side by side comparison of the damage to the Infamous Moore, OK 1999 tornado, which was eerily similar in apocalyptic landscape to the images that are available of Tuscaloosa currently.

Well... Even with the Moore tornado, if I'm not mistaken, there were only a few spot instances of EF5 damage (as is the case with any EF5 event; no tornado produces big, wide swaths of EF5 damage). Therefore, most of the imagery showing wide areas of devastation was actually showing EF3-4 damage. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

For me, a good rule-of-thumb difference between EF4 and EF5 is that with standard wood-frame homes, EF4 leaves piles of rubble, whereas EF5 actually leaves the site swept clean. Like, it won't even be clear what was at that location before the event occurred. So, a casual glance of the Tuscaloosa images I've seen says EF4 to me.

But, again, I am no expert and don't pretend to be. There are people in this thread who actually do these surveys, and I'm sure they'll shed much brighter light on this topic.

Great to see this. University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa was prepared. Shows how prep can really make a difference. Read from the bottom up. http://www.ua.edu/weather/

I like this statement:

If a tornado warning is issued for the University area, students, faculty and staff will be notified using the methods listed below. Please note: Technology allows the weather service to be more accurate in identifying geographic areas to be included in a tornado warning. If you receive notification of a tornado warning through any of these methods, move to safety immediately.

I think its aimed at the fact we always want more information today. Is it reallllllly headed for me, or is it 5 miles away?

I like this statement:

I think its aimed at the fact we always want more information today. Is it reallllllly headed for me, or is it 5 miles away?

That is great information to have. That type of stuff saves lives--and being prepared like that is something great to see. I loved how they posted continuous updates through the day as things were ongoing.

This event, as horrific as it is, I hope can be used as a study of the dissemation of weather information in the "always on" media age. Not everyone was killed as they tried to shelter. Weather people didn't get the information, or didn't follow it, will be figured out later. However, with this system being advertised for 3+ days, and with the recent weather, its hard to imagine people not being 'on edge'.

And personally, I hope the news outlets find out as day breaks they have doube or triple counted some of the fatalities. I hope.

Birmingham, AL's disco this morning. I could not imagine having to write it.

WOW...WHAT A DAY. MANY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THOSE IMPACTED BY WEDNESDAYS HISTORIC TORNADIC OUTBREAK ACROSS THE STATE. TRYING TO WRITE A DISCUSSION AFTER SUCH AN ACTIVE DAY IS QUITE DIFFICULT. HOWEVER THE WEATHER NEVER ENDS AND WE MUST CONTINUE. THE NEXT FEW DAYS WILL BE CLEAR...SO THE CLEAN-UP PROCESS CAN BEGIN ACROSS THE STATE. WE ARE GOING TO GO FROM WELL ABOVE NORMALTEMPERATURES OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS TO ACTUALLY BELOW NORMALTEMPERATURES FOR TODAY AS THE COLD FRONT CONTINUES TO PUSH EAST OFTHE AREA. THERE WILL BE SOME MODERATION IN TEMPERATURES THROUGHSATURDAY.THE NEXT WEATHER WILL BEGIN TO MOVE IN ON SUNDAY AS THE NEXT COLDFRONT APPROACHES FROM THE NORTH. MODELS ARE VERY FAR APART INREGARDS TO THIS TIME-FRAME SO THERE IS QUITE A BIT OF UNCERTAINTYTO SAY THE LEAST. THE EURO BLAST THE FRONT THROUGH THE AREA BYMONDAY...WHILE THE GFS HOLDS THE FRONT UP AND BRINGS US SEVERALBANDS OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH TUESDAY. LOOKING BACKAT PREVIOUS DAYS ABOUT THE ONLY CONSISTENCY BETWEEN MODELS IS THEFACT THAT THEY CONTINUE TO DISAGREE. HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET SOMECONSISTENCY IN HERE WITHIN THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ONE THING TONOTE...IF THE GFS PANS OUT WE COULD SEE A ROUND OR TWO OF STRONGTO MAYBE EVEN SEVERE STORMS...BUT THE INCONSISTENCIES IN THEMODELS ARE JUST TOO LARGE TO INCLUDE AT THIS TIME.

Another debris ball...this time near Warm Springs, GA.

Our photographer got some video of that storm and the damage it left behind... I'll post it on here when I finally get a chance to upload it.... He said the damage goes on for miles and miles and numerous oak trees down... Very sombering sight to see... Just incredible damage not only there, but near Hamilton, GA too....

This is my viewing area btw and I covered these storms last night and the storm cells that went threw were just amazing... If I find out more, or get more video I'll post some...

The huge dry slot is keeping Ohio out of this one...but I can't remember seeing winds like this since the Spring/Summer of 2003 during the day after day durechoes that moved through.

A few minutes ago my power flickered and it sounded like something slammed in my house. I heard some snapping of trees in my backyard.

Sustained winds 35 mph...recent gust to 51 mph here. Straight-line 30 mph.

The huge dry slot is keeping Ohio out of this one...but I can't remember seeing winds like this since the Spring/Summer of 2003 during the day after day durechoes that moved through.

A few minutes ago my power flickered and it sounded like something slammed in my house. I heard some snapping of trees in my backyard.

Sustained winds 35 mph...recent gust to 51 mph here. Straight-line 30 mph.

We have had quite a few trees down here in my area East Central IN tonight. Probably alot of it is due to the ground being completely saturated as well. All of the weather instruments here are down, no idea what speeds we are looking at.

The SPC LSR's report 9 GA deaths (2 in Trenton, 7 in Ringwald) as well as 1 in VA from a probable Tornado

CNN just reported that the Gov. of Alabama has stated there are 128 fatalities in his state alone :(

There is no question this is the worst Tornado Outbreak since 1974. You have to remember that our warning capability for Tornadoes is much better than in 1974.

The SPC LSR's report 9 GA deaths (2 in Trenton, 7 in Ringwald) as well as 1 in VA from a probable Tornado

CNN just reported that the Gov. of Alabama has stated there are 128 fatalities in his state alone :(

There is no question this is the worst Tornado Outbreak since 1974. You have to remember that our warning capability for Tornadoes is much better than in 1974.

If that Alabama total is correct, that would be the greatest loss of life in a single state from an outbreak since Indiana in 1965. No state affected by the Superoutbreak had deaths in the triple digits.