• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Historic Tornado Outbreak April 27, 2011

Although the death toll will undoubtedly rise, I find the report of "hundreds of casualties" really hard to believe. I mean, we haven't had a 100+ fatality tornado in decades, and that was during the pre-tornado siren days.

Roy Oswalt, our beloved pitcher on the Phillies, left the team to go make sure his family is ok. he lives somewhere down south MS/AL... so far, all seems well.. Just goes to show, no one is spared with mother nature...

Now back to this historic outbreak

I worked in a crew with Oswalt's father-in-law at Brown's Ferry Nuclear Plant near Athens, AL (the one referred to earlier as having to shut down after having power cut to it). Incidentally, Brown's Ferry is of the same design as the plant in Japan that is experiencing all the problems. Having personally been inside the reactor drywall of that plant, an F-5 could not damage the core. No chance. Losing power, however, is the same thing that caused the problems in Japan. It takes power to keep the reactor at a safe operating temperature.

Although the death toll will undoubtedly rise, I find the report of "hundreds of casualties" really hard to believe. I mean, we haven't had a 100+ fatality tornado in decades, and that was during the pre-tornado siren days.

I highly doubt there would be hundreds dead with such little coverage or mention about it.

The thing is, with what had happened this morning, most areas didn't have sirens today. This was the absolutely the worst possible scenario with respect to loss of sirens.

I highly doubt there would be hundreds dead with such little coverage or mention about it.

Go back and find the beginning of the Japan Tsunami thread on the main board (in no way, shape, or form am I suggesting the numbers will be comparable, just the trend of reports.)

The thing is, with what had happened this morning, most areas didn't have sirens today. This was the absolutely the worst possible scenario with respect to loss of sirens.

And there's not the level of specific storm shelters or underground shelter there is in, say, Oklahoma. And these are the rare tornadoes that can kill you in the interior bathroom of a real house.

true. however, never say never. If there ever was a day...

Infastrucutre issues from earlier storms had knocken out sirens, noaa wx radio broadcasts.... Tv mets were mentioning to actually pick up the phone and call because of some of these issues.

a major tornado ( possiblly EF-4 to EF-5) in tusculoosa and around birmingham, which are highly populated cities. Not saying its gonna happen or happened. Just in my line of work, ( firefighter) , never say never. There's always a precedent to be surpassed no matter how much technology, traiining and warnings you have.

But like you said, let's see where these casualties end up. Im praying for less, but it seems like the numbers always rise, even if just a bit.

Nice work today with the posting today. im sure you've had your hands full.

True enough but every time there is a combination of path and power that would result in hundreds of casualties. Eventually it all comes together. Maybe tonight was the night.