SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Paid the tolls...moving into winter

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, I look at it. Sometimes, it's treated as the red-headed step child..lol.

It has a fetish for extreme solutions sometimes even though its overall verification is good in the D5 range. Remember last year when it insisted we were getting 3 feet out of the New Years event...like 8 runs in a row until 60 hours out? lol

I think that's why its sometimes viewed with a drop of skepticism...but I would say the GFS certainly should not be viewed with more credibility because its a worse model than the Ukie. Yet, we often seem to get mesmorized by the GFS.

It has a fetish for extreme solutions sometimes even though its overall verification is good in the D5 range. Remember last year when it insisted we were getting 3 feet out of the New Years event...like 8 runs in a row until 60 hours out? lol

I think that's why its sometimes viewed with a drop of skepticism...but I would say the GFS certainly should not be viewed with more credibility because its a worse model than the Ukie. Yet, we often seem to get mesmorized by the GFS.

It did correctly call the northward extent of the Dec. 19th event.

I thought it also brought it into BID at one point too.

One other difference I noticed between the GFS and Euro is the GFS is farther east with the H5 low over AK D3-5 and this causes the ridge over BC and central canada to be farther east. You can see at hr120 the ridge in canada is back toward BC/Alberta on the Euro but more like Manitoba on the GFS. Keeping the low back farther west to the Aleutians should allow more ridging to build up in Canada, and for the ridge axis to be farther west.

Doesn't look like the 18z GFS will cooperate tonight. When do we finally put this 12/6 threat to rest? Thursday 12z?

Last night.

At least we can start Decmeber with below average temps, er......guess the month starts tomorrow.

Try gain. At least we can make up for tomorrow's warm start to December. Mighty chilly next week.

Last night.

At least we can start Decmeber with below average temps, er......guess the month starts tomorrow.

Try gain. At least we can make up for tomorrow's warm start to December. Mighty chilly next week.

Yeah that one has been laid to rest, imo. 12z models today trended towards the latter storm.

The 18z GFS is not a bad solution. It's a wide right.

Why does the darn block have to be so far south? :axe:

Don't sweat it yet; this pattern is so volatile that the ultimate outcome will not be consistently modeled remotely correctly until about 48-72 hrs out.

This has all the appeal of.....windy, cold, dry, cold, windy cold......BOOM; you have 48 hrs to prepare.

Could the culmination of all of this be P Cloudy and 29*, amid tauntingly trival, wind blown flurries.....sure, but we won't know whether or not that will be the case for days to come.

Still has that monster out on d12-13 like 12Z. If only.....

But the point is the block relaxes and then something pops. Sooner or later it happens.

This is where I think we can cash in too Jerry. I talked about an Archambault event as a possibility back on Nov 22 for the latter end of the first week in Dec. I may be off a few days but I still think we may see it.

Don't sweat it yet; this pattern is so volatile that the ultimate outcome will not be consistently modeled remotely correctly until about 48-72 hrs out.

This has all the appeal of.....windy, cold, dry, cold, windy cold......BOOM; you have 48 hrs to prepare.

Could the culmination of all of this be P Cloudy and 29*, amid tauntingly trival, wind blown flurries.....sure, but we won't know whether or not that will be the case for days to come.

Yeah, if we do see something try and rotate under this block, there's a good chance we won't see it until its much closer in. I have much less faith in Dec 5th now that modeling is coming to a better consensus for a strong vortex over us initially...though even that really isn't set in stone IMHO until another 24-36 hours.

Yeah, if we do see something try and rotate under this block, there's a good chance we won't see it until its much closer in. I have much less faith in Dec 5th now that modeling is coming to a better consensus for a strong vortex over us initially...though even that really isn't set in stone IMHO until another 24-36 hours.

Will, What's your take on the 12/8,9 storm? Watch and Wait? Or, What do we need to see happen for the storm to happen?

Archived