Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge late season snowstorm for the Hudson Valley and New England at 192 on the 18z GFS:

yeah, im getting excited for big noreaster mid april..obviously no snow here but look at that high showing up, could be high winds and heavy rain for nyc..long way to go, tho

yeah, im getting excited for big noreaster mid april..obviously no snow here but look at that high showing up, could be high winds and heavy rain for nyc..long way to go, tho

I'm definitely going to be chasing as it's a Saturday, the first day of spring break for those of us who work in the public schools (I'm a substitute teacher and also work at a restaurant a few nights per week)....if we get a big Nor'easter, I will either head to my family's vacation home in the Poconos or to Middlebury, VT where I have a bunch of friends from college. I wanted to chase the 3/31 storm until the system totally fell apart and didn't give anyone the expected amount of QPF. If you're interested and have the time, let me know...you're definitely invited! Snowman.gif

Maybe similar to the famous Tax Day Storm?

That storm got down to 968mb over NYC; at my college in Middlebury VT, we received 5" of snowfall before changing over to rain as the sun rose. I had no idea the storm was coming, wasn't following the weather closely, but I woke up to use the bathroom at 4am, glancing out the window as I'd heard casually that there might be some snow. Everything was covered in solid white and it was pouring snow, although I was so tired from papers and a broken arm that I fell asleep again quickly...The Adirondacks stayed all snow, as well as the Green Mountains, picking up over a foot of snow on 4/16/07. The photos of the flooding in NYC metro with the bare trees, hardly any buds upon them, remind me of the cold spring we're having this season. 2007 was even more extreme with a devastating hard freeze in early April that crippled the South's vegetation, as the -10C isotherm was all the way to the GA/SC border long after things had begun to leaf out down there. In Vermont, that was the tale of two winters...the first half being an unmitigated torch, and then the period from 1/18-4/16 being incredibly snowy and brutally cold. We had 25" in the Valentine's Day storm with blizzard conditions that shut down the campus (some parts of the Adirondacks had over 40", historic system), Burlington hit a record low of -18F on the morning of March 7th (four mornings in a row below 0F at no elevation in early March), and then the Tax Day Nor'easter crushed VT and Upstate NY...spring arrived on 4/20 when I was visiting a friend at Brown in PVD for spring concert weekend, temperatures in the 70s and the sweet smell of you know what pouring across the campus. Epic year that was....

GFS ensemble mean agrees. I wish I was there.:snowman:

I definitely wish our snow season went a little longer.

Apparently the 12z ECM is a decent hit for the Upper Midwest, I believe the 12z GGEM was a bit further north and had the heaviest snows over the Dakotas.

That system will cool us down a lot, Anthony...it's not going to be particularly warm with the cut-off, but the FROPA from the midwest snowstorm should get the suburbs a freeze.

I notice you like to post the GEFS. I use it as well. Well, FYI, and to all, NCEP is planning a big upgrade to the GEFS to have the SAME resolution as the OP GFS very soon. Won't that be a hoot!

Why would they go and ruin a good thing by making it exactly like the GFS? drunk.gif

I'm surprised you haven't started a flood thread and aren't posting your emergency response reports.

that's because I don't hype a flood threat when there really is no flood threat. The two times I hyped it earlier this year, we got major flooding both times.

I think its fair to mention it when March 1'st rolls around and there is still a large snowpack on the ground, as was the case both last year and this year.

Maybe I made a few poor estimates with regards to amounts in the past, but you act as if I know nothing, and thats far from the truth.

that's because I don't hype a flood threat when there really is no flood threat. The two times I hyped it earlier this year, we got major flooding both times.

I think its fair to mention it when March 1'st rolls around and there is still a large snowpack on the ground, as was the case both last year and this year.

Maybe I made a few poor estimates with regards to amounts in the past, but you act as if I know nothing, and thats far from the truth.

You reallly exagerate man, and I am not the only one who feels that way. Not every event wether rain, snow, whatever, is a major/sever event.

Take yesterday, you totally blew out of proportion the threat for severe weather.

You reallly exagerate man, and I am not the only one who feels that way. Not every event wether rain, snow, whatever, is a major/sever event.

Take yesterday, you totally blew out of proportion the threat for severe weather.

Why? Because I started a thread about it? I don't recall calling for a severe weather outbreak...

Anyone think that strong convection over the Chesepeake stands a chance at making up this way, it looks to be on a trajectory for north Jersey.

Thunderstorms at night are great. There's something about night that makes them feel more intense. The only thing is during the day I love watching the storms roll in. Seeing the awesome cloud structure and dark grey clouds approaching is probably the most exciting feeling. Can't wait till summer what's good

Archived