• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

2.25" here since Saturday...so really, not that much rain.

Actually getting some sunny breaks here this afternoon, warming things right up...and becoming downright steamy at times.

Me too. CT Blizz would weep if he saw my weed patch.

Don't mow the weed patch, yo. :pimp:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, no sun in the forecast right through next Thursday now. This is becoming quite an epic cloudy and wet stretch.

I think there will be a few breaks later this afternoon although it's going to be cloudier out your way. I had about 20 seconds of sun yesterday afternoon.

3.63" of rain for the event now after some heavy showers around midnight. 56.5F.

What a lovely week... claustrophobic low cloud ceilings around in the 2,000-2,500 foot range all week. The mountains look incredibly small when they disappear into the fog three-quarters of the way down the mountain.

Just below the fog at 2,000ft. Note 25 foot high pile of snow (still enough snow there to bury a 2-story house) on left side of photo at 1,600ft.

Best spring ever!

This is what it's come to...

Tonight: A chance of drizzle. The drizzle could be heavy at times. Patchy dense fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Light south wind.

I guess I'll take my weather variety any way I can get it at this point. I've heard people complaining about the continued chance for rain into next week, but I'd actually welcome a regime change to occasional sunny breaks punctuated by showers and storms. This quagmire of constant fog/drizzle with a 5-degree daily temperature range is driving me slowly but inexorably insane.

We've been having waves of thunderstorms move through... some impressive thunder and lightning with these storms but no wind. Had one an hour or two ago and now another one is moving in.

Very odd to have our storms come from klw's St J area... rare to see thunderstorms move east to west.

we've been out of the loop all week, sun has been around everyday except Monday, still sitting on 1.5" for the week, finished mowing and downed a beer watching these guys do their work

IMG_2413.jpg

watching the action down south, Belvidere Mt just visible in the gloom, heard rumbles, saw some flashes down in eden

IMG_2414.jpg

I see the calls for mostly cloudy extend to next Friday now. Are there records for longest periods of cloudy weather? :cry:

Hummingbirds are back on the feeder.

After two days of brutal labor, my extreme tropical garden has been planted. Now for the flower beds, which should take another 4-5 days to finish.

I have some neon orange tulips I may never see fully open... they won't open without sun and will likely die before the sun returns. Similar story with my saucer magnolias.

Its interesting to see how the ceiling elevation changes within my 45 mile view. To the west the ceilings are higher, almost 3000 feet. To my east the hills about 1500 are socked in.

On a separate note we have only risen to 70F or above 3 times this year. Highest reading I have had is 74F. Pretty impressive being its May 20th.

Yep, more of the same here too. Showers here, showers there, sometimes a break. I should've mowed the lawn on Thursday afternoon when it dried out some but alas, I didn't...

As PF mentioned-strange thunderstorms yesterday moving east to west over the area...and nary a breath of wind with them. Didn't pick up much rain yesterday--just 0.10" but enough to keep things soggy.

A little bit of rain this morning backing down from the NE, I reckon a sign that this puppy is at least slowing moving off to the east.

On another note, I found a pile of snow in Hanover yesterday--couldn't believe my eyes at first, but sure enough. It's a plow pile in an area that gets zero in the way of direct sun and it's all covered in pine needles, sticks and other debris. If it's still there on Monday, I'll snap a pic. ;)

PWM has not hit 70 yet this year. The last time it was 70 was October 8th, I believe.

They reached either 67 or 68 on March 17, and I'm not sure they've topped that reading since.

My mildest is exactly 70 on 4/29, and I've reached 69 this month, but have remained below 60 from last Sat onward - maybe today for 60+? No thunder, nor any +RA, yesterday, but showers 7A-2P dumped 0.50", considerably more than I'd expected - more than GYX had expected too, I think. The 7-day rain is now up to 3.27" as of 7 AM this morning. Lawn is long but too wet to mow; garden too wet to plant, though its sogginess helped in extracting dandelions. Apple blossoms still in bud, awaiting sun. Last year this date they had opened, frozen, and were toasty black.

Temp has jumped to 69.1F with variable sunshine. Looks like it's sparking some convection north of the lake as the boundary drops southward. SBCAPE is currently > 500 J/kg on SPC meso and WBZs are just above H75 for C NH. It should mostly be heavy rain, but maybe a few spots get some small hail.

"Scorching" up to 71.6F now. We've been getting a spike in solar radiation (just had a 1440 w/m^2 which is above the solar constant) thanks to some diffuse radiation that has been scattered off of the TCu/Cb just to the north. The end result is a nice temp spike as the convection approaches.

"Scorching" up to 71.6F now. We've been getting a spike in solar radiation (just had a 1440 w/m^2 which is above the solar constant) thanks to some diffuse radiation that has been scattered off of the TCu/Cb just to the north. The end result is a nice temp spike as the convection approaches.

So the suns radiation bounces off the surrounding clouds and can actually put out more energy in a given location than they would have on a cloudless day? That pretty neat and something i had never thought about but makes sense. Your into all the little nuances weather has to offer. I remember one day the temp dropped to below freezing at your location allowing some freezing drizzle to occur this past winter and you had a really informative reason why it had happened, I dont think it was evaporational cooling it was some other form I again had never heard of.

Lots of lightning strikes yesterday around 4pm. The dentist office up the street was hit and it started a large fire. Our house and the neighbor's house got hit. Popped a lot of circuit breakers an fried pretty much anything with an antenna.

Archived