• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

A bit breezy here this AM - we're far enough from the ocean storm to have more sun than cloud, though. 1st blackflies seen Sat, pesky but not yet hungry, their "checking the menu" stage. Saturday also featured our 1st "real" TS of the year - the ones in Feb and April came with frozen precip and were sidelights within larger sytems. Sat's storm lasted 40 minutes (only 0.12") with strikes at 1-2/minute, none particularly close, and wind gusts near 30. The back edge - lighter clouds - was visible to the west the entire time.

Looks like a pretty nice week, then a disaster (RA and 40s) for the weekend. Hope that latter scenario changes.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that hasn't been discussed much is the continued record flooding of Lake Champlain. It is hard to grasp just how unprecedented this is for the Nation's 6th largest lake.

The lake has been a full 1-2 feet above the Record crests at the two main sites. It is a full foot higher than the previous record crest at Rouses Point, NY which was way back in 1869!! This is at least a 140 year flood, and likely much more than that. BTV has been issuing Special Lake Weather Discussions now, and the water level is off the charts. Check out how high above "record" this is now:

Historical Crests at Rouses Point, NY

(1) 102.10 ft on 05/04/1869

(2) 101.88 ft on 04/25/1993

(3) 101.86 ft on 04/28/1993

(4) 101.80 ft on 03/30/1903

Additional Record Flood Information

Previous maximum observed elevation was 101.88 ft (seiche affected), on April 25, 1993, and 101.86 ft (no seiche), on April 28, 1993. Maximum known elevation since at least 1827 was 102.1 ft on May 4, 1869, surveyed from high water marks on a nearby railroad bridge. Official period of record is October 1863 to present, but because of gage moves it only is representative of Lake Champlain from March 1871 onward, thus the 1869 high water mark reading.

Here's the water level at the Burlington gage (record period *only* goes back to 1907 here, but its still over a foot above any previous recorded level at this site):

Historical Crests at Burlington, VT

(1) 101.86 ft on 04/27/1993

(2) 101.03 ft on 05/15/2000

(3) 98.40 ft on 04/10/1999

(4) 94.59 ft on 09/30/2000

Additional Record Flood Information

Previous maximum observed elevation was 101.86 ft, on April 27, 1993. Official period of record is May 1907 to present.

.SPECIAL LAKE CHAMPLAIN WEATHER DISCUSSION...

AS OF 745 AM EDT SUNDAY...LAKE CHAMPLAIN HAS LEVELED OFF AND WILL

BEGIN A SLOW RECESSION.

WINDS ON THE LAKE HAVE TURNED NORTHERLY AND ARE FORECAST TO BE 10

TO 15 KNOTS THROUGH TONIGHT...AND INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 KNOTS ON

MONDAY. WAVE HEIGHTS ARE FORECAST TO BE 1 TO 2 FEET...AND NORTH

FACING SHORES...ESPECIALLY AT THE SOUTH END OF THE LAKE...WILL BE

SUSCEPTIBLE TO THE BATTERING FORCE OF WAVES. THE NORTH WINDS WILL

ALSO PUSH WATER SOUTH...AND WE EXPECT TO SEE HIGHER LAKE LEVEL

READINGS AT THE GAGE IN WHITEHALL...AND LOWER AT ROUSES POINT.

A WEBPAGE HAS BEEN CREATED THAT CONTAINS INFORMATION ABOUT THE

FLOODING CONDITIONS ON LAKE CHAMPLAIN. FOR MORE INFORMATION...

PLEASE VISIT HTTP:/WWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV/BTV/LAKE/FLOODINFO.PHP (MUST

USE LOWER CASE)

FOR BOATERS...MANY HAZARDS SUCH AS BREAKWATER AND OTHER ROCKS OR

OBSTRUCTIONS MAY BE OBSCURED BY THE HIGH WATER LEVELS. IN

ADDITION...HIGH FLOW FROM RIVERS OVER THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAS

DELIVERED PLENTY OF DEBRIS INTO THE LAKE. LASTLY...THE LAKE

TEMPERATURE IS ONLY IN THE UPPER 30S. DUE TO ALL OF THE ABOVE

FACTORS...BOATING IS DISCOURAGED AT THIS TIME.

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR

THE LAKE CHAMPLAIN AT ROUSES POINT.

* AT 11:00 AM SUNDAY THE STAGE WAS 102.9 FEET.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 100.0 FEET.

* RECORD FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND RECORD FLOODING IS FORECAST.

* FORECAST...LAKE CHAMPLAIN WILL CONTINUE TO SLOWLY RECEDE.

* IMPACT...AT 103.0 FEET...THERE WILL BE EXTENSIVE SEVERE SHORELINE

FLOODING OF HOMES AND LOCAL ROADS. THE FOLLOWING HIGHWAYS IN

VERMONT WILL FLOOD...ROUTES 2 AND 78 TO GRAND ISLE COUNTY...ROUTE

129 FROM ALBURGH TO ISLE LAMOTTE...AND ROUTE 36 IN SAINT ALBANS. IN

PLATTSBURGH NEW YORK...ROUTE 9 WILL FLOOD. WIND AND WAVE ACTION

WILL CAUSE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO FLOODED HOMES AND CAMPS...AND ERODE

ROADBEDS.

Just imagine the amount of water and snow melt it takes to raise the 6th largest lake in the U.S. over a foot higher than any previous record event with a very significant period of record. This is what happens when the mountains get 300 inches of snow and then it proceeds to rain 5-9" along with that snow melt.

Meanwhile, with the flooding, there is still snow left in the mountains to melt so Lake Champlain probably isn't going down quickly. Mansfield co-op still at a 4' snow depth and I'm sure there's a lot of water locked up in that snowpack. I could also still see snow in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks when viewed from the VT side of the Lake.

615 PM EDT SUN MAY 8 2011
STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT     	SNOW
              	24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER 	NEW TOTAL SWE
MOUNT MANSFIELD 	0.00    48  38  42                0.0  48    

48" on May 8th though isn't all that spectacular... its a far cry from 1997 when there was still 4 feet on June 1st.

stake2.jpeg

And if there was any doubt that there was snow left in the Greens...

Jay Peak will be open for skiing & riding again this weekend, May 14th-15th. Their golf course is also opening this weekend. Gotta love this time of year in NNE... play on the snow and in the fairways in the same day. I've done that several other times via hiking/skinning to ski and then played golf, but I've never ridden a chairlift to ski followed by golf.

That Lake Champlain/Lake George area flooding is really cramping my style for reasons I can't discuss here.

Last visible snow banks on shaded field edges gone from N. Aroostook today. I drove down to Chester, CT yest,. and figure what I saw then is toast today.

Launched my luxurious barge today. Nice to be afloat again. Ct. river is still running1-2' high.

Would someone please do something about the pollen this year? Worst spring I've had in decades. Riding around Chester/Deep river w/kleenex' stuffed in each nostril.

Getting lots of looks. Screw 'em.

Vim Toot!

48" on May 8th though isn't all that spectacular... its a far cry from 1997 when there was still 4 feet on June 1st.

It's not really that impressive considering there was 80" at the stake just a couple weeks ago.

We missed a huge elevation snowstorm when last week's cut-off tracked just to our west, and the string of sunny days is probably hurting the snowpack, along with the fact that we haven't seen any period of sustained below average temperatures. The GFS/GEFS vastly overestimated the strength of the -NAO blocking, and the fact that the Greenland block never fully developed allowed last week's big closed low to warm sector New England as well as keep us in fairly mild conditions this week with another closed low way off the coast instead of taking a more traditional, coastal track that would have allowed a cloud deck to settle in and protect the snow.

I just looked up Middlebury's forecast, and it shows sunny skies every day through Friday with highs in the mid 60s-lower 70s. This is a rare stretch of clear weather for the North County, and even Friday only shows a 30% chance of showers, so the sun may poke through yet again. The high sun angle is really good at decimating the snowpack when we get into April or May; even with the same temperatures, Mount Mansfield would have far more snow if we weren't enjoying such a gorgeous stretch of sunny weather. Interestingly, NWS does show patchy frost for Middlebury at 300' elevation, so many places in Vermont's Green Mountains and foothills could see a hard frost tonight...it may be a good time to cover the garden or bring flower pots inside. I'm so glad we're done with down here in Westchester as I've got eggplant, zucchini, winter squash, tomatoes, and peppers all planted in the ground. The coldest it's supposed to get in the NYC 'burbs is 46F, a far cry from NNE and quite safe for the vegetables. As the week goes on, warmth should dominate, and I expect the elevated areas up north will green up quickly, as well as farmers/gardeners enjoying rapid growth from their crops.

It's not really that impressive considering there was 80" at the stake just a couple weeks ago.

I expect the elevated areas up north will green up quickly, as well as farmers/gardeners enjoying rapid growth from their crops.

I guess on the glass half full side, we're lucky to still have a ridiculous amount of snow for May, albeit man made, but skiing later than we ever have

Pretty sure it can't get much greener in the valley.

IMG_2406.jpg

jealous of your growing season nz. just getting tilled this week and getting our greens, radishes, carrots, etc. seeded

our toms live in the window sill and won't get into the soil until 6/1 or so

jealous of your growing season nz. just getting tilled this week and getting our greens, radishes, carrots, etc. seeded

our toms live in the window sill and won't get into the soil until 6/1 or so

I love the winter and the landscape of the North Country, but I have to say I also enjoy having a long growing season. It's pretty essential to have an extended season and hot temperatures for eggplants and heirloom tomatoes, which are my favorite vegetables to raise. I particularly like making tomato, mozzarella, and basil Caprese salads with heirloom tomatoes of all different colors, drizzled with a bit of olive oil and balsamic for extra flavor; the mix of colors is really gorgeous, as I grow everything from White Wonder to Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I also love using homegrown eggplant to make Baba Ghanouj, a Middle Eastern dish of roasted eggplant, garlic, tahini (sesame paste), flat-leaf parsley, and lemon juice. Later in the summer, I also prepare Eggplant Parmesan with Black Beauty eggplant; also, the marinara sauce is almost entirely from my garden using beefsteak tomatoes, habañero peppers (easy to grow), and herbs like basil and oregano that I have every year. This dish is particularly delicious, especially if you bread and fry the eggplant first before transferring it to a roasting pan with the marinara sauce and cheese on top, perfection.

It takes a long time to get things started up there. I started tomatoes in seed racks indoors around April 8th, planted them last week as small seedlings. I also purchased some fast-growing, high-yielding hybrid tomatoes from Home Depot like Lemon Boy, Early Girl, cherries, grape tomatoes, etc....these hardier varieties were put in the ground April 15-20, and all seem to be doing fine. I planted arugula on April 10th, already made a small first harvest to make salads of arugula, blue cheese, dried cranberry, and toasted almonds for Mother's Day dinner. The arugula is growing fast, and I will get a larger second harvest by the end of next week; I have planted more in shadier areas for the summer season, as they don't like extreme heat/sun. My peas are also going to be ready by early-mid June as they are already growing a couple feet tall and sending out their feelers. Almost all of my squashes are developing their real triangular leaves (not the baby circular leaves, which have been there for over a week)...the zucchini looks particularly good. With the Hudson Valley's naturally rich soil, my addition of kelp this year as an organic fertilizer, and temperatures consistently in the upper 60s-low 70s, the garden is doing very well. My last plants will go in this week, a tray of rare heirloom peppers and tomatoes from Seed Savers Exchange; I don't have much more room on my small property to put them directly in the ground, so I will be using large pots and containers. I find containers to be advantageous in many ways as they heat up faster, especially when I place them on the asphalt driveway during the summer.

I'll put to together my report and pictures later...

I finally got a chance to finish up my report and images from Stowe on Friday, so I’ve added a few below and the rest can be seen in the full Stowe report from May 6th. Going forward, I believe Jay Peak is the only resort still spinning lifts this weekend; everywhere else around here is going to be hike/skin-served. The weather looks great this week though, with plenty of dry weather, so if evening temperatures can get low enough there should be some great corn cycling.

06MAY11A.jpg

06MAY11C.jpg

06MAY11F.jpg

06MAY11I.jpg

I love the winter and the landscape of the North Country, but I have to say I also enjoy having a long growing season. It's pretty essential to have an extended season and hot temperatures for eggplants and heirloom tomatoes, which are my favorite vegetables to raise. I particularly like making tomato, mozzarella, and basil Caprese salads with heirloom tomatoes of all different colors, drizzled with a bit of olive oil and balsamic for extra flavor; the mix of colors is really gorgeous, as I grow everything from White Wonder to Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I also love using homegrown eggplant to make Baba Ghanouj, a Middle Eastern dish of roasted eggplant, garlic, tahini (sesame paste), flat-leaf parsley, and lemon juice. Later in the summer, I also prepare Eggplant Parmesan with Black Beauty eggplant; also, the marinara sauce is almost entirely from my garden using beefsteak tomatoes, habañero peppers (easy to grow), and herbs like basil and oregano that I have every year. This dish is particularly delicious, especially if you bread and fry the eggplant first before transferring it to a roasting pan with the marinara sauce and cheese on top, perfection.

It takes a long time to get things started up there. I started tomatoes in seed racks indoors around April 8th, planted them last week as small seedlings. I also purchased some fast-growing, high-yielding hybrid tomatoes from Home Depot like Lemon Boy, Early Girl, cherries, grape tomatoes, etc....these hardier varieties were put in the ground April 15-20, and all seem to be doing fine. I planted arugula on April 10th, already made a small first harvest to make salads of arugula, blue cheese, dried cranberry, and toasted almonds for Mother's Day dinner. The arugula is growing fast, and I will get a larger second harvest by the end of next week; I have planted more in shadier areas for the summer season, as they don't like extreme heat/sun. My peas are also going to be ready by early-mid June as they are already growing a couple feet tall and sending out their feelers. Almost all of my squashes are developing their real triangular leaves (not the baby circular leaves, which have been there for over a week)...the zucchini looks particularly good. With the Hudson Valley's naturally rich soil, my addition of kelp this year as an organic fertilizer, and temperatures consistently in the upper 60s-low 70s, the garden is doing very well. My last plants will go in this week, a tray of rare heirloom peppers and tomatoes from Seed Savers Exchange; I don't have much more room on my small property to put them directly in the ground, so I will be using large pots and containers. I find containers to be advantageous in many ways as they heat up faster, especially when I place them on the asphalt driveway during the summer.

Its still in dream state, but someday we'll have a small greenhouse to allow for our hot weather veggies to thrive. haven't tried cold framing yet, but yardsale season should be in full swing here shortly, so if we can score some old windows I am going to give it a go. we are lucky, our CSA is very diverse and provides fresh warm weather veggies by mid june and we get a fair bit of local produce through the winter, but you better love squash, kale, and chard :)

edit: wicked nice pics J.

The Loaf ran their lifts for the last day yest; still lots of white stuff there.

The Dobbs Ferry garden sounds mouthwatering, though my distaste for HHH is strong enough to overcome my angst when frost comes just before/after Memorial Day. Garden takes a hit this year, as I'm going no-till (can't run the tiller until the collar comes off, early June at the earliest.) Thus I'll skip the corn, have 1-2 fewer plantings of good old Provider beans - we like ours fresh and usually uncooked, so sequential rows planted 5/20 thru about 7/4 work best. I hope to get carrots and arugula in this weekend. Maybe the delay in many crops will be long enough for the worst of the blackflies to have passed. (Generally, the season peaks here sometime in the latter half of May. (Then the skeeters arrive, but they're not much of a daytime issue.)

Tomorrow markes the anniversary of my worst shoot-killing freeze. Leaf out is 7-10 days behind last year (meaning, close to the norm) and little likelihood of frost this week.

I finally got a chance to finish up my report and images from Stowe on Friday, so I’ve added a few below and the rest can be seen in the full Stowe report from May 6th. Going forward, I believe Jay Peak is the only resort still spinning lifts this weekend; everywhere else around here is going to be hike/skin-served. The weather looks great this week though, with plenty of dry weather, so if evening temperatures can get low enough there should be some great corn cycling.

Awesome pics, Jay! I especially like the one from Waterbury Center of Mansfield (first shot) and the one of the two people going up Nosedive. If you were there early in the morning, my guess is those two are Greg and Christian.

Blue skies and fresh snow never get old, even in May.

I've got some free time so I'm heading up the road tomorrow for a skin and ski. I've got 147 days on skis and snow so far this season (since mid-October) and am hoping to get to 150. Almost half the year spent doing at least one run on Mansfield is not a bad way to live ;)

I love the winter and the landscape of the North Country, but I have to say I also enjoy having a long growing season.

Yeah, I'm not a gardener but you're garden sounds mouth-watering as Tamarack said. But I really have no use for a growing season at all, haha. Still hasn't officially started around these parts (hit 30F last night with heavy frost), so I know BTV isn't doing frost or freeze statements yet... maybe for the Champlain Valley though, but BTV is another world and only got down to 40. Amazing that in the interior mountain valleys we'll routinely be 8-12F colder at night than Burlington... I really enjoyed that last summer though when it would be 62F for a low at BTV and 50F out here.

And speaking of snow on Mansfield, we're still above average so can't complain. Average melt-out based on the graph is the second week of June. I find that hard to believe because that means there are years it lasts till late June and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything past June 15th. The funny thing is, I'm not sure if the climate is changing or if we've just had a good run of winters, but in the 7 years I've been up here I've never had the snowpack "peak out" lower than the average. Even last year was a horrible snow year and the stake hit 100". More often than not (since 2000), the snowpack peaks out much above the 60-year average... so there must've been some awful winters in the 80s and 90s to balance all these above average snowpack years out.

60-year average vs. this winter....the end of the year is always a steep, steep decline. Interesting at how quickly it pitches downward and then seems to take forever to melt the last few inches (based on the average plot). Or I wonder if that's just a bunch of "traces" being recorded until the last patch around the stake melts the second week of June.

Yeah, I'm not a gardener but you're garden sounds mouth-watering as Tamarack said. But I really have no use for a growing season at all, haha. Still hasn't officially started around these parts (hit 30F last night with heavy frost), so I know BTV isn't doing frost or freeze statements yet... maybe for the Champlain Valley though, but BTV is another world and only got down to 40. Amazing that in the interior mountain valleys we'll routinely be 8-12F colder at night than Burlington... I really enjoyed that last summer though when it would be 62F for a low at BTV and 50F out here.

And speaking of snow on Mansfield, we're still above average so can't complain. Average melt-out based on the graph is the second week of June. I find that hard to believe because that means there are years it lasts till late June and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything past June 15th. The funny thing is, I'm not sure if the climate is changing or if we've just had a good run of winters, but in the 7 years I've been up here I've never had the snowpack "peak out" lower than the average. Even last year was a horrible snow year and the stake hit 100". More often than not (since 2000), the snowpack peaks out much above the 60-year average... so there must've been some awful winters in the 80s and 90s to balance all these above average snowpack years out.

60-year average vs. this winter....the end of the year is always a steep, steep decline. Interesting at how quickly it pitches downward and then seems to take forever to melt the last few inches (based on the average plot). Or I wonder if that's just a bunch of "traces" being recorded until the last patch around the stake melts the second week of June.

Thanks for the compliments on the garden...it's not too difficult to have a decent vegetable patch when you're blessed with Hudson Valley soil, a 6-month growing season, and an average high of 86F in mid-July. Of course I do put in a lot of hours to make it happen, as it's quite difficult to plant a lot of vegetables with only 0.2 acres of property and tons of hilliness, though I've found a lot of ways to fit in decent quantities of food...I do everything from the upside-down tomato planter (which will be playing host to an heirloom cherry tomato called Lemon Drop this year), to large bins/pots filled with my garden mix (cheap top soil, cow manure, kelp meal, peat moss, handful of potting soil), to my latest bad idea of growing large winter squashes amidst the pachysandra that comprises our front lawn, hoping not to destroy the ground cover in the process. The only thing I've harvested so far is arugula, but I should have a lot more salad stuff like baby spinach and various lettuces by early-mid June as well as peas, which I raise in large plastic bins. With the rate they are growing, I also expect to have the first green beans by mid-June. Still left to plant are 3 rare heirloom tomatoes and 3 heirloom peppers, arriving as transplants in the mail Friday, sweet corn seeds to be sown tomorrow in some random location, and a few bunches of lettuce which are being raised in yogurt containers on the front porch until they mature.

It's interesting that Mount Mansfield acquires a similar snowpack to the mid-elevation peaks I saw in Glacier National Park last summer at 6000-7000', with over 100" piling up on Mansfield during good winters, but it fades much much more quickly with the lower elevation. It's a sudden release of snowpack in May/early June as the relatively low elevations of the Greens just can't hold snow with the strong summertime sun angle, so you melt off a foot every few days if you have a healthy snowpack at this time of the year. This sudden melt is also a much bigger problem in terms of flooding than what you find out west where the snowpack releases MUCH more slowly, over the entire summer through about early-mid August, as well as the fact that Vermont is obviously a wetter climate anyway.

There were some awful winters in the 1980s particularly....I think VT really got screwed in stronger El Niños like 86-87 and 87-88 which concentrated most of their storms in the mid-Atlantic. 81-82 and 83-84 were probably pretty snowy in the Greens (except the disastrously record warm February of 1984), but aside from those years there were a lot of duds like 79-80, 82-83, 86-87, 87-88, and surprisingly the strong Niña winter of 88-89 which I believe was very dry in New England.

Here is a mediocre picture of my cauliflower, taken around May 1st of a plant that was started on April 8th...it's already grown like 6" since this was taken with the favorable weather:

Amazing shots folks of the snow lingering in the high Greens. Glad there's still some skiing going on!

I've switched gears. Full-on spring mode now.

Not much to report as it's been pretty quiet. A little too quiet, I'd say, stuck in the squeeze-play as we've been this week. I'll welcome some rain if it comes to fruition this weekend. Ground water levels are obviously fine but it's surificially dry as often happens this time of year...

I guess on the glass half full side, we're lucky to still have a ridiculous amount of snow for May, albeit man made, but skiing later than we ever have

Man made is keeping us skiing to the bottom but you can still ski the glades above 3,000ft, lol. Last Friday was easily the latest date on the calendar that I've made runs through the trees. This is a few hundred feet below the stake, and snow depths varied widely, but in general 3-4 feet away from tree canopy.

The woods are interesting this time of year, with bear, cat, and coyote tracks criss-crossing you never know what animal might be around the next corner. Two years ago I came face to face with a mangy gray "german-sheppard" looking dog. We stared at each other in the fog and it took me a few moments to realize it was not someone's lost dog but a coyote. We both went opposite directions, haha.

IMG_5456_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5463_edited-1.jpg

Heading up now for a run... will have updated snowpack info ;)

Black flies are working for the red cross doing blood drives around here, This weather sucks, Pretty tough getting any yard work done in constant on and off rain or showers......... :thumbsdown:

No black flies here yet and no showers for several days....

All's quiet on the western NE front.

Pretty chilly this morning. Got down to 36F at the house. No frost in the yard but there were a few patches down in the low-lying hollows below the house....

The disadvantages of being near the atlantic this time of year...

I understand well--I've lived in Maine and coastal NH and know well the springtime frustrations from your neck of the woods. :arrowhead:

fresh fiddleheads! another step in the spring direction. roof is done, next....

PF looks like Manny holding better snow than J, you would have to get up into North Jay Peak and BIg Jay, in the willy whacks to find that - I would say just about anything left on the ski hill is man made. got two more days on skis left in me - pedal season is taking over in the desire department

east wind finally has shut down - diggin blackies out the eyes, another right of springthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived