Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our mutual friend says it's not snowing.

HMMMM

Hmmm is right...I saw our mutual friend's car in his apartment parking lot; Its awesome that he's now living in town! I ran into sleet and graupel around 3,000ft, but did find some flakes up on the Nose by the WCAX towers at roughly 4,100ft. I spoke with the Mountain Operations personnel that reported the snow and they described it as a pellet-like snow during the heaviest portion of the squall. Said it started as light rain but switched over during the period of heavy precipitation. Given that the thermometer was showing ~34F when I was up there, and saw a few legit snowflakes when the precipitation picked up, I'd say it did snow.

Of course, no accums anywhere but it did look like some rime icing might have been forming on the metal WCAX towers.

A damp, chilly 47F here in town at 800ft... it was 44F on my car at 1,500ft in the Mountain Ops parking lot. 40s in the inhabited lower elevations (below 2,000ft) at midday in June is pretty impressive.

Upslope rain and mixed precipitation is really cranking now. Wind-driven steady rain here in town. Once the sun goes down and a little colder air comes in at H85, I wonder if we'll wake up to some white on the ridgeline tomorrow morning.

This is just text-book NW-flow upslope radar signature. The precipitation keeps on coming; we can't dry out at all. Mansfield was like one giant swamp thanks to the foot of rain up there in the past month.

Hmmm is right...I saw our mutual friend's car in his apartment parking lot; Its awesome that he's now living in town! I ran into sleet and graupel around 3,000ft, but did find some flakes up on the Nose by the WCAX towers at roughly 4,100ft. I spoke with the Mountain Operations personnel that reported the snow and they described it as a pellet-like snow during the heaviest portion of the squall. Said it started as light rain but switched over during the period of heavy precipitation. Given that the thermometer was showing ~34F when I was up there, and saw a few legit snowflakes when the precipitation picked up, I'd say it did snow.

Of course, no accums anywhere but it did look like some rime icing might have been forming on the metal WCAX towers.

A damp, chilly 47F here in town at 800ft... it was 44F on my car at 1,500ft in the Mountain Ops parking lot. 40s in the inhabited lower elevations (below 2,000ft) at midday in June is pretty impressive.

Upslope rain and mixed precipitation is really cranking now. Wind-driven steady rain here in town. Once the sun goes down and a little colder air comes in at H85, I wonder if we'll wake up to some white on the ridgeline tomorrow morning.

This is just text-book NW-flow upslope radar signature. The precipitation keeps on coming; we can't dry out at all. Mansfield was like one giant swamp thanks to the foot of rain up there in the past month.

a) You know what's going to be even more awesome? I'm moving to Burlington in July.

B) I'd really look at Mt. Washington - it's going to be pretty wooly up there.

c) All the high res models def. cool h85 to below 0c along the high spine of the greens and in the whites so I would say you should see white if you get up before any solar effects.

d) I'm sure said friend will have the pics to prove it if it is there.

a) You know what's going to be even more awesome? I'm moving to Burlington in July.

B) I'd really look at Mt. Washington - it's going to be pretty wooly up there.

c) All the high res models def. cool h85 to below 0c along the high spine of the greens and in the whites so I would say you should see white if you get up before any solar effects.

d) I'm sure said friend will have the pics to prove it if it is there.

Sweet dude! G mentioned something about that a while back... now you'll get to forecast for your backyard.

Its been raining pretty steadily in town since 5pm or so. This would be quite the upslope snow event in the winter... who knows what's going on up there right now (rain or snow) but this event is squeezing every last drop of moisture out of the air over the mountains.

Its been raining pretty steadily in town since 5pm or so. This would be quite the upslope snow event in the winter... who knows what's going on up there right now (rain or snow) but this event is squeezing every last drop of moisture out of the air over the mountains.

There were just a few spits of rain in Burlington when I left yesterday afternoon, but of course I got to the house and it was a steady light rain with a tenth or two of an inch already in the gauge. This morning the gauge contained 0.27” of liquid in it and I thought, heck, that’s a half foot of upslope snow right there when the temperatures are appropriate. I was looking at the radar image in your post and could see how at one point it exploded with 35 db and even a few 40 db echoes over our area at the junction of I-89 and the Chittenden/Washington county line, and then dissipated on the east side of the mountains once it dropped its payload:

02JUN11A.gif

When I submitted my report to CoCoRaHS this morning, I took a quick look at what some of the other stations had reported. I sorted the list below from around 7:00 A.M. by total precipitation, but even without that, it was pretty easy to see the locations that got the liquid:

03JUN11A.jpg

I haven’t been able to check out the local peaks to see if they have any white on them because they’ve been socked in, but Mt. Washington got some new snow and they must have been whitened. It’s 26 F up there now with freezing fog and 50+ MPH winds. With such a good-looking forecast for tomorrow, we may head over for some turns, but these past couple of days certainly should have been good for snow preservation.

Also adk... this will become your backyard. These were from between showers/squalls today.

I know....it's killing me. I'm gonna hate it.

I'll holler at you when I'm fully settled and we can talk weather over beers. Plan a way to sneak a wx station up on top of Grey in the ADK. That would be sweet!

riding the rollercoaster!

went from standing in the oven on wed with a high of 89 and wind strong enough to blow you off your bike to staring at the thermostat last night debating rolling the dial with a low of 39 this morning under perfect grey skies and riding in winter gear. had a good laugh with a client about dressing your kids for a day in NNE, travel bag with half a closet packed in 'cause you never know

no snow on Jay. nice pics PF

That is very cool, could this mean more weather obs for NVT?

It will mean likely more "it's snowing outside my office downtown" and "Spear Street was a mess this AM"

I don't have the patience to erect the weather robot like you J-Spin. I already have a coffee robot that's plotting to kill me. I don't need more gadgets to try to take over my home when the machines become self-aware.

That first picture is one of the best you've ever posted... I love it.

Thanks man... I spared you guys any photos of snow because by now I think you know what dirty snow piles under dense evergreens look like ;)

I had some pics of wet flurries and pellets at the summit but it was so foggy that you just can't even tell anything is falling. Certainly not 1/4sm +SN, lol.

There were just a few spits of rain in Burlington when I left yesterday afternoon, but of course I got to the house and it was a steady light rain with a tenth or two of an inch already in the gauge. This morning the gauge contained 0.27” of liquid in it and I thought, heck, that’s a half foot of upslope snow right there when the temperatures are appropriate. I was looking at the radar image in your post and could see how at one point it exploded with 35 db and even a few 40 db echoes over our area at the junction of I-89 and the Chittenden/Washington county line, and then dissipated on the east side of the mountains once it dropped its payload:

Haha you had exactly the same thoughts I was having last night. You can always tell its upslope rain, too, because 95% of the time its a very fine, small rain drop, but a lot of them. It can look like a mist at times almost, but then you look in the puddles outside and see that it is actually raining pretty steadily.

But yeah, some of those radar shots last night were classic with consistent 30-40dbz lighting up within 5 miles of the Spine (both west and east) before dissipating. And as we so often see in the winter, once the composite radar starts showing yellow (30dbz), that generally means 1"/hr snowfall rates. 35-40dbz can be closer to 2"/hr of pure fluff. We'd be waking up this morning to a fresh foot in the mountains, haha.

I love looking at the upslope precipitation distribution with J.Spin right on the Spine picking up the 0.27". Going east from him, you get into the two locations with 0.18", then immediate east of that it drops to near 0.10", and by the time you hit the other side of Washington County you are only seeing Trace-0.05" reported. This was one of those events that actually favored the Spine and first few miles east of the geographic spine... as opposed to the western slope communities (which did quite well but radar and strong H85-H7 winds suggested that the precipitation "fallout" would be heaviest on the eastern side of the Spine).

It will mean likely more "it's snowing outside my office downtown" and "Spear Street was a mess this AM"

Actually those are just the type of observations that I was thinking of; those real-time obs are great for painting the picture of what's going on when a winter storm comes through, and they help out in terms of travel, recreation, etc., etc.

Awesome about the snow in NNE (MWN, Stowe)Any word on confirmed TOR in NH (near Keene, or the one near Berlin) or ME (near Bethel)?

Haven't heard about EEN. NWS Gray has confirmed a brief (track 1/4 mile) F1 in Bryant Pond, just east of Bethel, and likely from the same cell that affected BML. Also confirmed was a much more persistent (track 8 miles) F1 in Embden, NW of Skowhegan (and not Solon, across the Kennebec from Embden, as I'd implied in my earlier post.) Both twisters did mainly tree damage, and some roads in Embden were taking multiple days to clear.

Pretty solid overcast at 11 AM in AUG, and cloud texture suggests some precip tho none is reaching the ground. Mid 50s with a stiff NW breeze. If the clouds and wind disappear early this evening, my frost pocket BY could make a run at 32.

I don't have the patience to erect the weather robot like you J-Spin. I already have a coffee robot that's plotting to kill me. I don't need more gadgets to try to take over my home when the machines become self-aware.

Haha but those obs will work! I've been wanting a more "full-time" observer on here from Burlington. Always good to know whats going on over at good ol' BTV. I do not miss driving around the hills of that city in a snowstorm though, lol. Try taking "Cliff Street" in a blizzard and let me know if you make it to the top, or just start sliding backwards while your tires are going forwards... but a perfect street to ski down ;)

Where are you living? Right in downtown?

For the record, I live within quarter of a mile of BTV (closest to the 15 threshold) and while I rarely post here I actively read the boards and when the time comes would love to contribute observational data to the board.

For the record, I live within quarter of a mile of BTV (closest to the 15 threshold) and while I rarely post here I actively read the boards and when the time comes would love to contribute observational data to the board.

Nice dude... I knew you were close to BTV and pop in occasionally during storms (I remember your obs from the March 7-8 storm). I remember when I lived in Burlington there were like 4 or 5 of us posting from Burlington during the Valentines Day storm of '07.

Can we get some early June frost tonight? BTV has a low temperature of 37F for Stowe village tonight, and 34F for the "high valley" location of 1,500ft at the base of the ski resort.

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM SATURDAY/...

AS OF 349 AM EDT FRIDAY...HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO THE REGION

TONIGHT FROM THE NORTHWEST. THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR CLEAR

SKIES...LIGHT WINDS...AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF SOME PATCHY FROST

ACROSS THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS...THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF VERMONT

IN AND AROUND MOUNTAIN VALLEYS ALONG THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. THE

WARMING TREND CONTINUES ACROSS THE AREA ON SATURDAY WITH PLENTY OF

SUNSHINE AND TEMPERATURES A FEW DEGREES WARMER THAN FRIDAY...JUST

ABOUT REACHING SEASONAL NORMALS. WIND SPEEDS WILL GENERALLY BE

UNDER 10 MPH.

I haven’t been able to check out the local peaks to see if they have any white on them because they’ve been socked in, but Mt. Washington got some new snow and they must have been whitened. It’s 26 F up there now with freezing fog and 50+ MPH winds. With such a good-looking forecast for tomorrow, we may head over for some turns, but these past couple of days certainly should have been good for snow preservation.

Mansfield and the Greens broke out of the clouds a couple hours ago, and I can't quite see any white up there, but now Mt. Washington has finally broken free of the clouds as well, and there could still be some new snow/rime up there looking at the Ravines web cam (below). It's only the low-res version, but above the 5,000' to 5,500' level, it certainly seems like there is some new white stuff. Since they are still a couple degrees below freezing at the summit, whatever is up there should be frozen anyway. It's nice to see that Tuckerman and some of the snowfield remnants are still holding on, even though the remaining snowpack is somewhat low relative to a more typical season at this point (since July of last year they are about 70 inches below average on snowfall: 246.2”/314.8” or 78.3% of normal).

03JUN11B.jpg

Thanks man... I spared you guys any photos of snow because by now I think you know what dirty snow piles under dense evergreens look like ;)

I had some pics of wet flurries and pellets at the summit but it was so foggy that you just can't even tell anything is falling. Certainly not 1/4sm +SN, lol.

That is a great shot of the notch PF, with the Green Mountains absolutely living up to their name - can I get the full res version? As we head into summer I'd love to use it as a header shot for our web page.

Archived