• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

So the suns radiation bounces off the surrounding clouds and can actually put out more energy in a given location than they would have on a cloudless day? That pretty neat and something i had never thought about but makes sense. Your into all the little nuances weather has to offer. I remember one day the temp dropped to below freezing at your location allowing some freezing drizzle to occur this past winter and you had a really informative reason why it had happened, I dont think it was evaporational cooling it was some other form I again had never heard of.

It usually happens in brief 3-5 minute spurts when there is Cu with strong vertical ascent present and the sun finds a way to peak through enough. But yeah...you're basically combining the direct solar radiation with the diffuse and it gets focused strongly on one location briefly. Now I'm not sure if the 1300+ readings on my pyranometer are correct, but they have occurred during the summer, about 2-3 times per year) since I got my station back in 2006. I think my record was a bit over 1500w/m^2 once.

I'll have to look back on posts to remember the FZDZ event. It's escaping me right now. :)

edit: maybe it was an event with temps too warm aloft to allow for nucleation? therefore we're unable to get ice crystals in the cloud to form snow flakes and we instead get drizzle falling onto < 32F surfaces?

Brian what is your soil temp?

max/min today was 60/57. This is the first time it hit 60F since last Friday.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had reports of hail in neighboring Limington but not so much as a sprinkle here. Pity. We could use the rain. However, what was once dense jungle that would do North Vietnam proud has been mowed to a kid-friendly length.

Front has pushed through here. Wind picked up and dews have plummeted. Don't know the temp as I'm sitting outside but it is almost too cool for shorts. My kitty cat says "hi", btw.

Finally saw the un, but had to go visit family in Topsham to do so - might've reached a muggy 70 there. I doubt the sun did more than peak (if that) at my place. Hit the TS about 3:30 a bit south of AUG. (They got hammered, with part of one downtown street becoming a sinkhole.) Had about 0.5" IMBY, and backtracking radar it appears we had two showers, one noon-1 PM and the other 2-3 PM (give or take 30-60 min, especially on the 1st one.)

GYX offers some warmth next week, but also some rain in every 12-hr period except tomorrow aft.

It usually happens in brief 3-5 minute spurts when there is Cu with strong vertical ascent present and the sun finds a way to peak through enough. But yeah...you're basically combining the direct solar radiation with the diffuse and it gets focused strongly on one location briefly. Now I'm not sure if the 1300+ readings on my pyranometer are correct, but they have occurred during the summer, about 2-3 times per year) since I got my station back in 2006. I think my record was a bit over 1500w/m^2 once.

I'll have to look back on posts to remember the FZDZ event. It's escaping me right now. :)

edit: maybe it was an event with temps too warm aloft to allow for nucleation? therefore we're unable to get ice crystals in the cloud to form snow flakes and we instead get drizzle falling onto < 32F surfaces?

My memory is a little fuzzy as well. I dont think it was a major event but not sure if that one was the one I was thinking about. In any event I appreciate the in depth analysis.

max/min today was 60/57. This is the first time it hit 60F since last Friday.

Ugghhh can't plant anything needing warm soil yet...think I'm gonna put down some black plastic and try to get the soil temp up.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think we cracked 50 today. I haven't looked at anything officail yet but my ever accurate truck thermometer never got above 48 at any point today and my bald head was very cold. In spring, this means its very chilly......

The warm front is between here and CON. 54.8F on the Davis and 62F at CON at 9z. Even the Canterbury RWIS near the Northfield line is almost 60F.

56 here so front not quite this far nw. I hope we manage some clearing altho the forecast for this afternoon has changed overnight from "partly sunny" in last evening's forecast to :"mostly cloudy" in the overnight forecast.

Today might do it if there was only 4" of depth yesterday evening... it has been a long time since there hasn't been any natural snow up there at the measuring stake. Now we settle in for June, July, August, and September which are historically the 4 snow-free months, though sometimes we can get lucky in September.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
1130 PM EDT MON MAY 23 2011

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD        T     59  45  49               0.0    4

2" of natural snow left at the snow stake as of 5pm today.

I can still see white on the mountain from my bedroom window, though that's from snowmaking and not natural snowfall. It will be a depressing day on the morning I wake up and can no longer see snow from my window.

Today was another mostly cloudy day with occasional sprinkles as moisture worked over the terrain in spurts. It was much warmer though, reaching the low 70s down in the village and upper 60s at the ski resort base.

I also saw my first black bear in Stowe today... it crossed RT 108 right in front of my SUV, so I stopped and watched it meander through the fields and into the forest. Really wish I had my camera with me. There's been a ton of bear reports around town this spring and the local paper has had pictures of bears in people's front yards and wandering past storefronts in town. Now I've finally seen what everyone around here has been talking about. Bears are cool, haha.

I can still see white on the mountain from my bedroom window, though that's from snowmaking and not natural snowfall. It will be a depressing day on the morning I wake up and can no longer see snow from my window.

Today was another mostly cloudy day with occasional sprinkles as moisture worked over the terrain in spurts. It was much warmer though, reaching the low 70s down in the village and upper 60s at the ski resort base.

I also saw my first black bear in Stowe today... it crossed RT 108 right in front of my SUV, so I stopped and watched it meander through the fields and into the forest. Really wish I had my camera with me. There's been a ton of bear reports around town this spring and the local paper has had pictures of bears in people's front yards and wandering past storefronts in town. Now I've finally seen what everyone around here has been talking about. Bears are cool, haha.

I have had bears on my front lawn on a Sunday afternoon (after I mowed thankfully)

They are pretty common here. Have seen them on my street 2 other times. Dog is curious about them

Only a few small puffs against the blue, very nice after eleven straight cloudy days, longest such stretch I can recall. (Disclosure: I did see some sun peeks both Sunday and yesterday, but a day which is 100% overcast for 95% of the daylight hours gets recorded - by me, anyway - as "cloudy", even when the other 5% is PC.)

Temp reached 72 IMBY, tops so far this year, and PWM had their first 70+ since early Oct, something like 220 days. Black flies loved it (and me, as I finally got something planted in the garden), and this morning I could smell the lilacs, though the first blossoms haven't really opened yet.

This is when upslope flow sucks... everyone else speaking of beautiful blue skies and I'm only getting very brief holes of blue in the cloud cover.

Morrisville-Stowe Airport ASOS had some CLR reports around 2-3am but has otherwise been cloudy. Straight OVC the past 5 hours.

Notice the upslope flow leaving clouds down the entire western slopes of the Greens with a sharp drying/clearing line just east of the spine. Also thick clouds banking up against the northern slopes of the Adirondacks and entire north/western slope of terrain in NH and ME. These should eventually burn off, I hope.

These clouds are a good indicator of where the upward vertical motion takes place on a NW flow and where downward motion takes place.

But I will say you guys down SE of here deserve it... you've had a much rougher go of it with the east wind during that cut-off. It wasn't pretty up here but we're far enough from the ocean that we were in the 50s most of the time you guys were in the 40s with "drizzle, heavy at times."

Archived