Newest Member
    joxey
Threat Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

It would be kind of amazing to think that given the Moderate/Strong Nina and the -NAO that this ends up hitting the Mid-Atl and not us. Swift kick in the balls for sure.

Well I did that to get a rise out of people, but remember...the MA had 4-6" of snow from the "clipper flipper" in 2007. Storms do go south of New England, but I wouldn't worry about suppression yet. Heck we gotta get a storm to appear on the models within 120hrs.

The potential storm progged around 12/9 looks to be when the NAO relaxes...following whatever happens on the 5th. While I agree it can be too much of a good thing sometimes, it is doing its job to prevent low pressure riding through Buffalo. With the continuous troughing that has happened and may continue to happen over the southwest, I'll take that block to our northeast. There will always be lows in the winter that move south of sne, during the winter.

It would also seem plausible that in this Nina year the trend will be nw and the block will not be as strong as modelled. I like where we are sitting. These things almost always trend nw with last year being the exception.

Well I did that to get a rise out of people, but remember...the MA had 4-6" of snow from the "clipper flipper" in 2007. Storms do go south of New England, but I wouldn't worry about suppression yet. Heck we gotta get a storm to appear on the models within 120hrs.

I don't worry about anything weather related. Roll with the dice.

And then you wonder why we get people wailing about the end of winter. tsk, tsk

I'm content with what we're shown. Storms in the vicinity at 200+ hours. Good 'nuff for this weenie.

That would be the first place to start... with all this discussion you'd think we'd have several threats, but the bottom line is we haven't seen anything remotely exciting come within 5 days so far. That would be the first step. Until then, it is like that other poster said... groundhog day over and over again. You think you are getting closer and then all the sudden its back to "well there's an interesting period on the EURO at 240 hours..."

That would be the first place to start... with all this discussion you'd think we'd have several threats, but the bottom line is we haven't seen anything remotely exciting come within 5 days so far. That would be the first step. Until then, it is like that other poster said... groundhog day over and over again. You think you are getting closer and then all the sudden its back to "well there's an interesting period on the EURO at 240 hours..."

Still Nov 28th....if we get past Dec 3rd or so with nothing exciting within medium range guidance, then I'd be a little more worried.

And then you wonder why we get people wailing about the end of winter. tsk, tsk

I'm content with what we're shown. Storms in the vicinity at 200+ hours. Good 'nuff for this weenie.

I feel pretty good that there will be a threat. That's all you can say, and that's how it should be treated. I do think there may be two chances, with the second chance around 12/9. Could the storm go out to sea? Sure, but honestly..just because some models show that at D8-9, I'm not concerned just yet. I do think the overall pattern supports something near the East Coast, but that's about it. We got a -nao, and potential split flow developing out west, which is usually an eyebrow raiser.

I feel pretty good that there will be a threat. That's all you can say, and that's how it should be treated. I do think there may be two chances, with the second chance around 12/9. Could the storm go out to sea? Sure, but honestly..just because some models show that at D8-9, I'm not concerned just yet. I do think the overall pattern supports something near the East Coast, but that's about it. We got a -nao, and potential split flow developing out west, which is usually an eyebrow raiser.

Well its a catch 22 with the bridge jumpers. If the models are suppressed, they cry about suppression, if they are west, cry about lake cutters, if they are a direct hit, they cry about being in the bullseye at 200 hours.

We pretty much just have to get a storm imminent.

Well its a catch 22 with the bridge jumpers. If the models are suppressed, they cry about suppression, if they are west, cry about lake cutters, if they are a direct hit, they cry about being in the bullseye at 200 hours.

It's the weenies will be suppressed in a few days and not the storm threats.

It really never ceases to amaze me how some people can take any situation and find something to b*tch about. I look out right now and see white and i KNOW more is on the way, sooner or later.

LOL, that's pretty much it right there.

What about your thoughts, do you feel the same way..more or less about 12/5 and beyond??

I do not think anyone really worries about snowstorms until they are imminent then they worry about, coastal fronts, where bands sets up, sleet contamination, dendrite growth, dry sluts, radars drying up and posts from Ryan from New London telling us the radar looks crappy on his iPhone. Seriously for 99% of us long term threats are great to watch but we are reality based.

Still Nov 28th....if we get past Dec 3rd or so with nothing exciting within medium range guidance, then I'd be a little more worried.

I have been forgetting this. I'll admit I want to jump right into winter. I reminded myself of this yesterday at the ski resort when I was getting worried that we are "behind schedule" for snowmaking by at least a week. Then I thought, it is still just Thanksgiving weekend and last year at this time we weren't even open (didn't open till Dec 7!!)... so when looking at it through that lens, I figure it could be a lot worse.

It is still only Thanksgiving weekend. Gotta keep telling myself that.

I have been forgetting this. I'll admit I want to jump right into winter. I reminded myself of this yesterday at the ski resort when I was getting worried that we are "behind schedule" for snowmaking by at least a week. Then I thought, it is still just Thanksgiving weekend and last year at this time we weren't even open (didn't open till Dec 7!!)... so when looking at it through that lens, I figure it could be a lot worse.

It is still only Thanksgiving weekend. Gotta keep telling myself that.

I reallly did laugh out loud at you, at this rate comment.

I do not think anyone really worries about snowstorms until they are imminent then they worry about, coastal fronts, where bands sets up, sleet contamination, dendrite growth, dry sluts, radars drying up and posts from Ryan from New London telling us the radar looks crappy on his iPhone. Seriously for 99% of us long term threats are great to watch but we are reality based.

That could not of been said any better and is so true..........

I reallly did laugh out loud at you, at this rate comment.

:lol: The ski resort business can get stressful at times when the weather doesn't want to cooperate.

It was funny yesterday when I walked into the ski shop near my house, it was snowing, and the woman who owns it came out to me and goes..."Look outside, look outside! There's money falling from the sky!"

That's how everyone looks at it around here. Snow and cold means business and business means money.

:lol: The ski resort business can get stressful at times when the weather doesn't want to cooperate.

It was funny yesterday when I walked into the ski shop near my house, it was snowing, and the woman who owns it came out to me and goes..."Look outside, look outside! There's money falling from the sky!"

That's how everyone looks at it around here. Snow and cold means business and business means money.

And its that way up here as well........... :snowman:

Never say never, considering we may be in a new -NAO/AO regime.

The only time we'd ever probably have to worry about suppression during a La Nina is when the AO/NAO are extremely negative as is the PNA which would really help to squash the SE ridge. As long as the SE ridge is in play though the -NAO/AO combo should really help us out.

Archived