49 members have voted

1. 1. Naso hot

• Any temperatures below average
    • 5 or more degrees below average
    • 10 or more degrees below average
    • Temps below 50, regardless of relationship to normal
    • Temps below 40, regardless of relationship to normal
    • Other (explain)

It greatly depends on the time of the year and what you're acclimated to at the time.

I agree. For example, my low of 30 degrees this morning felt very cold considering that is my 2nd lowest temperature this fall and we've been above average for most of the year, but it's barely 2-4 degrees below average. We've had Novembers where low temperatures were in the 20s plenty of times and even some 10s, in those Novembers a low of 30 degrees would've still been chilly, but not very cold since we would be used to considering 20s as "cold". In the summer, we can see temperatures well below average, but that would still be chilly, not really cold, as highs would generally be in the 60s and low temperatures usually won't get below 50 degrees, which would be considered very chilly in the summer, but would be considered mild in a cold winter.

The answer to the question is what I've had out here during the last several days:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA (WS FORM: F-6)

STATION:   ELKO NV
                                         MONTH:     NOVEMBER
                                         YEAR:      2010
                                         LATITUDE:   40 49 N                   
                                         LONGITUDE: 115 47 W                   

TEMPERATURE IN F:       :PCPN:    SNOW:  WIND      :SUNSHINE: SKY     :PK WND 
================================================================================
1   2   3   4   5  6A  6B    7    8   9   10  11  12  13   14  15   16   17  18
                                    12Z  AVG MX 2MIN
DY MAX MIN AVG DEP HDD CDD  WTR  SNW DPTH SPD SPD DIR MIN PSBL S-S WX    SPD DR
================================================================================
23  37  -5  16 -16  49   0 0.14  2.0    2 11.8 37 230   M    M   9 128    51 230
24  15  -9   3 -28  62   0    T    T    3  4.5 14 230   M    M   4 18     16 230
25  16 -14   1 -30  64   0 0.00  0.0    3  2.4  9  60   M    M   0 8      10  60
26  22  -3  10 -21  55   0 0.00  0.0    3  4.9  9  70   M    M   0        12  60

If you're strictly talking about cold, then for me, it would have to be any temperature below 20F or when the windchill drops to less than 20 degrees. If you're talking about relative cold, then it's definitely when the temperature is less than 10 degrees below normal except in the months of May, June, July, August, and September. If the temperatures are less than 10 degrees below normal in those months, than I would define it as being unseasonably cool or just much cooler than normal unless we see a freak cold wave in May or September where the average temperatures are 20 or more degrees colder than normal. For the other months of colder than 10 degrees below normal, then I consider it to be relatively cold compared to normal.

Archived