Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Remembering the blizzard of 2/9-10/2010

Fozz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing storm down there. Not a great memory for me. Worst bust I had last season (and most mets up here). Northern edge of precip shield just got sliced off despite a decent 5h setup. It got just crushed enough to really affect the northern 20% of the precip shield so it busted badly here. One of those storms that humbles you as a forecaster.

The depth of snow can sometimes be hard to gauge, but when it is right against something that you are very familiar with, it makes it so amazing. We have an open playing field right behind our house, and the wind just ripped across the field, up the 20' embankment, and right into our backyard. It was fantastic. Only wish we had more like the 20"+ of snow that N MD got, rather than my estimate of 9".

post-1746-0-45083700-1297302775.jpg

And a fun one from the inside of our screened in "patio" (former carport).

post-1746-0-75590500-1297302800.jpg

When the deform band came in, I often could not see anything but White outside the window. :snowman: Winds gusted to 62mph via vantagepro I thought it was a dream,

The driveway had No Snow on it at all, while the side of my house had a 6-7 foot drift...I've never seen that before. A true blizzard from my perspective

My second child was born at 2am, February 11, 2010. So you know what that means.

Around 2pm on the 10th, the wife informs me she has a nasty stomach bug. Lots of pain, lots of evacuation. She was three days short of her due date. One hour later, she informs me that it's time to go. The illness (or its symptoms) had triggered labor...and it was rapidly advancing. So we packed up, kissed our first kid goodbye, left instructions with my brother-in-law (who had agreed to get snowed in with us for this event and the 5th-6th storm, "just in case") and headed out into the blizzard.

Here's a video I took a little before we left:

Good times. On the plus side, we live close to the hospital -- Holy Cross in Silver Spring, MD. And the maternity ward was EMPTY, meaning we got plenty of attention. On the negative side: blizzard.

At any rate, they got her some fluids, her bug passed, and a nice controlled labor set in. She was born at around 2am...after the snow stopped.

The funniest thing was the aftermath at the hospital. Holy Cross has a massive, and very busy, maternity ward. But it was completely deserted on the 10th. At around 10am on the 11th, right when we were waking up, all those people who had stuck out the storm at their homes flooded the hospital. In fact, since it was our second and mom and baby were fine, and we lived so close, they straight up kicked us out after our pediatrician saw the baby on the evening of the 11th. We spent less than 24 hours at the hospital.

Great storm! A true blizzard, which I hadn't experienced in a long time. Got around 2" of snow plus some sleet and freezing rain on the night of Feb. 9. I admit to getting fooled, thinking that it might be a huge bust of a forecast by that point with the sleet and freezing rain and when things were apparently "breaking up". I then woke up the morning of the 10th, to howling winds and complete white-out conditions. I do believe when I looked outside and saw what was going on, I quite literally said "What the ....?!" Ended up with 12.0" from this event, though it was nearly impossible to measure accurately with all the wind and drifting. There were other reports close to that amount near where I live, so it's probably reasonable, though I would not be surprised if it was somewhat more. We had heavy snow more or less from early morning into mid-afternoon, then some lighter snow through the early evening.

Here's what greeted me, a couple of pictures taken just ouside my door:

post-1508-0-01884300-1297387854.jpg

post-1508-0-78818700-1297387866.jpg

• 11 months later...

What a storm... 24" here. Remember waking up to 8" here and reading reports of people switching over to snow, only a little sleet fell here. This was my favorite of the storms as the best conditions feel during the day, true whiteout. Couldn't see the second house down.

I only got about 8-9" out of this one, but I remember like it was yesterday watching the reports of the one band that swung in from the Leesburg area on that morning. I watched the radar, and as soon as that band was over me, I looked outside to a raging whiteout. Pretty amazing.

We just missed out on the banding that may have given us a few more inches during the day. I watched the radar hoping it would sag south, but it just never got around to it. While it was a little disappointing, I was just a wee bit happy with the 28" or so I'd gotten a few days earlier, so I wasn't going to complain.

Still one of my favorite pictures from last winter...this was just as the snow was "letting up"....there are houses across the street barely/not visible. Just some heavy heavy snow.

post-534-0-19215700-1297272907.jpg

That band was insane....I literally woke up thinking the snow was done because I went to bed a little let down only to see things really start cranking....I hadn't been up more than 10 minutes...I would have kicked myself if I had slept through that part of the storm....good times....

Archived