SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Remembering the blizzard of 2/9-10/2010

Fozz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only got about 8-9" out of this one, but I remember like it was yesterday watching the reports of the one band that swung in from the Leesburg area on that morning. I watched the radar, and as soon as that band was over me, I looked outside to a raging whiteout. Pretty amazing.

We just missed out on the banding that may have given us a few more inches during the day. I watched the radar hoping it would sag south, but it just never got around to it. While it was a little disappointing, I was just a wee bit happy with the 28" or so I'd gotten a few days earlier, so I wasn't going to complain.

That band was insane....I literally woke up thinking the snow was done because I went to bed a little let down only to see things really start cranking....I hadn't been up more than 10 minutes...I would have kicked myself if I had slept through that part of the storm....good times....

Where people started freaking out about the superband:

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/224228-dcmdvawv-obs-and-discussion-when-will-blizzard-warnings-be-hoisted/page__st__900

Classic Ji

OMG--GETTING CRUSHED HERE. I dont think the models had this LOL

when i get home i'll post some pics. I had 40" total for the 2 storms. But the one thing that really sticks out for me was the travel. I came to work on that Wednesday morning about 5 am. i was the only person who showed up. i decided i'd better get the hell home and left about 830ish. I only live about 5 miles from my work, but drive on I-81 to get home. That drive across the george wade bridge was nerve racking. it was zero visibilty. I told my wife when i got home, the state would soon be shutting down the highway and within a short time, they did just that. i was in my driveway and i could not see the flashing lights on the fire trucks across the street at the firehouse when they were pulling out for a call, thats how bad you could not see. Amazing!

post-1746-0-22379200-1328887269.gif

Awesome screen grab, MN.

It's pretty amazing that the difference between under 10" and over 20" wasn't all that great in terms of distance. When that band set up, it just crushed those that were under it. Amazing how it stuck around in almost the same spot nearly all day....almost within touching reach from here. I'm just glad I got to experience it for a bit

Awesome screen grab, MN.

It's pretty amazing that the difference between under 10" and over 20" wasn't all that great in terms of distance. When that band set up, it just crushed those that were under it. Amazing how it stuck around in almost the same spot nearly all day....almost within touching reach from here. I'm just glad I got to experience it for a bit

Miller B's tend to do that, unfortunately.

Unless you're in the sweet spot, I guess.

;)

Yeah, what I meant is that they can have a sharp gradient between, say, DC and Baltimore. My area got very lucky with this storm, but usually Miller B's screw the entire region since they don't really strengthen that much until they reach 40N or so.

Yeah, what I meant is that they can have a sharp gradient between, say, DC and Baltimore. My area got very lucky with this storm, but usually Miller B's screw the entire region since they don't really strengthen that much until they reach 40N or so.

Yeah...I hear ya. Miller B is generally a poison word around here, but '09-'10 was different gravy.

• 2 years later...

I know this is now an old thread which was "bumped", but I'll play along because it was such an amazing event!  Hard to believe it has now been 5 years.

Like many, I went to bed that Tuesday night (Feb. 9), thinking we may be in for a huge bust.  I had measured ~2" by late evening, and there was some light freezing drizzle and sleet falling.

Awoke the next morning (Feb. 10) around 7AM to wind rattling the building.  I looked outside and it was completely white.  It took my mind a couple of seconds to realize it was snow/whiteout and not fog or something.  Saw the blizzard warnings were up and the banding on radar.  Amazing day.  It snowed through late afternoon, occasionally very heavy, it was quite cold (I think it was in the low 20s) and true blizzard conditions with the winds.  Ended up with 12.0", though it was very difficult to measure.  Might have been more, who knows, but that's what I marked down (there was a report of 14" nearby, so mine was in the ballpark).

Of course I had to go out and get some photos.  This scene greeted me right after walking outside, as I huddled with the camera underneath an awning outside my apartment building:

post-1508-0-30842300-1423506766_thumb.jp

Shortly after, I got this shot down my street.  As I've probably mentioned before (and probably posted this same image), this is perhaps my favorite picture out of the hundreds I took that winter.  Seems to epitomize that storm in particular and the winter in general:

post-1508-0-35060100-1423506769_thumb.jp

We just moved back to the DC area from Thailand the Fall of 09 and into our new house first week of Dec.  After living in Thailand for a while (where it snows... like....  never!), the winter of 09/10 was the best welcome home present imaginable!  I had two Gravely walk behind tractors already and bought a used Kubota compact tractor about a week before the first big storm in Dec. 09.

Our driveway is 150 yds long, so everything got a workout during the blizzard.  The Kubota with front end loader and box blade on the back, one Gravely with a snowblower and the second Gravely with a plow.  What a blast!  I was exhausted at the end of the days of blowing, plowing and pushing the snow into big piles, but enjoyed every minute.  Many of our neighbors are retired.  So wanting to be a good neighbor I cleared many of their driveways so they could get out.  Great way to meet your neighbors, that's for sure. 

Been in heavier snows in Switzerland and Austria along with the Blizzard of 78 in Ohio with its 70+ mph winds.  What got me about this one was the duration of the event end to end, the dual hit, and the feeling of being home again in the good ole USA.  Measured 33" in our backyard out in the open in 6 different places.  Sure hope to have that feeling again sometime.

This is the evening when it started.  Plowed the first 5 inches that night to try to keep ahead of it (wishful thinking).

post-7173-0-66195800-1423536878_thumb.jp

The next morning looking out from our garage.  We were still unpacking from the move and it was not yet possible to put the vehicles in the garage.

post-7173-0-89525500-1423537063_thumb.jp

The cars that night after plowing the driveway and neighborhood.  Left the part of uncovering the cars till last.  Could get out the driveway, but the road in front of our house was still closed so we could not go anyplace anyway.

post-7173-0-45016900-1423537194_thumb.jp

The next morning after with the brilliant sunshine.

post-7173-0-75875500-1423537279_thumb.jp

Up part of our driveway.  The hill shown is only about 1/4 of our driveway.  Thankful for the tractors...

post-7173-0-31517000-1423537315_thumb.jp

I was definitely skeptical of it just since most miller b's are horrible here. I figured we'd get snow because it managed to snow at every good opportunity last year, but I definitely was close to bailing overnight as the changeover ended with a dry slot. I remember going to bed because I was frustrated with radar and then waking up and watching it explode.

Yea, that season was awesome for you guys.

This season is pretty much evolving into our version of that what that was down there.

In the grand scheme of things, though, we will never see anything as anomalous as what you guys enjoyed in that sequence.

Hopefully the Miller A next week works out for you guys....I still firmly believe that you will catch a break down there.

Sucks that the NAO/AO hasn't worked out this year...otherwise you guys would have been doing better.

Are Matt and Randy still making the trip up here this wknd?

I still can't figure out how NE got screwed on that one

just doesn't seem possible

they have a right to be pi$$ed about that one

It all evens out.

Not sure how we managed to score another 2' blizzard in the midst of the pattern"relaxation" the day after the SB a couple of weeks ago, either....but we did.

Only 6 days removed from the first blizzard.

Pattern is reloaded now.

You guys should join in this time.

It all evens out.

Not sure how we managed to score another 2' blizzard in the midst of the pattern"relaxation" the day after the SB a couple of weeks ago, either....but we did.

Only 6 days removed from the first blizzard.

Pattern is reloaded now.

You guys should join in this time.

I hope we do, Benchmark, but I hope you guys get a total amount of snow on Mass and in the New England region in general that is worthy of 1717. Enjoy it, and stay very safe! Please get the snow off your roofs as soon as you can, it is only going to build up.

I hope we do, Benchmark, but I hope you guys get a total amount of snow on Mass and in the New England region in general that is worthy of 1717. Enjoy it, and stay very safe! Please get the snow off your roofs as soon as you can, it is only going to build up.

I just cleared it today before this event lol

Archived