Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ask a Pro Met

am19psu

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What graduate school would most likely let me in with a low GPA (2.7) from OU meteorology (A's and B's senior year, but not sophomore year)? Is this even reachable? Thank you.

OU - I'm assuming you're talking about University of Oklahoma? Honestly, that really depends on quite a bit. I'd suggest you try looking locally first. Is there something prohibiting you from the Grad program at OU? That would seem like the best bet and you'd get the full mileage out of your recommendations. 

I'd simply suggest 'Apply Apply Apply' and in the mean time, try to find an internship, write an extensive daily blog. Anything to show you're active and 'working' in the field.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Don.   I'm trying to determine if theta-e can correlate with convective snow banding.

Theta-e can help identify the development of a trough of warm air aloft, which can be associated with heavy banded snowfall.

A nice slide presentation that discusses the topic, in part can be found at:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crh.noaa.gov%2Flsx%2Fscience%2Fpdfppt%2Fheavysnow2.ppt&ei=g2vFUtCvEMq4kQe8qIF4&usg=AFQjCNEtv_Adj5FiOySOSYKm_Je9X-ySng

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to write the thickness equation in matlab. I need to get better acquainted with programming, and I am waiting until the release of matlab for dummies in April, but I would like to get a head start.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Global Monthly Average Temperatures (+other climate/meteorological data)

Hi there, 

Please excuse of this question is a bit off-topic. 

We are a small iPhone/iPad app developer that works hard to have the best weather app (Beautiful Weather) out there and to improve it 

To be able to tell our users stuff like if tomorrow is a warm or cold day, we need to get ahold of the average monthly temperature at our users coordinates. While there are quite a few databases of locations with those data, none of them offers real worldwide coverage (e.g. a global dataset). 

As we only need rough estimates, we became aware that there all kinds of maps covering global average temperatures (and other data) including from the Nasa. However, again we can’t seem to find the monthly maps we would need. 

If you read this and think you can help, please reply. As we are not experts in that field we would be very happy to get some help us with this crucial information and of course will pay you for your time. 

Regards from Cape Town, 

Thorsten Rauser

The Beautiful Weather Corporation
1000 East William Street, Suite 204, Carson City, NV 89701
66 Albert Road, Cape Town 7925, South Africa

Global Monthly Average Temperatures (+other climate/meteorological data)

Hi there, 

Please excuse of this question is a bit off-topic. 

We are a small iPhone/iPad app developer that works hard to have the best weather app (Beautiful Weather) out there and to improve it 

To be able to tell our users stuff like if tomorrow is a warm or cold day, we need to get ahold of the average monthly temperature at our users coordinates. While there are quite a few databases of locations with those data, none of them offers real worldwide coverage (e.g. a global dataset). 

As we only need rough estimates, we became aware that there all kinds of maps covering global average temperatures (and other data) including from the Nasa. However, again we can’t seem to find the monthly maps we would need. 

If you read this and think you can help, please reply. As we are not experts in that field we would be very happy to get some help us with this crucial information and of course will pay you for your time. 

Regards from Cape Town, 

Thorsten Rauser

The Beautiful Weather Corporation
1000 East William Street, Suite 204, Carson City, NV 89701
66 Albert Road, Cape Town 7925, South Africa

The NOAA/ESRL site has global average surface temperatures (along with other surface fields) on a 2.5 degree grid from the NCEP/NCAR reanalysis.They have both monthly and daily averages.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.ncep.reanalysis.derived.surface.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really suited for the outbreak thread I guess, but I would love to read any commentary or analysis about this y'all might be willing to share:

btw, one other note in western georgia. we just had something fairly rare happen. not only did a left-mover of a splitting storm survive, but it strenghtened to the point where it re-split to the north a 3rd cell. last I knew, that's really not supposed to happen often with the left-split on the storm.

Archived