• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

im a 2nd yr golfer to. I have broken a 100 probably 5 or 6 times with my lowest being a a 94 or 95 at turtle creek. I played skippack last wekeend and shot a 105, which was alright for the 2nd time golfing this year.

That isn;t bad at all, honestly. Might have to go there. Im sure it will bump up once into april, they are still in winter mode probably. If i don't do public course, i just play the course i work at for free scooter.gif

That's awesome. Im gonna take a few lessons this year, maybe that will get me to my goal. End of last year I was averaging 104-107. Then went and got my new clubs end of season ( Taylor mades compared to my maxfli beginner set I began with and used all summer). Awesome game to learn though. April 1st they go to full rates. So in trying to get in as much practice I can before I cut back to once a week. You guys public or private?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

either that or they ground up the stump and just threw soil over top of the mulch chips

If that's the case, how long until the situation corrected itself naturally, meaning, until all the organic material has decayed?

That's awesome. Im gonna take a few lessons this year, maybe that will get me to my goal. End of last year I was averaging 104-107. Then went and got my new clubs end of season ( Taylor mades compared to my maxfli beginner set I began with and used all summer). Awesome game to learn though. April 1st they go to full rates. So in trying to get in as much practice I can before I cut back to once a week. You guys public or private?

private.

If that's the case, how long until the situation corrected itself naturally, meaning, until all the organic material has decayed?

o lord, im not positive on this. Certain things would have to be determined like how much moisture gets into that area, size of the chips, sun light or shady location (sunnier, means warmer faster, faster microbe activity. Opposite affect for shadier spots) My guess would be 5-8 yrs, just a guess. Why?

Scotts lawn service was going door to door today looking for sales.

That's got to be a tough sell with the economy, the drought fresh in peoples mind from last summer which did alot of damage, along with a few other factors. Alot of elderly people in my neighborhood pay for service but don't even water their lawn during the heart of summer. The lawns burn away, as does their money. Its a shame really.

it also doesn't help is that they hire guys with real;y no experience. Those places are all about getting the product out as fast as possible and getting off the property as fast as possible to move onto the next job. They over nuke the lawns in the spring with fertilizer, which makes the lawn go into dormancy quicker and has a higher chance of dying in summer heat.

it also doesn't help is that they hire guys with real;y no experience. Those places are all about getting the product out as fast as possible and getting off the property as fast as possible to move onto the next job. They over nuke the lawns in the spring with fertilizer, which makes the lawn go into dormancy quicker and has a higher chance of dying in summer heat.

Yeah, I'm amazed that some people on my block buy into the service. Not one house has inground sprinklers. Makes no sense to me. You really need amazing dedication year-round to have a green, weed free yard. The people paying for these services are the last ones I'd expect to sign up.

o lord, im not positive on this. Certain things would have to be determined like how much moisture gets into that area, size of the chips, sun light or shady location (sunnier, means warmer faster, faster microbe activity. Opposite affect for shadier spots) My guess would be 5-8 yrs, just a guess. Why?

I have a wooded lot and the previous owner had let the yard get overgrown. Actually, there was no backyard, the trees came right up to the house. Their kids jungle gym had briars growing around it (the kids still used it). It's been a challenge to rehab it. I removed about 15 stumps where he just cut or had the tree cut down. Long story but not all the stumps were entirely removed and there's an occasional outbreak of mushrooms, usually late summer and fall. I still have a lot of work to do in other areas of the landscape and wouldn't want to go through an extensive rehab to take care of the situation if it would be alleviated on it's own in the next few years.

Great to see this thread picking up again...

I need a little advise... About 3 years ago, we renovated the house and had an addition put in. The back yard used to be wooded, but we carved out about a 1000 sq ft space for a yard. We took down trees and shrubs and landscaped the area. The land was very clay based, so the landscapers added sand and top soil. Sod was then put down for the lawn. So now my problem. This past year, the grass looked and felt very thin. It's not lush like it first was 3 years ago. I have always thatched, aerated, fertilized and overseeded (spring and fall) yearly. Is there anything else I can do to get the lawn nice and lush again? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Great to see this thread picking up again...

I need a little advise... About 3 years ago, we renovated the house and had an addition put in. The back yard used to be wooded, but we carved out about a 1000 sq ft space for a yard. We took down trees and shrubs and landscaped the area. The land was very clay based, so the landscapers added sand and top soil. Sod was then put down for the lawn. So now my problem. This past year, the grass looked and felt very thin. It's not lush like it first was 3 years ago. I have always thatched, aerated, fertilized and overseeded (spring and fall) yearly. Is there anything else I can do to get the lawn nice and lush again? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well adding the sand to the clay soil, wasn't the best thing to do. Yes sand is good with drainage, but when you add it to clay and mix it actually can clog the pore space up of the soil basically sealing off the soil allowing no oxygen into the root system of the plants and water drainage. Do you have a picture of the area an what type of sun exposure do you get? Also, i would take a soil sample to see what your CEC is like and your pH is. There could be issues there that a soil test could solve.

Well adding the sand to the clay soil, wasn't the best thing to do. Yes sand is good with drainage, but when you add it to clay and mix it actually can clog the pore space up of the soil basically sealing off the soil allowing no oxygen into the root system of the plants and water drainage. Do you have a picture of the area an what type of sun exposure do you get? Also, i would take a soil sample to see what your CEC is like and your pH is. There could be issues there that a soil test could solve.

That explains a lot. Thanks. What is CEC? Ph test was taken late last year. Soil is slightly acidic (5-5-6.0). They didn't think it was a problem. My blueberry bushes and raspberry bushes are doing very well and I think it's due to the slight acidity. Sun exposure is lower than my front yard (which is doing great BTW) due to shade from the trees. What I'm baffled by is how great the lawn was doing the first 2 years and then all of the sudden it thinned out the way it did. It doesn't look disease ridden or anything, just very thin (very much like a run down town baseball field). I know the drought and water restrictions hampered things last year, but I had a few rain barrels that lasted me 2-3 weeks and held me over. The lawn never browned out last year.

I will be working in the yard this weekend and I'll try to take some pictures. Thanks again for the advise.

That explains a lot. Thanks. What is CEC? Ph test was taken late last year. Soil is slightly acidic (5-5-6.0). They didn't think it was a problem. My blueberry bushes and raspberry bushes are doing very well and I think it's due to the slight acidity. Sun exposure is lower than my front yard (which is doing great BTW) due to shade from the trees. What I'm baffled by is how great the lawn was doing the first 2 years and then all of the sudden it thinned out the way it did. It doesn't look disease ridden or anything, just very thin (very much like a run down town baseball field). I know the drought and water restrictions hampered things last year, but I had a few rain barrels that lasted me 2-3 weeks and held me over. The lawn never browned out last year.

I will be working in the yard this weekend and I'll try to take some pictures. Thanks again for the advise.

Well last year had a lot of exceptions with the heat. It could of been disease issues it could of been drought damage. It could of been the wrong type of grass for that kind of heat. Pictures are the best to see what is going on possibly.

CEC, is cation exchange capacity. Basically it measures the cations stuck to the soil colloid. The soil colloid is a negative charge which attract other particles in the soil that are positively charged like calcium, magnesium,and potassium. Sand based soils have a low CEC and clay based soils have a higher CEC. When you have a higher CEC it helps with uptake of fertilizer better so less is leached. The more spaces available on the soil colloid the more efficient the roots can uptake the fertilizer. For instance, when you apply ammonium fertilzer which has a positive charge it gets exchanged onto the negative soil colloid which can be absorbed by the roots of the plant

I had a wicked case of red thread or brown patch in my yard last year and I'm pretty sure I see it coming back already. How do I get rid of that stuff? I think I need an anti-fungal application or something.

God I hope that red thread in my yard does not come back. Totally ruined the lawn.

I had a wicked case of red thread or brown patch in my yard last year and I'm pretty sure I see it coming back already. How do I get rid of that stuff? I think I need an anti-fungal application or something.

Brown patch isnt active right now, Red thread is. Its a low nitrogen disease. Do you fertilize regularly? Red thread shouldn't totally kill a whole lawn its just spots, but once it starts growing, it should grow out of it. You can try fungicides, you could introduces different grass species that aren't as susceptible. Feed your lawn, but not over feed it

Then its definitely red thread because its active. Produces like 6" or bigger diameter spots where the grasses browns up and dies. I do fertilize regularly and it doesn't seem to help unfortunately. Last year the red thread decimated my lawn even after repeated fertilization. What types of grass are less susceptible to it?

Brown patch isnt active right now, Red thread is. Its a low nitrogen disease. Do you fertilize regularly? Red thread shouldn't totally kill a whole lawn its just spots, but once it starts growing, it should grow out of it. You can try fungicides, you could introduces different grass species that aren't as susceptible. Feed your lawn, but not over feed it

Then its definitely red thread because its active. Produces like 6" or bigger diameter spots where the grasses browns up and dies. I do fertilize regularly and it doesn't seem to help unfortunately. Last year the red thread decimated my lawn even after repeated fertilization. What types of grass are less susceptible to it?

take a picture of it. If its red thread there should be like red mycellium in the morning during a dew or after a night rainfall. It also could be michrodcium patch.

does it look like this

redthread0298.jpg

Sort of looks like that but there is a definitive bordered shape...mostly circular.....and on the inside the browned grass is total. This picture looks like there is still some greener grass in that patch......in my patch it all goes brown and dies.

does it look like this

redthread0298.jpg

Sort of looks like that but there is a definitive bordered shape...mostly circular.....and on the inside the browned grass is total. This picture looks like there is still some greener grass in that patch......in my patch it all goes brown and dies.

then you dont have red thread then. It sounds like you have snow mold/ michrodochium patch. Does it look like this? Like the leaves matted down in circular pattern? Lawns grow out of red thread, unless its a big time severe outbreak which i doubt it is, since you fertilize.

3812254757_66c8671646.jpg

Would the snow mold continue on throughout the year lasting into October? Last year it just continued on and on and anihilated my lawn.

then you dont have red thread then. It sounds like you have snow mold/ michrodochium patch. Does it look like this? Like the leaves matted down in circular pattern? Lawns grow out of red thread, unless its a big time severe outbreak which i doubt it is, since you fertilize.

3812254757_66c8671646.jpg

Archived