• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 5-6 2010 - Snowmageddon

Ian

Actually, we had a pretty -NAO in '10-11 and the winter still sucked.  

Only index that matters for us is TPCS.  In its semi-decadal relaxation period we have a chance to score.

Yes it was, and I actually did ok over here that winter. Had 19" or so which is about climo avg here. I got some decent scraps on the western edge of the Boxing Day storm, 5" or a bit better.

Yes it was, and I actually did ok over here that winter. Had 19" or so which is about climo avg here. I got some decent scraps on the western edge of the Boxing Day storm, 5" or a bit better.

I didn't get anywhere close to 19".  We had 2" in mid Dec. and 7" on Jan. 26.  Other than that I don't remember a single significant event.  Got some light snow either Christmas Eve or early Christmas morning and some flurries from the boxing day fiasco.  Got lots of cold wind that winter, though.  I'd like to have punted that winter clear into orbit.... much like this one.

I didn't get anywhere close to 19".  We had 2" in mid Dec. and 7" on Jan. 26.  Other than that I don't remember a single significant event.  Got some light snow either Christmas Eve or early Christmas morning and some flurries from the boxing day fiasco.  Got lots of cold wind that winter, though.  I'd like to have punted that winter clear into orbit.... much like this one.

lol yeah... but much worse was yet to follow. I cant recall all the individual events, I would have to go back and dig. But inland areas of the MA got jobbed for sure. Here it was cold with pretty average snowfall. The Boxing day storm was disappointing even tho I did get some decent snow, but literally a 10 minute drive east and there was a foot, and coastal DE had 15".

This is how my weenie mind views the long range: were in record territory for consecutive months without an El Nino. The longer we go without an official one, the stronger the snap back is gonna be... mean reversion and all that. We'll get a super west-based Nino just in time for the 2016-17 winter... and you all know the new 7-year HECS cycle. :)

lol yeah... but much worse was yet to follow. I cant recall all the individual events, I would have to go back and dig. But inland areas of the MA got jobbed for sure. Here it was cold with pretty average snowfall. The Boxing day storm was disappointing even tho I did get some decent snow, but literally a 10 minute drive east and there was a foot, and coastal DE had 15".

Ended up with 19.5 here for that winter, but 12.6 of that fell in Dec, just a couple little one's and two's after Jan 1.

• 11 months later...

2009-2010 was my fav winter. There are individual events in other winters I liked better than any one of the 3 biggies of that winter, but there was just something magical about it. And getting the big storm before Xmas was something I had never experienced. That was awesome, and just gave me the feeling we were on to something special. Also, the late Jan storm was awesome- 15 degrees and 7" of pure fluff, and the Feb 5th event was already on the radar. Great winter.

My rankings since moving to Herndon in 1995:

Feb 5-6 2010

January 1996

January 2016

PDII

December 2009

I'm just curious about how you decided on these rankings, because I also am able to rank all of these storms in a western suburb of DC. Was 2/5-6/10 and 1/96 being ranked higher than 1/16 partly because of what happened after the storm's end? 

I've said elsewhere that I can't separate the second 2/10 storm from the first one in terms of how the experience went overall, and the same goes with the whole 1/6/96 to 1/12/96 period. So of course those would be better winter weather weeks than the week of 1/16. But if I had to pick which one was the best in isolation, every indicator for 1/16 (total snow, winds, drifts) was just a bit better than 1/96. 2/5-6/10 still had the greatest impact of any storm I've lived through because of the 30-hr power outage in addition to being stuck.  

I'm just curious about how you decided on these rankings, because I also am able to rank all of these storms in a western suburb of DC. Was 2/5-6/10 and 1/96 being ranked higher than 1/16 partly because of what happened after the storm's end? 

I've said elsewhere that I can't separate the second 2/10 storm from the first one in terms of how the experience went overall, and the same goes with the whole 1/6/96 to 1/12/96 period. So of course those would be better winter weather weeks than the week of 1/16. But if I had to pick which one was the best in isolation, every indicator for 1/16 (total snow, winds, drifts) was just a bit better than 1/96. 2/5-6/10 still had the greatest impact of any storm I've lived through because of the 30-hr power outage in addition to being stuck.  

Feb 5-6 2010 -- Most snow ever received from one storm 30", power out 30 hours, the cold and then follow up storm that dropped another foot of snow on top of the 30" from few days later.

January 1996 -- 28" of snow and what made this storm special was the wind on Sunday creating 6-9' drifts. It was 8 days after the storm before our street was plowed and not even 4WD vehicles were able to get in or out of neighbor.

January 2016 -- 25" of snow, but drifts were less, 3-5', than the 1996 blizzard here. One lane of our road was plowed by Monday morning and then the melt come on much faster than either storm above.

I agree with you. Jan 2016 was the single best "main event" since at least 1922. Feb 2010 and Jan 1996 will always be ranked higher tho because the aftermath was so much better.

For me id say

Feb 5/6, 2010

PD2

December 2009/January 1996

January 25,2000

January 2016

Thank God somebody included 1/25/00. I could see where the Dc folks might leave it off their list, but that was a great storm for those of us us along the western shores of the Bay. And the lead up to it continues to make every weenie on this Board old enoigh to remember it keep false hopes alive for any storm along the se coast progged ots.

• 1 year later...

For me in my short lifespan:

Feb 2010 (Was young at the time, but I remember a ton of it)

Jan 2016 (Lame aftermath, but the storm itself was magical)

Dec 2009 (Probably will never be topped for the month of December)

Feb 2014 (Got a dog the month before, and we had to shovel a path for her to use the bathroom outside. Kind of lame aftermath)

Jan 2011 (Paste bomb in January. What else can you ask for?)

March 2015 (Perfect end to that season)

• 3 years later...