• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 5-6 2010 - Snowmageddon

Ian

Here's my easern tread leading up to the storm. I doubt we'll ever see another stretch comparable to Jan 31 thru Feb 11

http://www.easternus...ounts-verified/

Hi Wes...yes, I remember your posts back then, it was quite an exciting time! Has it really been 2 whole years now??

I think you're right, in our lifetime we'll probably never see something comparable to that 12 day period from end of January into mid-February. It was truly remarkable. I say this as someone who experienced some of the worst winters (or best, depending on your point of view!) in northeast Ohio. Looking back, I don't think I can recall such a time period there with that kind of snow, with the possible exception of a big lake effect event.

Of course, I'm sure we'll see another "big event" at some point, just not so much in such a concentrated amount of time.

I'm glad I've got a lot of photos and notes from 2009-10. It's just too bad that this year, I haven't had much opportunity to give the new camera I got for Christmas a good workout on snow photography (and it's supposed to be better in low-light night shots, something I couldn't get very well with the old one a couple of years ago)!

Here's my eastern tread leading up to the storm. I doubt we'll ever see another stretch comparable to Jan 31 thru Feb 11

I love going back and reading the old Eastern threads. It lacks something with all of the hotlinked images missing, but the raw excitement is fantastic.

I love going back and reading the old Eastern threads. It lacks something with all of the hotlinked images missing, but the raw excitement is fantastic.

I have some of the images from then though I think I've blown some of them away. It is fun reading the threads. I looked for the Dec 19th thread but couldn't find it. That was an exciting period when we all got along well because optimism and weenism ruled.

Here's my eastern tread leading up to the storm. I doubt we'll ever see another stretch comparable to Jan 31 thru Feb 11

Great memories, Wes. You certainly were all over that threat. It's funny, though, reading through that tread how the usual fears----suppression vs change-over were popping up 5-6 days prior to a prolific all snow event.

MDstorm

Great memories, Wes. You certainly were all over that threat. It's funny, though, reading through that tread how the usual fears----suppression vs change-over were popping up 5-6 days prior to a prolific all snow event.

MDstorm

But by 9:00 Am Feb 2nd the models were getting pretty adament except for a rogue run or two of the nam. On the second I wrote.

"I talked to my friend Rich Grumm and he noted that the ensembles were showing an 90% chance of a foot of snow over my house" Ensemble systems often do not have enough spread but from that point on the ens system was emphatic about getting a major snowstorm. That's really rare.

Don't worry, we'll get another one of these when El Nino and blocking return....

What I really want is a NESIS 5 blizzard. Gotta see of of those one day. And I seriously hope to see DC (probably not, given the way they measure) BWI-PHL-NYC-BOS break their snow records in the same blizzard. That would be something. It would look something like this:

BWI: 31"

PHL: 34"

NYC: 30"

BOS: 32".

If you can get past the cheesy soundtrack, this video chronicles the storm from start to finish. My favorite part is between 1:05 and 1:45. So beautiful!

Cute! At first I found the soundtrack annoying, but I actually grew fond of it...it was kind of peaceful. Back then, I laughed off a 6" inch storm threat. Now, I'd give away my dog for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...