• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Groundhog Day Storm Thread

dryslot

Would love to ride to a NNE GTG. I've always wanted to ride in Maine. BTW, there is practically a Vermonter colony in the Rangely area, or at least I know a lot of guys you go up there to hunt.

I'll bet they drive through Canada to get there and back.

Check out ME Mr Eaves. Two-lanes w/a center median riding and.... no speed limit other than one's own prudence.

That's how we selectively breed our future snowmobilers up here.

Vim Toot!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, No, But when they do, I will attend the next one, Let me know if you here when it is, I usually talk to both Sarah and Charlie, Roger G from WMTW 8 is on here from time to time as Frostman as i e-mail him as well and a couple of others..

Edit: We need to do a NNE GTG here at some point, Maybe in Portland some where..

I didn't know Griswold was a member here. Cool! I work in the same building, have seen him in the parking garage. Didn't ask for his autograph as it looked like he was in a hurry to get to the office.

Anyway, picked up another 0.1" with this dust falling. 8.1 for the storm, 11.2 combined

I am all in for that, But i'm sure there are quite a few here that do not have one.

That's me; my only recreational "vehicle" is a 40-yr old plastic canoe my dad built from a kit. Kinda heavy, but it keeps the water on the convex side.

I'd say YBY is close to the geographical center of Maine posters and not that far from most in NH (though there's probably preferable places in PWM.) Would need to schedule it for when Vim Toot is commuting, though, so he can stop in on the way by.

Still -SN snow grains. Bread's out of the oven, so it's probably time to fire up the snowblower.

Welcome, WeatherEmperor. Lots of Vermonters here. I am not one. :lol:

Thanks MaineJayhawk! I used to be a NYC'er, just moved here in 2010. Love snow, haven't gotten enough up here this season, at least not all at once. This has def been the best storm of the season on an aggregate basis, at least the best one for which I've been present.

Snow 4 life!

I didn't know Griswold was a member here. Cool! I work in the same building, have seen him in the parking garage. Didn't ask for his autograph as it looked like he was in a hurry to get to the office.

Anyway, picked up another 0.1" with this dust falling. 8.1 for the storm, 11.2 combined

Yeah, He was on a few times a couple of months ago, He seems to be a decent guy, I have not met him personally, We have -SN still falling here, I will have to go back out for another measurment before the 6 pm news

Wow, downtown Burlington Vermont got absolutely destroyed for about 30-45 minutes about an hour or so ago. Unbelievable snowfall rates, we must have picked up at least 1-2" just in that snowfall, it was like a whiteout.

Yeah! I didn't see a radar to see what happened but we just got crushed in Stowe. My folks just got to town and we were at a place down in the village and I picked up over an inch on my car in the half hour we were inside.

That might have been the heaviest snowfall of the storm so far... close to whiteout and massive flakes. We probably picked up a quick 1.5" in about 45 minutes... now back to just light snow.

Waiting for ski patrol to call to get our 4-4:30pm snowfall numbers off the boards.

Yeah, He was on a few times a couple of months ago, He seems to be a decent guy, I have not met him personally, We have -SN still falling here, I will have to go back out for another measurment before the 6 pm news

I think I remember him, a met from maybe Yarmouth who worked in Portland. He hasn't posted since then. I wonder if he lurks. Roger ... we love you! Let's have lunch.

Snowpack is a healthy 26" now, so this winter is getting bumped to a B-. Last five weeks have kicked azz.

Event totals: 9.8” Snow/0.94” L.E.

Wednesday 2/2/2011 4:00 P.M. update: In Burlington early this morning it was snowing steadily with at least moderate intensity. The intensity of the snowfall dropped during the middle of the day, but boy did it come on in the mid afternoon. I was leaving work around 3:00 P.M. and huge flakes up to 1 inch in diameter were pounding down. The rate of snowfall had to be over an inch an hour, and visibility was below ¼ mile. It clearly hadn’t been snowing that hard for too long, since I found only about 4.5 inches of snow on my car, which represented the 8-hour accumulation from 7:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Driving was fine on I-89, and even on Route 2 since the plows were able to keep up with the snowfall – aside from the heavy stuff that was going on when I left Burlington, snowfall was light to moderate at most. At the house I cleared the snowboard after finding 5.5 inches of new snow on it; that was the 10-hour accumulation since 6:00 A.M. It was again fairly dense snow (10.5% H2O) as I’d found this morning, with a hefty 0.58 inches of liquid in it. There was also a neat layer of graupel down near the bottom, with some fairly large balls up to 4 or 5 mm in diameter.

Some details from the 4:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 5.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.58 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.5

Snow Density: 10.5% H2O

Temperature: 20.8 F

Sky: Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 24.5 inches

Small patch near me that's blossoming and headed your way. I guess this is the dessert that is in the subtitle.

lol, Looks like we have some more on the way, Went out and took another measurement, Picked another 0.5", 9.0" for today, I am going to make my 10" yet...... :thumbsup:

Archived