• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

After this storm, I hope you guys give an A grade for the winter. These type of snowfall and storms don't happen very often. Enjoy it.

After how crappy the start was, this was well worth it! It was 73 degrees on Saturday..... and today...18" of snow measured at 2:37 but it still snowed for a few hours after that and we may have received 19-20". The most we've ever had is 22.5" and that was 100 or so years ago. (according to Joplinmet)

The storm had thundersnow (just heard 2 claps of thunder) a lot of snow, and it ended with big flake size. I wasn't too thrilled at the 'blizzard' portion though as it just blew the snow all around and I like being able to go outside and experience the calmness and quiet that occurs during the storm.

I fed some birds some bird food because I was afraid they'd die since the ground is covered with almost 2 feet of snow. They just chilled here all day at the feeder.

birdsk.jpg

Drifting over the neighbors cars:

snowcovered.jpg

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiny sandblasting flake size. Once the deformation zone got going, flake size increased somewhat to decent size. Nothing half dollar sized or quarter sized even.

honestly, my experience in 'cold storms' with wind is that the flake size is always tiny, but extremely efficient at stacking up leading to always surprising totals.

just my 2 cents.

I don't know how the heck you can measure snow in this. All it does is blow away in this wind tunnel.. Airport will have a huge challenge and come in with the lowest total as always when there is wind. I'm not even going to bother trying to measure.. Maybe in the back yard where its more sheltered but even that is prone to wind also... and this is not your avg storm wind. Maybe when the heavies make it up it can accumulate before it blows away but I doubt it.

Can only maybe go by flake size and intensity and make an hourly snowfall rate guess? I have no clue.

After how crappy the start was, this was well worth it! It was 73 degrees on Saturday..... and today...18" of snow measured at 2:37 but it still snowed for a few hours after that and we may have received 19-20". The most we've ever had is 22.5" and that was 100 or so years ago. (according to Joplinmet)

The storm had thundersnow (just heard 2 claps of thunder) a lot of snow, and it ended with big flake size. I wasn't too thrilled at the 'blizzard' portion though as it just blew the snow all around and I like being able to go outside and experience the calmness and quiet that occurs during the storm.

I fed some birds some bird food because I was afraid they'd die since the ground is covered with almost 2 feet of snow. They just chilled here all day at the feeder.

birdsk.jpg

Drifting over the neighbors cars:

snowcovered.jpg

I bet you wish the snow was over that fence without drifting. Now that would be impressive. Reality isn't so generous though I guess.

It was Thundersleet.. My wife was like did you see flash? I was like yeah, and there's the thunder.. :lol:

I will have to take this back.. Just found out what it was.. Three power poles down just two streets over.. So, it was the flash from the transformers blowing, and the thunder was from the poles crashing to the ground and some trees going down also..

Booo.

Just kidding. But yikes to the transformer deal.

I'll never see conditions like this again, at least not in chicago.

I have already never seen anything like this. Brownouts are starting. I literally can't see the fence 60 feet away. House is sounding like it's going to give up any minute. I don't remember wind like this in 99.

It was Thundersleet.. My wife was like did you see flash? I was like yeah, and there's the thunder.. :lol:

I will have to take this back.. Just found out what it was.. Three power poles came down just two streets over.. So, it was the flash from the transformers blowing, and the thunder was from the poles and trees crashing to the ground..

Okay we will try this again....what time do you think convective potential will increase at DTW? I have been busy with the obs so haven't had time to check.

Probably 04-5z based on the way this is moving and the best mid level height falls per latest NAM except ticked ahead a little since it is a bit slow.

I'd kill to be down in the Fairfield to Iowa City region right now. Radar shows an enhanced band of very heavy snow sitting over those locations. That's the band I was hoping would make it up here, but it is not going to. It looks to be setting up sw to ne between CR and the QC. I guess I'll just have to settle for heavy snow rather than very heavy snow.

I guess I was was referring more to the "glad you're seeing sleet" part. You know, instead of freezing rain? :)

I do remember there being a lot of sleet with Feb 2007 down there. We were on the good side of things here in LAF with that storm...not so much this time.

Yeah I knew what you meant, but my mind was wandering at the time while listening to the wind and sleet. :)

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

737 PM EST TUE FEB 01 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0729 PM ICE STORM TERRE HAUTE 39.47N 87.38W

02/01/2011 VIGO IN TRAINED SPOTTER

NUMEROUS TRANSFORMERS ARE GOING DOWN AND FREEZING RAIN IS

OCCURRING.

Archived