SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked a sleet storm back when I was at Louisville over a decade ago. The Valentine's Day storm of 2007 had a decent amount of sleet here if I recall correctly.

I guess I was was referring more to the "glad you're seeing sleet" part. You know, instead of freezing rain? :)

I do remember there being a lot of sleet with Feb 2007 down there. We were on the good side of things here in LAF with that storm...not so much this time.

I don't know if Jomo said anything about flake size but I'd be curious to know what it was out there since he got 18"

Tiny sandblasting flake size. Once the deformation zone got going, flake size increased somewhat to decent size. Nothing half dollar sized or quarter sized even.

I was 9 yo living in Ft Wayne for the '78 blizzard, which I believe set my love for weather and forecasting/obs....climbing on our roof from drifts. In fact, a "weather kit" for Christmas beforehand, and the barometer fluid rushing up and into the jar - old school. I digress, I have never seen this much sleet in my life. It is at least 6" deep on my deck and drive, and still going. As Hoosier said, a "bucket list" to do - I have no complaints with this winter - at all!! A fill in this weekend, and more Mon-Wed next week - happy camper.

:P

And quite a guy........still are!:snowman:

I'll already say this, when it comes to pure blizzard conditions, this is dominating '99, it's not even close. Sounds like some roofs are about to blow off.

I agree. The only time I've ever seen snowfall like this was the Jan '95 blizzard. The combination of the high winds and very heavy snow is fascinating. A lot of times we get the snow, and then the wind comes later after most has fallen. You can hear it roaring from inside the house.

Archived