• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Saint Louis University

Thunder Road

When Walt Drag moved in to Mount Holly, I saw SLU in his bio.

Anyone have opinions on their program?

I'm considering applying for Fall 2011.

I've seen more than a couple of former and/or current meteorology instructors from SLU do presentations for the COMET MetEd program online. It's a respectable meteorology program.

I didn't go to this university, therefore I can't speak for it. I do see this question asked quite often, and honestly, the answer differs quite a bit and depends upon what the incoming student is looking for. In my experience, small universities have a tendency to offer better programs in terms of overall interaction between student/professor. IN large programs such as OU and PSU, for instance, you will likely be one of possibly more than a hundred students in early classes and one of 30-40 in senior level classes. Moreover, universities such as those have a tendency to have a large percentage of research professors. What this all means is you will likely have little to no interaction with your professors, especially on a personal basis. However, in smaller universities, while you will have a better chance of interacting with your professors, smaller universities tend to have less resources at their disposal. In the end, I recommend a university which has a local NWS office (volunteer while you are in school), one which suits your ideal learning environment (small or large classes? interaction with professors? types of research? etc.), and most importantly, one which is affordable for you. No reason to go out of state unless you really feel the need. Most importantly, in this horrible meteorology job market, you need to be able to diversify your experiences and be ready to continue learning once you finish college. Do a lot of internships when you are in college, volunteer at a NWS office if possible, take part in student meteorology activities, and take part in AMS, etc. The reality is 60-80% of graduating students in meteorology never get a job in the field, and undergraduate enrollment is continuing to explode at a unsustainable rate (based on the market). You need to stand out as a student if you wish to succeed. Best thing you can do is visit SLU and determine on your own.

Archived