• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE Obs and Banter

moneypitmike

You're unfortunately too far north. The past 3 seasons I've watched most snow shower activity with any lakes association always target Pete's area. Not sure why but it's got to be topography.

It's the sacrifices I make in the name of Ullr paying dividends. (Actually I think the orientation of the Mohawk valley assisting in the alignment.)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're unfortunately too far north. The past 3 seasons I've watched most snow shower activity with any lakes association always target Pete's area. Not sure why but it's got to be topography.

He's (MPM) too far east of the spine...its about the proximity to the spine of the Berkshires. The spine gets the most from lake effect and Pete's area is close enough to get some of the "umbrella effect"...the leftover flakes as the streamer completely dies as it downslopes on the east side.

On the bright side, you and I benefit from those bands that ride along the RT 2 corridor during slow moving coastal storms and we get good help from the Monadnocks during overunning events.

He's (MPM) too far east of the spine...its about the proximity to the spine of the Berkshires. The spine gets the most from lake effect and Pete's area is close enough to get some of the "umbrella effect"...the leftover flakes as the streamer completely dies as it downslopes on the east side.

Gotcha'. Thanks. It does seem that the southern Berks do better with this type of streamer - is that just my imagination?

Gotcha'. Thanks. It does seem that the southern Berks do better with this type of streamer - is that just my imagination?

No its not, they do have a better trajectory angle to lake onatrio than further north....when you get a 300ish flow, that is aiming at the southern Berkshires. So leftover streamers will hit that area most directly and regenerate on the upslope. The 300 type flow starts to promote a bit more multi band which lets the streamers get further away from the lake than a more confined 270-290 flow.

It think it's more trajectory than topography that gets him. Its'a straight sw ine from Onario toward him wrt to things come from the lakes. We need a tad mor of a westerly trajectory which is less ideal. Still works, but not as good.

Didi you make it to SF last night?

32.7 flurrying again..

It think it's more trajectory than topography that gets him. Its'a straight sw ine from Onario toward him wrt to things come from the lakes. We need a tad mor of a westerly trajectory which is less ideal. Still works, but not as good.

Didi you make it to SF last night?

32.7 flurrying again..

Yeah, it's amazing how those types of showers travel almost a straight line towards that part of the Berks.

I was in Shelburne Falls but not until after 8 b/c I needed to help the wifey with the breakdown at her workshop.

The stray flake comes down about every 5 minutes here - lol.

Instability

COLD POOL ALOFT ADVECTS OVER NEW

ENGLAND DESTABILIZING THE AIRMASS AND PROMOTING MIXING TO AROUND

5000 FEET AGL.

FIRST CONCERN...CLOUDS. MODEL TIME-SECTIONS SHOW SUFFICIENT CLOUD

LEVEL MOISTURE /800 MB TO 900 MB/ FOR CLOUDS. THIS MOISTURE

REACHES TO THE SOUTH COAST...SO ALL AREAS SHOULD SEE CLOUDS EITHER

IN PLACE OR DEVELOPING. SUFFICIENT CYCLONIC FLOW CROSSING AT 18Z

FOR AT LEAST WIDELY SCATTERED RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS IN NH AND NORTHERN

MASS.

Yeah, it's amazing how those types of showers travel almost a straight line towards that part of the Berks.

I was in Shelburne Falls but not until after 8 b/c I needed to help the wifey with the breakdown at her workshop.

The stray flake comes down about every 5 minutes here - lol.

Note a "T" for the day:).

I was looking at my neighbor's stuff in his gallery. I love that he has something in there for $98k. lol

On the bright side, you and I benefit from those bands that ride along the RT 2 corridor during slow moving coastal storms and we get good help from the Monadnocks during overunning events.

It's not an accident that the highways lead the same paths of frequent weather movements. They cut the roads through the paths of least resistance. So, you see the lake effect bands frequently taking a trajectory similar to the NY Thruway/Mass pike. Similarly, you have those Rt. 2 bands you mention and the oft mentioned "north of the pike"/"west of 495/128" references that impact temp profiles.

I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm off on this.

Even E and NE Jay does better than Mansfield because the terrain to the E and NE is pretty flat around Jay while Mansfield has 2000-2500 ft hills east of them.

How much does the Mansfield Stake have now anyway?

Yeah to our east we actually have a 3,000ft ridgeline called the "Worcester Range" and on an east wind it sort of robs us of some moisture... but there's enough miles of flat ground between us and that ridgeline that we do upslope a bit from that direction, too. Personally, I think being the highest mountain around doesn't hurt in any situation, and a SE flow does great, but we may take a hit on an easterly flow from the Worcesters.

Stake: 1" as of 5pm yesterday... probably 3-4" now. We were down to bare ground, then got 1" of snow/sleet/ice at the summit yesterday morning.

Heavy snow here at the mountain... heaviest snow I've seen yet this season, easily under 1/4 mile with these squalls. Pushing 2" at the base now and 3" at the top so far today.

People on vacation though are loving this heavy snow... getting everyone in the winter spirit. Great, great atmosphere and mood up here today.

Instability

COLD POOL ALOFT ADVECTS OVER NEW

ENGLAND DESTABILIZING THE AIRMASS AND PROMOTING MIXING TO AROUND

5000 FEET AGL.

FIRST CONCERN...CLOUDS. MODEL TIME-SECTIONS SHOW SUFFICIENT CLOUD

LEVEL MOISTURE /800 MB TO 900 MB/ FOR CLOUDS. THIS MOISTURE

REACHES TO THE SOUTH COAST...SO ALL AREAS SHOULD SEE CLOUDS EITHER

IN PLACE OR DEVELOPING. SUFFICIENT CYCLONIC FLOW CROSSING AT 18Z

FOR AT LEAST WIDELY SCATTERED RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS IN NH AND NORTHERN

MASS.

Hey foolish we are looking at a squall line in upstate NY

Box might want to follow Ecks lead in NCT, KeV note the words squalls