SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just eyeballing it -- I'd say around 4" here in Petworth. 13th St NW is a mess and the power has flickered several times. Numerous flashes of lightning, though I do have to wonder whether some of those are transformers...

I live on 13th also. Just passed 4 inches here. Have been out a bit but haven't noticed any lightning. Hoping to see some. Thinking we can pull out 7-8 inches here.

Looks like for Columbia to BWI another 2-3 hours of moderate to heavy snow based on radar trends. Looks like w end up with 8-10 from this evening's batch of snow.

If we see another 4-6 inch storm this winter we hit our average, guess that's why you can never give up on a DC/Balt winter when trying to get it's seasonal average, one big storm and you only need another moderate one to do it.

I've had 1" of snow in 20 minutes.

PROTECT YOUR SHRUBS FOLKS!

I just got back inside -- we have 7-8" and mod snow. That stuff is VERY wet and dense, and will crush your shrubs and small evergreen trees. I have about 15 or so Leylands and American Hollies ranging from 10-30 feet tall, and they are bending every which way. I took a rake and got the snow off the lower branches, then shook the tree with the rake the best I could to get most of it off. If you have trees like those, you might want to try this.

What a storm! It kinda reminds me of that intense banding snowstorm we got around 2006 or 2007 that really crushed esp. Howard Co.

Unreal:

SHORT TERM FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

800 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

ANZ538-DCZ001-MDZ005>007-009>011-013-014-VAZ053-054-270300-

PATAPSCO RIVER INCLUDING BALTIMORE HARBOR-DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-

CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-

SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-

800 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

.NOW...

HEAVY SNOW WILL MOVE ACROSS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL MARYLAND THROUGH

MID EVENING. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES AN HOUR CAN BE

EXPECTED...WITH VISIBILITIES REDUCED TO ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS.

ISOLATED THUNDERSNOW MAY ALLOW FOR SNOWFALL RATES AS HIGH AS 3

INCHES PER HOUR.

IN ADDITION TO SNOW COVERED AND DANGEROUSLY SLICK ROADS...WATCH

OUT FOR FALLING TREE BRANCHES DUE TO THE HEAVY WET SNOW.

Cool link, we shoveled but you wouldn't know it. We got the Harford Co. emergency message saying to stay off the roads as it's white out conditions. Well I could see that by looking out my window. :)

Yup I'm looking at similar rates here in DC, pretty amazing.

I wonder how long we can hold on to this.

It's piling up in a hurry.

Pretty cool to check this out and see in real time the effects its having.

http://www.spc.ncep.....php?sector=17#

Hey any info would be appreciated. Im in NH got a call from my sister in law. She and small child has been stuck on Rt 50 in Tyson Corner area in car not moving for 5 hours. Nothing is moving. Trying to find out if anything on the roads is moving in DC area. She is frantic. Any input would be appreciated so I can call her back.

yep, now get working on next week

GFS and Canadian like snow and the Euro wants a Lakes cutter

will the Euro fold to GFS and Canadian?

I guess we'll see

well we know every storm now has to have 3"/hr rates and frequent lighting, thats obviously the new pattern

persistence forecasting FTW

just messing with you a little, enjoy the snow. I am taking a couple days off before I start really looking into that much, but from what I have seen a weaker surface low would be better. Stronger would likely cut since there is absolutely no blocking and not even an east based -nao this time. A weaker overrunning solution could work though. Way too early.

Archived