• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

I have read others on this Miller B and saying we don't do so good with them. I was always under the understanding we do fairly well with a Miller B, over a Miller A? Thoughts? Or is this a Hybrid Miller B? ( i think thats what they call them)

I think we do better with Miller A's, as they come right up the coast from the gulf. Miller B's redevelop off the mid atlantic coast and often a bit too late to give us heavy amounts of snow. Another issue wtih Miller B's is with the redevelopment process...there is often a "snow hole" between where the primary dies off and where the coastal takes over. And often, that "hole" is either very close or on top of me and you.

That is my understanding.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we do better with Miller A's, as they come right up the coast from the gulf. Miller B's redevelop off the mid atlantic coast and often a bit too late to give us heavy amounts of snow. Another issue wtih Miller B's is with the redevelopment process...there is often a "snow hole" between where the primary dies off and where the coastal takes over. And often, that "hole" is either very close or on top of me and you.

That is my understanding.

You are correct as it relates to the snow hole that occurs during the redevelopment process.!

I'm new to the site and still learning, I'm from Red Lion..What is a Miller A & B?

Stinks, I have to drive home from work from Baltimore to RL during the snow...right in the middle of it. :(

Still on board for at least up to 5"?

Welcome aboard...Here is a link for your reading pleasure on miller storms

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rnk/Newsletter/Fall%202006/Climatology_of_Heavy_Snow.htm

I'm new to the site and still learning, I'm from Red Lion..What is a Miller A & B?

Stinks, I have to drive home from work from Baltimore to RL during the snow...right in the middle of it. :(

An "A" is a storm that comes straight up from the GOM. A "B" is a storm that comes from the west or southwest and transfers to a stronger storm along the coast. When the latter happens, there's typically an area that sees less snowfall due to the first part of the storm drying up and the second part (coastal) initially not being able to bring moisture far enough west. Many times this happens between I-99 and I-81 where lighter amounts can occur.

This storm is a pain is the arse. But, this is what I came up with.

165122_131287786934838_130342690362681_191178_4613637_n.jpg

Nice again, I may have brought the lighter (2-5) back west to AOO on the west side and York on the east. Otherwise great. (I assume this is from Tue AM to Thur AM to get the higher totals in the Laurels?)

1st, Welcome! I hope you find this a friendly place to hang out and chat about the weather among other things.

2nd, and this a bit of an amateur's explanation, but a Miller A forms in the deep south and moves NE along the east coast, normally dropping significant snows all along the west of it's track. Miller B's often form along the mid atlantic coast (the further south of here the better for us) and then move NE along the coast. Where the storm develops ultimately determines how much snow we get, but it's fair to say that our preferred type is a Miller A if we want the big snows. A Miller B also is usually the 2nd part of a storm that first has a piece of energy to our west that dies off as the new storm (the Miller B) takes shape along the east coast. During the transfer of energy process, there is often an area in between the original storm and the new coastal low that gets less precip, and that area is quite often near me and you.

Hope that helps a bit...not the best explanation by any means.

Love the optimism...and that may be right. I'd go 1-3 South Central, 3-5 west, 2-4 North Central, and maybe 3-6 East Central. Doesnt look like the coastal will have much influence...even around I-81.

Nothing goes as low as 1" so I tossed an 1" forecast long ago.

NAM out put even for hgr is 5.5" and GFS is 4.7"

MDT is like 6.5" on nam and arounf 5.5" for gfs.

It has us in the 2-5" range. The map is about identical to what I'd do.

I fear someone along the MD border though is going to get seriously dryslotted.

awesome. I have been telling co-workers i like 3-5" and 6-10" for those who aren't on my Christmas card list :lmao: ... i crack me up sometimes. lol

Archived