• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINDADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATION...THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS.* WINDS...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH AND WIND GUSTS OF 45 TO 55 MPH.* TIMING...THE WINDS WILL BECOME STRONG OVERNIGHT...AND PEAK DURING THE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON HOURS WEDNESDAY. THE WINDS SHOULD DIMINISH TO BELOW ADVISORY CRITERIA IN THE LATE AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINDADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATION...THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS.* WINDS...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH AND WIND GUSTS OF 45 TO 55 MPH.* TIMING...THE WINDS WILL BECOME STRONG OVERNIGHT...AND PEAK DURING THE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON HOURS WEDNESDAY. THE WINDS SHOULD DIMINISH TO BELOW ADVISORY CRITERIA IN THE LATE AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING.

Hey man, hope your well?

Ugh, I hate wind. I guess I shouldn't complain though. Mid-November wind storms do one thing that's needed: Blow all the remaining leaves off trees and break smaller branches so when the ice comes we don't have a complete disaster. This wind will do wonders solving that problem. :)

I guess I won't take the trash out tonight (tomorrow's trash day). If I did my trash can would be halfway to Reading by the time I get home and we can go two weeks easily with no issues!

It's 2 days after the 15th anniversary of the massive Appalachian snowstorm (11/14-15/95) that dumped 1-2 feet of snow in many areas from WVA through PA and upstate NY. State College was especially hard hit with extensive tree damage and 16-24" of wet snow across the area. A number of my professors had some stories to tell about that one. :weight_lift:

I actually remember watching the storm on TWC, jealous as anything that it was snowing like crazy in PA and only cold raining in NYC where I lived.

It's 2 days after the 15th anniversary of the massive Appalachian snowstorm (11/14-15/95) that dumped 1-2 feet of snow in many areas from WVA through PA and upstate NY. State College was especially hard hit with extensive tree damage and 16-24" of wet snow across the area. A number of my professors had some stories to tell about that one. :weight_lift:

I actually remember watching the storm on TWC, jealous as anything that it was snowing like crazy in PA and only cold raining in NYC where I lived.

My dad was just talking about that storm this past weekend. We have a hunting cabin on a ridge 40 miles east of State College. At his mom's house in the valley, there was only a slushy coating from that storm, at the cabin around 950-1000ft there was 3-5", and on the top of the mountain at 2000+ft there was nearly 2 feet. Crazy stuff. I'd love to see a November storm like that here again.

Just had a nice line of heavy rain move through in the past 15 minutes, wind picked up and it was really coming down in sheets. 55° here at the moment.

Guys, next Wednesday my wife and I leave for a 2.5 week German vacation. Our forecast for the first six days (granted this is more than a week out)

Day 1: Cold with snow

Day 2: Flurries

Day 3: Snow showers

Day 4: Heavy snow

Day 5: Cold with snow

Day 6: Cold with snow

Here we come, Munich!

congrats on the vaca..hope everything goes fine for your family. I have always wanted to see Germany and Austria, hopefully someday :) good luck on the snow to

A little off topic, but does anybody know their way around a midland 300 noaa weather radio? I know that the radio comes with the standard tones for the watches and warnings, but is there anyway to program them to pick up advisories like freezing rain, winter weather, wind, etc and weather statements? As an avid weather enthusiast i was really hoping to get updates with these nws alerts, but to no avail with the current wind advisory state wide. I wish the NWR covered more than the standard EMS alerts and codes, shame really. I know non weather people complain about being woke up by random weather alerts and they only want the "important" ones, but if they didn't want to hear ever single weather alert they could always program them off. I really wish there was a way to get all the alerts from state college. If anybody has an idea about this please inform me. Thanks :)

P.S have picked up exactly 1.00" of rain so far and look to pick up another .15-.25". Temp of 50. Hopefully this wind event will be exciting, hoping to see some gust to 45MPH!

My dad was just talking about that storm this past weekend. We have a hunting cabin on a ridge 40 miles east of State College. At his mom's house in the valley, there was only a slushy coating from that storm, at the cabin around 950-1000ft there was 3-5", and on the top of the mountain at 2000+ft there was nearly 2 feet. Crazy stuff. I'd love to see a November storm like that here again.

Just had a nice line of heavy rain move through in the past 15 minutes, wind picked up and it was really coming down in sheets. 55° here at the moment.

I heard about how localized the snow from that event was (as is often the case with very early/late season snows in the mountains). The Susquehanna Valley had very little, and the ridgetops often had up to 30", especially in the Laurel Highlands. State College is in an elevated valley at 1200 feet, which I'm sure helped keep it snow. I can't imagine how much must have fallen at Tussey or Mt. Nittany when even downtown had a foot and a half. October 2005's snow event was another example, when a few inches fell downtown, but there were reports of up to a foot on the hilltops around the area.

I heard about how localized the snow from that event was (as is often the case with very early/late season snows in the mountains). The Susquehanna Valley had very little, and the ridgetops often had up to 30", especially in the Laurel Highlands. State College is in an elevated valley at 1200 feet, which I'm sure helped keep it snow. I can't imagine how much must have fallen at Tussey or Mt. Nittany when even downtown had a foot and a half. October 2005's snow event was another example, when a few inches fell downtown, but there were reports of up to a foot on the hilltops around the area.

Last October's snowfall was similar. 4.9" officially on campus, with 5-7" most places just outside of State College, and more like 6-9" on the ridges. I estimated 10+ fell at around 2000-2200ft a few miles south of State College near Bear Meadows(behind Tussey Mountain) as there was still a solid 4-6" on the ground 5 days afterwards, when the valley had melted off completely.

Last October's snowfall was similar. 4.9" officially on campus, with 5-7" most places just outside of State College, and more like 6-9" on the ridges. I estimated 10+ fell at around 2000-2200ft a few miles south of State College near Bear Meadows(behind Tussey Mountain) as there was still a solid 4-6" on the ground 5 days afterwards, when the valley had melted off completely.

oh yeah, i forgot about that snow in State college last fall. Jamie gave some good reports from up that way..

Guys, next Wednesday my wife and I leave for a 2.5 week German vacation. Our forecast for the first six days (granted this is more than a week out)

Here we come, Munich!

sounds awesome, enjoy your vacation

Very windy today. Anybody know KUNV's sensor sucks and it is always reporting obs at random times. Why cant they set up an official asos reporting station with 6 hr max/min temps?

This is the second time in a few weeks that this has happened -- they are actually taking manual observations. There is no "AUTO" in the METAR and they are reporting visibilities of over 10 miles, which I have never seen even an ASOS do:

KUNV 171147Z 23016G24KT 10SM -RA SCT024 OVC048 09/07 A2952=

KUNV 171255Z 24010G15KT 15SM OVC034 07/06 A2956=

KUNV 171356Z 23012G17KT 20SM OVC034 08/03 A2961=

This has had me wondering if we will see improvements to the weather obs at UNV with the opening of the new control tower.

This is the second time in a few weeks that this has happened -- they are actually taking manual observations. There is no "AUTO" in the METAR and they are reporting visibilities of over 10 miles, which I have never seen even an ASOS do:

KUNV 171147Z 23016G24KT 10SM -RA SCT024 OVC048 09/07 A2952=

KUNV 171255Z 24010G15KT 15SM OVC034 07/06 A2956=

KUNV 171356Z 23012G17KT 20SM OVC034 08/03 A2961=

This has had me wondering if we will see improvements to the weather obs at UNV with the opening of the new control tower.

One can only hope. Just think how many inches of "Unknown Precip" we've had in the last 5 years...that and it reporting snow when it's raining.

Here we come, Munich!

Have a great and safe trip! That forecast reminds me of our first 10 days of February this past year...

Archived