• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Well I was close to the watch issued for me...2-5" not 2-4". I think the 0.1" of ice is a little low to be honest.

We've been really overperforming with sleet lately and underperforming on ZR.  That might work to keep ice down (not that this event necessarily has anything to do with the last couple).  We'll see.  We could get some good icing once/if WAA really takes over and starts eroding the wedge from the top-down, though, depending on how long that takes.

I see WSWs are out for the Blacksburg counties.  I would guess RAH will uncork them here in a few minutes, then, as well.

The 15z SREF looks a little better, not that it's probably much use at this range.  Anyways, it's Happy Hour NAM time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had several systems to track here in the Eastern and Central NC area lately and I can tell you the two best models for qpf amounts, LP track and final outcome have been the NAM and the RGEM. With the Eastern NC snow that dropped 1-3" across areas the Euro was "consistent" with absolutely nothing at all... Until within 24 hours of the event when it finally began catching on. The NAM and RGEM did excellent with regards to precip cutoff and accumulations. GFS was not that good but sort of caught on and the CMC was bad also. With this system I'm going with a NAM/RGEM blend since they've been doing well for this area and have the hot hand. The Euro may be consistent but it doesn't mean it's right. Same for the CMC.

The Watch is about what I expected for GA...any 1-2" snow is limited to high elevations of the mountains...the ice seems a little high down that way but I see what they are doing. Better safe than sorry...plus although have to do is change 0,25 to 0.20 with a Winter Storm Watch to a Freezing Rain Advisory if it were to come in warmer later on. Good call. 

GSP is in the middle...and will likely be similar just slightly better chances of actually receiving the above outlook IMO.

The Watch is about what I expected for GA...any 1-2" snow is limited to high elevations of the mountains...the ice seems a little high down that way but I see what they are doing. Better safe than sorry...plus although have to do is change 0,25 to 0.20 with a Winter Storm Watch to a Freezing Rain Advisory if it were to come in warmer later on. Good call. 

GSP is in the middle...and will likely be similar just slightly better chances of actually receiving the above outlook IMO.

I would think all of wnc under a winter storm watch, if nothing else so much uncertainty. include the upstate.

Question. Was the wording "a very low-confidence watch" posted in the GSP-AFD or some where else?

Thanks

Probably should've just posted that part of the disco, so here ya go:

*Edit: And qualified that they're referring to the edges of the watch.

SINCE SUNDAY NIGHT IS NOW 3RD PERIOD...AND AFTER COLLABORATION  

WITH SURROUNDING OFFICES...HAVE OPTED TO ISSUE A WATCH. WILL  

TRY TO EXPLAIN THE PLACEMENT AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. STARTED AREAS  

NORTHWEST OF A LINE GENERALLY FROM FRANKLIN TO ASHEVILLE TO LENOIR  

AT 00Z MONDAY TO LINE UP WITH HIGH CHANCE TO LIKELY POPS /ALL SNOW/  

SPREADING ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS. SPREAD THE WATCH SOUTHEAST INTO THE  

PIEDMONT...GENERALLY FROM CARNESVILLE GA TO GSP TO CHARLOTTE...AFTER  

06Z MONDAY AS THE PRECIPITATION SPREADS SOUTHEAST. DROPPED  

THE WATCH FOR ALL BUT THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS AT 00Z TUESDAY AS  

TEMPERATURES SHOULD BE ALL ABOVE FREEZING BY THEN...BUT LINGERED FOR  

YANCEY/MITCHELL/AVERY THROUGH 12Z TUESDAY. NOW...GIVEN DIFFERENT 12-  

AND 24-HR SNOW CRITERIA ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA...THE WATCH IS A  

BIT OF A STRETCH ACROSS PORTIONS OF SW NC WHERE WE NEED 4 INCHES  

IN 12 HOURS FOR A WARNING. ACROSS NE GA...UPSTATE SC...AND THE  

WESTERN NC PIEDMONT...CONFIDENCE IN GENERAL IS PRETTY DARN LOW AND  

REALLY ONLY BASED ON THE FACT THAT WE COULD POSSIBLY SEE ENOUGH  

SLEET MONDAY MORNING...BEFORE IT MELTS...TO MAYBE REACH WARNING  

CRITERIA /YES I USED POSSIBLY AND MAYBE IN ONE SENTENCE/. PROBABLY  

MORE OF AN ADVISORY SITUATION BUT STILL ENOUGH UNCERTAINTY IN THE  

SURFACE LOW TRACK THAT I FEEL OKAY WITH THE WATCH.  

I AM SURE THAT I MISSED SOME METEOROLOGICAL DETAILS THAT WERE  

INCORPORATED INTO THE GRIDS AND WATCH PHILOSOPHY BUT THIS IS LONG  

ENOUGH AS IT IS.  

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC322 PM EST SAT FEB 13 2016...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS CONTINUE FOR MUCH OF THE NORTHCAROLINA MOUNTAINS......WINTER STORM POSSIBLE SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY....THE LEADING EDGE OF ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE CONTINUES TO BUILD INTOTHE REGION FROM THE NORTHWEST THIS AFTERNOON. WINDY CONDITIONSACCOMPANYING THE COLD AIR WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE BITTER WINDCHILLS ACROSS THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.MOISTURE WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA LATE SUNDAY AS AN UPPER LEVELDISTURBANCE APPROACHES THE AREA...AND WITH VERY COLD TEMPERATURESIN PLACE...PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN AS SNOW. SNOW WILL CHANGE OVERTO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FROM SOUTH TO NORTH...WITH TEMPERATURESWARMING ENOUGH TO CHANGE MOST OF THE AREA OVER TO ALL RAIN BYMONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.NCZ048-051>053-058-059-062-501>506-140430-/O.NEW.KGSP.WS.A.0003.160215T0000Z-160216T0000Z/MADISON-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-GREATER CALDWELL-BURKE MOUNTAINS-GREATER BURKE-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-EASTERN MCDOWELL-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MARS HILL...MARSHALL...HOT SPRINGS...BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...CANTON...LAKE JUNALUSKA...ROBBINSVILLE...CULLOWHEE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...HIGHLANDS...LENOIR...JONAS RIDGE...MORGANTON...OLD FORT...MARION322 PM EST SAT FEB 13 2016...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGHMONDAY EVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUEDA WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENINGTHROUGH MONDAY EVENING.* LOCATIONS...THE NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS.* HAZARDS...SNOW...MIXING WITH AND CHANGING OVER TO SLEET AND  FREEZING RAIN.* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN SUNDAY EVENING AND LAST THROUGH LATE  MONDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET AND EVENTUALLY CHANGE  OVER TO FREEZING RAIN MIDDAY MONDAY. TEMPERATURES WILL WARM  MONDAY AFTERNOON RESULTING IN A CHANGEOVER TO ALL RAIN MONDAY  EVENING.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE...ALONG  WITH UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN MAY  RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S SUNDAY NIGHT...WARMING UP TO THE  MID 30S BY MONDAY EVENING.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTSNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OFWEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILSCAN BE FOUND AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/GSP.&&$$

The CAD sets up along the southeast coast like nowhere else in the world. I'm a native Tar Heel and I've seen it all my life. Even way out to the eastern edges of the piedmont and into the coastal plain, CAD can be evident.

Even if the hp slides somewhat east, as long as we have that north east or even east wind component at the surface the wedge will lock in for some period of time.

NAM looks better at specifics in this setup than the Euro. Big question for me is how much moisture will there be and where will the slp track.

The 18z NAM is a lot wetter than the 12z NAM for northern NC with the initial wave when it's cold enough. Most of that precip was in VA last run.

12z vs. 18z:

25hoc1w.gif

Not surprising, it's trending towards the RGEM solution which focuses the initial overrunning wave over NC instead of Southern VA. If that happens it will lock in the insitu cad wedge and drop several inches of snow before a sleet or zr changeover. RGEM and NAM are a great combo inside 48 hours and imo for CAD events like this superior to the other models.

Also from my experience I've learned that if any models are showing an amped up solution, like the Euro or UK, while the NAM isn't then that is a warning flag that the Euro/Uk is wrong. When the NAM isn't amping something up at 60+ hours and especially inside 48 hours it shows that whatever model with the amped solution being shown is incorrect. Also the 12km nam has a broad, strung out low with really no discernible surface reflection and it jumps around frequently. A far cry from the 998mb low the UK has and the strong LP the Euro is showing. I don't buy the UK/Euro solution this time around.

Wow, 18z NAM really slows down later in the run, vs. 12z. At 60 hours, low is still back in far East-Central Alabama. At 66 hours on the 12z it was in S.C. I know these lows are weak and not easily keyed upon by models, but precip field is also much slower to move through. 18Z NAM also locks in the wedge a bit longer than 12z run.

Wow, 18z NAM really slows down later in the run, vs. 12z. At 60 hours, low is still back in far East-Central Alabama. At 66 hours on the 12z it was in S.C. I know these lows are weak and not easily keyed upon by models, but precip field is also much slower to move through. 18Z NAM also locks in the wedge a bit longer than 12z run.

To me, the 4K NAM looks a touch warmer. Having said that, it's still keeping GSP at or below freezing through 57 hours. But yeah, it's definitely slower/further southwest of 12Z.

Here's the thing -- if you are going to proclaim "party's over" and all that mess, then what you are saying is, you have supreme knowledge and confidence that there can't be a 1-2F error in modeled CAD region temperatures. If you are that smart, I tip my cap to you, but the truth is, I submit, this is within the margin of error of computer modeling and if there is indeed a 1-2F error on the warm side to the modeling, the outcome of this storm will be dramatically different. The NAM is showing about .75 inches of precip falling in Shelby at 32.6F. 

RAH

OVERVIEW: CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE REGARDING THE TIMING...
MOST PROBABLE PRECIP TYPE PATTERN... AND PRIMARY WEATHER THREATS FOR
THE INCOMING SYSTEM. LATEST GUIDANCE SHOWS THE ONSET OF PRECIP SUN
NIGHT MOSTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT... AND AN EARLIER ENDING BY THE LUNCH
HOUR TUE.

THE LATEST MODEL TIMING AND VERTICAL THERMAL
STRUCTURE SUGGESTS A SLIGHTLY LONGER-LASTING AND MORE AREALLY
EXPANSIVE ICING THREAT THAN WHAT WAS INDICATED YESTERDAY... ALTHOUGH
THIS OVERALL LOOKS LIKE ADVISORY CRITERIA ACCUMULATIONS AT MOST OVER
ALL BUT PERHAPS THE FAR NW. TENTATIVE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE FROM ONE
TO THREE HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH OF ICING (MAINLY TRACE AMOUNTS)
ALONG/NW OF HIGHWAY 1 EXCEPT FOR FOUR TO SIX HUNDREDTHS IN THE NW
PIEDMONT... AND SNOW TOTALS OF 1-3" NW QUARTER WITH A QUARTER INCH
TO ONE INCH ELSEWHERE (JUST A TRACE SE)... ALL OF WHICH SHOULD BE
QUICKLY SWEPT AWAY BY MODERATE TO POTENTIALLY HEAVY RAINFALL MON
NIGHT INTO TUE MORNING. WILL ISSUE A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR AREAS
ALONG AND NW OF A LINE FROM ALBEMARLE TO CARTHAGE TO RALEIGH TO
WARRENTON FOR SUN NIGHT THROUGH LATE MON.

PRECIP TOTALS: STORM TOTAL LIQUID QPF IS EXPECTED TO BE 1 TO 1 1/2"
WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE... GIVEN THE HIGH WATER CONTENT
AND STRONG LIFT MON NIGHT/TUE MORNING. BASED ON THE ANTECEDENT
CONDITIONS AND WITH SEVERAL RIVERS AND CREEKS RUNNING HIGH... A
FLOOD WATCH MAY BE NEEDED FOR SOME PORTION OF THE AREA FOR MON NIGHT
INTO TUE MORNING.

STORM POTENTIAL: WHILE LAPSE RATES WILL LIKELY BE MARGINAL (NEARING
6.5 C/KM LATE MON NIGHT INTO TUE MORNING MAINLY IN THE EAST)... THE
STRONG AND FOCUSED LIFT POSSIBLE WITH THIS SYSTEM AND WARMING LOW
LEVELS ESPECIALLY IN THE SANDHILLS AND COASTAL PLAIN MAY SUPPORT A
FEW LIGHTNING STRIKES LATE MON NIGHT INTO TUE MORNING.

Not surprising, it's trending towards the RGEM solution which focuses the initial overrunning wave over NC instead of Southern VA. If that happens it will lock in the insitu cad wedge and drop several inches of snow before a sleet or zr changeover. RGEM and NAM are a great combo inside 48 hours and imo for CAD events like this superior to the other models.

And these two have been trending colder and with more precip each run.

Here's the thing -- if you are going to proclaim "party's over" and all that mess, then what you are saying is, you have supreme knowledge and confidence that there can't be a 1-2F error in modeled CAD region temperatures. If you are that smart, I tip my cap to you, but the truth is, I submit, this is within the margin of error of computer modeling and if there is indeed a 1-2F error on the warm side to the modeling, the outcome of this storm will be dramatically different. The NAM is showing about .75 inches of precip falling in Shelby at 32.6F. 

December 2005 says hello. 

This could be the perfect way to have a storm. Enjoy the snow and ice during the day Monday, while the rain makes it go away that night. The roads will still be a mess during the day Monday. Of course if the CAD holds on longer, or the precip stops sooner, there could be less rain to wash things away Monday night.

Yeah, the 18z NAM has it 32-33 here while the heaviest precip comes in (following the decent bit of front-end wintry stuff which is no joke, as is).  It makes you wonder.

Current Watch update:

160vlkz.png

EDIT: Also, the 12z French Fries backed off from the more amped solution it showed last night.  It's more NAM-like now with a very weak surface low that barely even shows up on the maps.

Archived