• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
past weather forecasts

Hello

I'm looking for past weather forecasts (not obervations) for major US cities, for an undergraduate statistics project.  I'm sure one of the geeks here has scraped forecasts from websites in the past years.  Would you share your files with me ?

Where else could I find that data ?  I've tried and tried....

Thanks and kind regards

Daniel.

Hello

I'm looking for past weather forecasts (not obervations) for major US cities, for an undergraduate statistics project.  I'm sure one of the geeks here has scraped forecasts from websites in the past years.  Would you share your files with me ?

Thanks and kind regards

Daniel.

Try this, http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/browser . It's the real-feel New York Times from 1850's to 1980. It has the daily forecast and in most cases, through 1976, forecast and past day's maps. Maybe forecast maps only back to early 1970's but verbalforecasts all the way back.

Hello

Thanks and kind regards

Daniel.

What sort of forecasts are you looking for?  What information from them are you looking for?  What organization do you want the forecasts to have come from?

Try this, http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/browser . It's the real-feel New York Times from 1850's to 1980. It has the daily forecast and in most cases, through 1976, forecast and past day's maps. Maybe forecast maps only back to early 1970's but verbalforecasts all the way back.

Thanks for your kind idea, but I need it in machine-readable format (ideally csv file);   I want to do statistics with it and cross it with actually observed data to see when/why discrepencies occur and what socio-economic effects may be found.

Dan.

What sort of forecasts are you looking for?  What information from them are you looking for?  What organization do you want the forecasts to have come from?

I'd need temperatures and rainfall/snowfall; I think these are the easiest to do stats with.

The source may be from any organisation;  ideally from same providers as current forecasts on website (accuweather, weather.com, timeanddate.com, wunderground.com). I emailed these sites directly, but in vain; only customweather keeps old forecasts but sells them for $50 per year per forecast location - which would ruin me.

I'd need temperatures and rainfall/snowfall; I think these are the easiest to do stats with.

The source may be from any organisation;  ideally from same providers as current forecasts on website (accuweather, weather.com, timeanddate.com, wunderground.com). I emailed these sites directly, but in vain; only customweather keeps old forecasts but sells them for $50 per year per forecast location - which would ruin me.

Not surprisingly, commercial entities don't usually allow forecast archives for free.  You'd have to do it yourself.

However, the NWS products are available here:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/

Temperatures and probability of precipitation can be found most easily in the SFT product.  For example, for New Jersey, you'd type in product SFTNJ (state code used), but for northeast Nevada you'd type SFTLKN (NWS office code used).  So, there will probably be some trial and error.

Not surprisingly, commercial entities don't usually allow forecast archives for free.  You'd have to do it yourself.

However, the NWS products are available here:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/

Temperatures and probability of precipitation can be found most easily in the SFT product.  For example, for New Jersey, you'd type in product SFTNJ (state code used), but for northeast Nevada you'd type SFTLKN (NWS office code used).  So, there will probably be some trial and error.

Thanks.  We're getting closer to it. 

However... I don't get any result for SFTNJ;  normal ? 

I do get results for SFTLKN; but whatever start & end dates I request, the result is always the same (forecast from Dec 01 to Dec 07); am I missing something ?

How to I query past forecasts (say those of Jan 01 for Jan 2 - Jan 10) ?

Regards

Daniel

Thanks.  We're getting closer to it. 

However... I don't get any result for SFTNJ;  normal ? 

I do get results for SFTLKN; but whatever start & end dates I request, the result is always the same (forecast from Dec 01 to Dec 07); am I missing something ?

How to I query past forecasts (say those of Jan 01 for Jan 2 - Jan 10) ?

Regards

Daniel

Hmm, I seem to remember it was SFTNJ, but maybe its been SFTPHI forever.  Memory failing me.

Archived