SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, SE winds at 8 knots and temp down to 77 now. They somehow managed 11 knots yesterday with nothing higher than 7 knots on any hourly ob, so I'm hoping that something like that occurs today too.

The sea breeze tends to be less gusty. Usually your higher winds come on the onset of it. I don't think anything higher than 10 knots today, but we'll see in a bit with climo due out in less than an hour.

The sea breeze tends to be less gusty. Usually your higher winds come on the onset of it. I don't think anything higher than 10 knots today, but we'll see in a bit with climo due out in less than an hour.

It looks like it hit between the 19-20z obs, although probably closer to the 20z ob per the radar. We'll see soon either way! I'd take 10 knots, as long as it's not 8 or 9.

It looks like it hit between the 19-20z obs, although probably closer to the 20z ob per the radar. We'll see soon either way! I'd take 10 knots, as long as it's not 8 or 9.

Yesterday's climo said that the 11 knot sustained came from synoptic flow. Since the water temperature and air temperature difference aren't that huge, I would think nothing more than 10 knots with the sea breeze. I just looked at stations to the south and east of Wilmington. Found a 13mph sustained at Kure Beach but it is decently south. Found an 11mph sustained at Mercer Pier but its at 50ft agl and ILM sits 32ft agl. Best bet is 9-10 knots by the looks of it.

Yesterday's climo said that the 11 knot sustained came from synoptic flow. Since the water temperature and air temperature difference aren't that huge, I would think nothing more than 10 knots with the sea breeze. I just looked at stations to the south and east of Wilmington. Found a 13mph sustained at Kure Beach but it is decently south. Found an 11mph sustained at Mercer Pier but its at 50ft agl and ILM sits 32ft agl. Best bet is 9-10 knots by the looks of it.

That seems reasonable. Kure is right on the water too and ILM is a bit inland. Hopefully they put out the climo soon.

Well that escalated quickly. 69F to 76F in one hour, not bad! But only up to 78F this hour. I'm guessing my 82F is a bit low (83F-84F seems a bit more likely to me), but watch the convective clouds and seabreeze carefully this afternoon.

Thunder, not so sure it's a luck in this city... I've found some helpful tools. ;)

Well hitting the high versus being 1 degree off, to me that's luck.  Tomorrow though... tomorrow's not luck.  I went...

83/63/19/0.04

Thinking that WAA will be counteracted by the seabreeze coming in earlier and just wind off the ocean in general for the high staying 83.  Clear tonight under the mid-level ridge axis, but dews were 2 degrees higher than they were yesterday when I was forecasting a little before 23z.

I'm leading the pack at Valpo on wind, but with 850's approaching 20 kts at the end of peak heating (and then of course continuing to increase after that), and a well-mixed PBL before clouds move in (hopefully right after peak heating), I think we could mix down some higher gusts.  (The momentum transfer tool in BUFKIT was hitting 24 kts on the 18z NAM).

Precip?  Eh, i just took the 15z SREF mean.  

Went 84/65/19/0

Hoping stronger SSW winds keep the sea breeze from coming in from the east tomorrow. Hoping the light southerly breezes tonight stay up just enough to keep dews from falling and keep lows up. With boundary layer average winds of 20+ knots tomorrow evening and winds at the top of the boundary layer getting close to 20 knots by late afternoon am thinking winds in the high teens to near 20 knots are doable. The rain either gets there before 6z or doesn't. Am leaning slower as the front will still be well west and most hi-res models don't show much getting in there before 6z. Possible fly in the ointment is the 0z 4km NAM and recent HRRR runs showing some showers developing nearby in the middle of the night tonight...am hoping they either don't develop or don't hit ILM.

It is going to be close.

The storms have weakened to a pretty thin line of moderate rain, so if that weakening continues it's not hopeless. Assuming the winds get to 19 knots I'd still move up a good amount even if it rains and even if the temps get to like 85, although I'd move up pretty high if it manages to not rain so I'm still hoping haha

Yes. Hoping the winds come up over the next couple of hours and at least get close to my 19 knots. 18 knots would probably be ok.

I can't see any higher than 16 knots. Winds just never got going and I have 18 for my forecast.

Edit: Good thing winds still got an hour until 5z to get up more even though it will be 1am local but climo comes in for 12am DST so that would be 1am. 

I can't see any higher than 16 knots. Winds just never got going and I have 18 for my forecast.

Edit: Good thing winds still got an hour until 5z to get up more even though it will be 1am local but climo comes in for 12am DST so that would be 1am.

Yeah, the 5z ob will clue us in on the wind soon. I saw Myrtle Beach was sustained at 18 and gusting to 25 knots at 4:30z, so hoping winds increase at least a bit at ILM. I'd settle for 17 knots but really want 18+

Edit: Only 10 knots for the 5z ob. Were 13 knots last hour. So, 18+ knots looks highly unlikely. They usually don't put out the climo until 5-6AM.

Yeah, the 5z ob will clue us in on the wind soon. I saw Myrtle Beach was sustained at 18 and gusting to 25 knots at 4:30z, so hoping winds increase at least a bit at ILM. I'd settle for 17 knots but really want 18+

Edit: Only 10 knots for the 5z ob. Were 13 knots last hour. So, 18+ knots looks highly unlikely. They usually don't put out the climo until 5-6AM.

More like 544am is when they put out the overnight climo. And the precip goose looks to be cooked or close to it. Freaking thunderstorms popped out of nowhere.

Archived