joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 26th-29th (Snow?) Storm

Powerball

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess being in the middle is the best place to be 5 days out. Euro doesnt have much of a storm anyway, but what precip does fall is WAY WAY south of us. GGEM has a nice storm tracking NW of us giving us mostly rain. GFS gives us snow, with its ensembles showing everything from a nice snow, to rain, to dry with a suppressed storm (though most do show an appreciable storm). All you can do is wait and hope!

Lol! The models are SO useful..........

JB is riding the model that has the best/coldest scenario for the east coast? I am absolutely SHOCKED!!! Bottom line, euro has the best track record but the least support. Best track record does not mean right 100% of the time (not close, actually). So I think until/if it gets more support...discount the euro!

LOT

NEXT WEEK...

EARLY NEXT WEEK...A MID LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL DIG FROM THE PAC NW

INTO THE CENTRAL PLAINS WITH MODERATE AMPLIFICATION OF UPPER PATTERN

THOUGH IT REMAINS PROGRESSIVE. AT THE SURFACE...LOW PRESSURE WILL

DEEPEN OVER THE CENTRAL/SOUTHERN HIGH PLAINS BEFORE EJECTING EAST OR

NORTHEAST ACROSS THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY. UNFORTUNATELY MODELS

CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE ON THE EVOLUTION OF THIS SYSTEM WITH A COUPLE

SOMEWHAT CLUSTERED SOLUTIONS THAT MODELS HAVE BEEN KEYING ON. THE

SOLUTION WITH MOST CONSENSUS WOULD BE FOR THE LOW TO MOVE NORTHEAST

ACROSS THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY AND ALONG THE OHIO VALLEY WITH

WRAP AROUND MOISTURE BRINGING A WINTRY MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW TO THE

LOCAL AREA. THIS SOLUTION HAS SUPPORT FROM THE GFS AND GEM AS WELL

AS THE GEFS MEAN. LOOKING AT SPAGHETTI PLOTS...GLOBAL ENSEMBLE

MEMBERS HAVE LOW POSITIONS UP AND DOWN THE LENGTH OF THE

MISSISSIPPI...THOUGH MORE FAVORING THE NORTH TRACK. THE ECMWF HAS

BEEN CONSISTENT WITH THE LOW PASSING OVER THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY AND MOVING INTO THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES...WHILE EARLIER RUNS

OF THE GFS ALSO SHARED A MORE SOUTHERLY SOLUTION. GIVEN THE

INCONSISTENCIES CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW IN THE FORECAST BEYOND SUNDAY

NIGHT.

MKX

MODELS DIFFER IN HANDLING EVOLUTION OF 500 MB WAVE AND SUBSEQUENT

SURFACE DEVELOPMENT FOR MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. SURFACE

CYCLOGENESIS IS FASTER ON GEMNH AND GFS...AND CONSEQUENTLY THEY ARE

FARTHER NORTH THAN ECMWF OR DGEX WITH TRACK OF SURFACE

LOW...BRINGING POTENTIAL FOR HIGHER AMOUNTS. CONSENSUS BLEND

CURRENTLY GIVES US ONLY A CHANCE OF SNOW...NOT A SURPRISE GIVEN THE

FACT THAT THE GEMNH HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY NORTH THE LAST TWO RUNS

WHILE THE ECMWF HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY SOUTH AND DRY. BUT THIS SYSTEM

WILL HAVE TO BE WATCHED ON LATER RUNS AS SOME OF THE

CLIMATOLOGICALLY FAVORED LOW TO MID-LEVEL FEATURES THAT BRING HEAVY

NOVEMBER SNOW TO WISCONSIN ARE BEING REFLECTED IN SOME OF THE

MODELS...EVEN THE ONES WITH THE FARTHER SOUTH SURFACE LOW SOLUTION.

HIGH PRESSURE KEEPS THE REMAINDER OF THE EXTENDED DRY...WITH

TEMPERATURES AT OR JUST BELOW NORMAL.

Wow, the 12z EURO ensemble mean is now as flat as the OP. Even the UKIE has gone more sheared/suppressed, although not to the same extent. I'm thinking there are sampling issues with the s/w as it's currently still over the Pacific. The EURO has a distinct s/w at 72 hours but then it simply disappears in later frames. Whatever transpires, nice to be back to tracking.

Wow, the 12z EURO ensemble mean is now as flat as the OP. Even the UKIE has gone more sheared/suppressed, although not to the same extent. I'm thinking there are sampling issues with the s/w as it's currently still over the Pacific. The EURO has a distinct s/w at 72 hours but then it simply disappears in later frames. Whatever transpires, nice to be back to tracking.

WAVE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DEVELOPMENT REMAINS ANCHORED OFF THE WEST COAST OF BRITISH COLUMBIA IN POORLY SAMPLED REGION. DEGREE OF AMPLIFICATION OF LONG WAVE PATTERN WILL DICTATE HOW STRONG THIS WAVE ENDS UP BEING AS IT DIVES

INTO PLAINS.

Not sure if people out here are familiar with the Canadian clown maps, but on the 12z GEM through 120 (according to this product anyway) it's rain south of the WI/IL line and south of I-94 in MI, although with a decent amount of wrap-around snow hitting the Quad Cities and hopefully pivoting on through Chicago.

I_nw_g1_EST_2012112212_120.png

http://collaboration...pe_gem_reg.html

I don't remember how quick it updates for the new run, but the 0z should be coming out in about an hour or so.

this?

eta.totsnow192.gif

east.eta.ptype114.gif

Fantasy maps in Nov? Maybe that bodes well for this winter. Remember in 2010-11? There were fantasy maps almost every day. Many of them didnt pan out, but in the end we had a FANTASTIC winter. Last year, I dont even remember ANY fantasy maps. Most of our snows were the 1-3" variety and our best storm was an overperformer at 3-5" when the models had pegged us at the usual 1-2". So regardless of what happens Tue, its very nice to see fantasy maps already showing up as winter merely approaches :)

Fantasy maps in Nov? Maybe that bodes well for this winter. Remember in 2010-11? There were fantasy maps almost every day. Many of them didnt pan out, but in the end we had a FANTASTIC winter. Last year, I dont even remember ANY fantasy maps. Most of our snows were the 1-3" variety and our best storm was an overperformer at 3-5" when the models had pegged us at the usual 1-2". So regardless of what happens Tue, its very nice to see fantasy maps already showing up as winter merely approaches :)

I'm sure I was posting some last year on November 29. :lol:

Fantasy maps in Nov? Maybe that bodes well for this winter. Remember in 2010-11? There were fantasy maps almost every day. Many of them didnt pan out, but in the end we had a FANTASTIC winter. Last year, I dont even remember ANY fantasy maps. Most of our snows were the 1-3" variety and our best storm was an overperformer at 3-5" when the models had pegged us at the usual 1-2". So regardless of what happens Tue, its very nice to see fantasy maps already showing up as winter merely approaches smile.png

Yep, that was my FIRST thought when I saw those maps.

I'm sure I was posting some last year on November 29. laugh.png

Hmm perhaps. I do know for areas well NW of Detroit towards Lansing they got a good 4-6" (their best storm of the year) Nov 29/30 but that was one of those events that I really knew I was out of the game (actually quite thrilled to get 0.6" on the backside), so I probably never paid attention, at least that i can remember. My eyes are always fixated on DTW on those maps lol.

Hmm perhaps. I do know for areas well NW of Detroit towards Lansing they got a good 4-6" (their best storm of the year) Nov 29/30 but that was one of those events that I really knew I was out of the game (actually quite thrilled to get 0.6" on the backside), so I probably never paid attention, at least that i can remember. My eyes are always fixated on DTW on those maps lol.

LAF was basically on the western fringe. Can't remember the exact total but I think it was like 2 or 3 inches. There was a band of 6-10" to the north/east.

00z GFS is more south with the precip shield, but the ensemble mean is further north. GGEM still has a good storm but is well south of its 12z run, now making the southern 1/3 of MI the prime spot for decent snow. What will the euro do? Well its a day closer, but still 4+ days away. And Im getting sucked into model watching. Ugh lol

Archived