Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday Soaking

CT Rain

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's why I'm definitely an advocate more of the ensemble approach with the hi-res stuff, especially when it comes to accumulated products. I mean the HRRR runs so frequently, and changes so often that an ensemble can really show you how things are changing hour by hour. And that NCAR ensemble really needs to be run at 12z too.

The time-lagged HRRR stuff has shown some promise I think. 

Getting better high res ensembles... especially with CAMs is really key to our success. GEFS/EPS do well with synoptics but so often our extreme events are modulated by convection over the Atlantic to our south. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mm, i think the other red flag was that the models were placing those QPF bombs all over the place to begin with. 

I like what Ryan mentions about LLJ being cut off in reality, becuase the baroclinic zone ended up farther e - the convective feed-back implication of the models having the low too far NW and so forth...  

but, prior to all that happening, the inconsistencies with the QPF placement to me was a definite reason not to get to hopped up on a big rain result.  we knew the whole ordeal was convectively tarnished (for lack of better word) and form my own experience, convection and baroclinic lows (possibly related to Oceans' comments re CAPE/instability versus gradient) more than merely seem to conflict - the former 'feeds back' at grid points and that disrupts the 'fluid evolution' of the baroclinic wave/strata form/advection phenomenon.  

fascinating sort of study in that I suppose - even though we missed out on much needed rains. 

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm, i think the other red flag was that the models were placing those QPF bombs all over the place to begin with. 

I like what Ryan mentions about LLJ being cut off in reality, becuase the baroclinic zone ended up farther e - the convective feed-back implication of the models having the low too far NW and so forth...  

but, prior to all that happening, the inconsistencies with the QPF placement to me was a definite reason not to get to hopped up on a big rain result.  we knew the whole ordeal was convectively tarnished (for lack of better word) and form my own experience, convection and baroclinic lows (possibly related to Oceans' comments re CAPE/instability versus gradient) more than merely seem to conflict - the former 'feeds back' at grid points and that disrupts the 'fluid evolution' of the baroclinic wave/strata form/advection phenomenon.  

fascinating sort of study in that I suppose - even though the we missed out on much need rains. 

That's pretty much what Kevin said I think, lol.

;)

I think the synoptics of the LLJ and frontal boundary being further south makes the most sense...taking away the efficient forcing expected over SNE in some of those model runs.  The LLJ slamming high pwat air into a sloped frontal zone would've been quite prolific if it didn't all shift SE.

I feel your pain though, at least you guys get these busts in summer and we get the winter versions of the SE shift :lol:.

2 hours ago, CT Rain said:

It happened enough last winter!

I will say the 4km NAM/WRFs are getting better and better. They've lead the way a few times... including last winter. Seeing the high res stuff pull the plug at 12z yesterday even though the lower res globals were still bullish was a big caution flag. 

Meanwhile, not to sound like Cliff Mass, but our ensemble capability in the US absolutely blows.

gefs.png

But you still went .50-1.50 +. Interest8ng

It seemed like the s/w responsible wasn't overly impressive. There was an event last July that had a band of heavy deformation like rain on the north side and I doubted it. It ended up pouring big time, but the s/w responsible was really curled up IIRC.  Without a good s/w...it's really tough to get the conveyor belts going with a lack of a good thermal gradient. 

59 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Heck yeah they are. You guys are doing really well this year too. The reservation system is paying off.

Ha! Good to know! Yes, the reservation system is a sanity saver! Last year right from opening day the lines were ridiculous...people would start lining up hours before we even opened

It seemed like the s/w responsible wasn't overly impressive. There was an event last July that had a band of heavy deformation like rain on the north side and I doubted it. It ended up pouring big time, but the s/w responsible was really curled up IIRC.  Without a good s/w...it's really tough to get the conveyor belts going with a lack of a good thermal gradient. 

This thread is about tree parks. Take your weather b/s to the nerd forum.

Archived