Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On July 30, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Powerball said:

Frankly, I still don't understand why anyone even fretted over it. Dry spells like what we saw are nothing new, and they rarely take long to be broken.

I usually say the same, but a huge chunk of the northeast quadrant of the US is still quite dry this summer. IMBY, I've only had about 3.5" of rain since May 15th, normal is about 9" so only 39% of normal rain for this growing season. It's going to take a lot of thunderstorm action or some tropical remnants to break this deficit.

Here's the 60 day % of normal precip this summer:

60day_deficit.png

Just now, Trent said:

I usually say the same, but a huge chunk of the northeast quadrant of the US is still quite dry this summer. IMBY, I've only had about 3.5" of rain since May 15th, normal is about 9" so only 39% of normal rain for this growing season. It's going to take a lot of thunderstorm action or some tropical remnants to break this deficit.

Here's the 60 day % of normal precip this summer:

60day_deficit.png

Worst case, it will be made up with  fall / winter storms (whether it's in the form of stratiform rains or snow).

The US DOA is pretty much expecting the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Worst case, it will be made up with  fall / winter storms (whether it's in the form of stratiform rains or snow).

The US DOA is pretty much expecting the same thing. 

Lake Erie might dry up before LES season. ^_^

Still at a severe drought for most of the region, don't think I've seen an inch of rain total all May/June/July. KBUF is at 3.2 above normal for July which would put it in the top 10-15 warmest of all time 2011-12 were much warmer though, both top 5.

http://www.weather.gov/buf/BUF_top10

U.S. Drought Monitor forNew York

1 hour ago, Trent said:

Nope, it was the opposite, overnight lows were keeping the average down. CLE's average high for July was +3.9 while the lows were only +2.7. We had 10 90+ days in July and 17 days above 87. 

I bet that place feels like a blast furnace compared to Saginaw. Only 3 days above 90 there. Heck, DTW was 4F warmer than Howell.

DTW managed to finish with an average temp similar to Cincinnati. Only 0.1F different.

Probably why it's a different Koeppen climate classification.

800px-MICH_koeppen.png

23 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I must admit, it's kind of funny how everyone's in every direction is seeing a torrential downpour / t'storm now but us (aside from a few faint rumbles).

Typical 2016.

I can see the cloud tops from here. It's clear skies here.

27 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I must admit, it's kind of funny how everyone's in every direction is seeing a torrential downpour / t'storm now but us (aside from a few faint rumbles).

Typical 2016.

Yeah, I am hoping that stuff can slowly drift this way, but none of the storms have any definite movement to them.

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah, oh well that's problem with pulse storms, lots of losers and only a few winners.

Meh, I was already over this season in terms of severe weather / organized convection episodes. 

It's been a complete misfire locally and August is looking just as bleak in the foreseeable future with a repeat of the same crappy setups. 

July 2016 will finish with a mean temp of 76.8F at DTW, tied with 1901 & 1999 for 8th hottest July. The mean temp at DET was 76.1F, but the avg high temp at DET was a full 1.8F colder than at DTW! Just skimming some recent unusually warm/cold Julys (I did the same for unusually warm/cold Jans), its apparent that DTW still is colder than DET during winter months and cool summer months, but this newfound downsloping or whatever is giving DTW an odd boost to high temps during hot weather in recent years. In the hot July of 2011, both DTW/DET finished with a near identical temp, however the hot July of 2012 saw DTW a full degree warmer than DET. Then, the cold July of 2014 saw DTW a full 2F colder than DET, but now that the heat has turned up in July 2016, back to being hotter than DET. During the hottest months in the 1970s-1980s, DTW was consistently 0.5-1.5F colder than DTW.

DTW finished July with 9 days of 90F+, normal is 5. A total of 19 Julys have seen more days of 90, the most being 17 in 1955. Five other Julys also saw 9 days.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Lake Erie might dry up before LES season. ^_^

Still at a severe drought for most of the region, don't think I've seen an inch of rain total all May/June/July. KBUF is at 3.2 above normal for July which would put it in the top 10-15 warmest of all time 2011-12 were much warmer though, both top 5.

http://www.weather.gov/buf/BUF_top10

U.S. Drought Monitor forNew York

Having driven I-90 and the Thruway from Cleveland to east of Syracuse last week, I can tell you that it visually bares out that graphic. Between Buffalo and Syracuse all of the grass along the roadway is asleep and almost straw yellow. You hit Syracuse and it is like someone turned on the sprinklers. All the grass is green and awake and growing.

Finished July with 6.35" of rain.  Highest temp for the month was a pretty meh (for July) 93, but the peak heat index hit 117.  Had several days of 110+ heat index in combination with several days of 80-82 dews.  Highest gust recorded was 44mph in the midst of a heavy thunderstorm.

So far this summer has been a 3rd summer in a row with fairly meh peak temps, as we have had a hard time getting into the mid 90s and beyond.  The stretches of extreme humidity has more than made up for that though.  Even though 2012 was extremely brutal with numerous 100+ degree days, the brutality of 93/81 type stuff trumps the 103/59 type stuff we had that summer.

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

July 2016 will finish with a mean temp of 76.8F at DTW, tied with 1901 & 1999 for 8th hottest July. The mean temp at DET was 76.1F, but the avg high temp at DET was a full 1.8F colder than at DTW! Just skimming some recent unusually warm/cold Julys (I did the same for unusually warm/cold Jans), its apparent that DTW still is colder than DET during winter months and cool summer months, but this newfound downsloping or whatever is giving DTW an odd boost to high temps during hot weather in recent years. In the hot July of 2011, both DTW/DET finished with a near identical temp, however the hot July of 2012 saw DTW a full degree warmer than DET. Then, the cold July of 2014 saw DTW a full 2F colder than DET, but now that the heat has turned up in July 2016, back to being hotter than DET. During the hottest months in the 1970s-1980s, DTW was consistently 0.5-1.5F colder than DTW.

DTW finished July with 9 days of 90F+, normal is 5. A total of 19 Julys have seen more days of 90, the most being 17 in 1955. Five other Julys also saw 9 days.

DTW was almost the same temp as Cincinnati. Just out to the west (Howell), I was 4F cooler. That's a big difference.

Archived