Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't quite done with snow yet, a pretty decent hit looking likely in the foothills tomorrow thru Friday.   :snowman:

Yes, I started this because of the request of Mayjawintastawm. I find it particularly funny that there is also a winter storm watch for my county (higher elevations) right now. I also find it kind of funny that we'll have far less posts on this 6 or 7-month long thread than our 5-month long winter thread.

Yes, I started this because of the request of Mayjawintastawm. I find it particularly funny that there is also a winter storm watch for my county (higher elevations) right now. I also find it kind of funny that we'll have far less posts on this 6 or 7-month long thread than our 5-month long winter thread.

Yeah, I'm in your county and looking forward to another blast.  :) 

Well, it wouldn't be Colorado without snow in the warm season, would it? We are 53 days away from the summer solstice. Swim teams start practice at the neighborhood pools in a couple of weeks. Models this AM have anywhere from 4 to 12 inches of snow where we live over the next couple of days. We are just outside the edge of the watch.

Well, it wouldn't be Colorado without snow in the warm season, would it? We are 53 days away from the summer solstice. Swim teams start practice at the neighborhood pools in a couple of weeks. Models this AM have anywhere from 4 to 12 inches of snow where we live over the next couple of days. We are just outside the edge of the watch.

Perhaps we should just call this thread "The period when the days are longer"   :lmao:

My area has had some rain and snow yesterday and today. It is snowing now. Total water in the rain gauge has been about 0.7" since midnight Friday. CoCoRAHS plots show 0.5" Thurs 7am to Sat 7am. Snow has been melting (mainly). I had a little buildup of snow by yesterday afternoon, then it melted as the snow got less intense and possibly became drizzle. I have seen some local storm reports of 6" of snow out near Kansas. (8.0" of snow Kit Carson Colorado, CoCoRAHS)

The next 7 days will feature lots of precipitation in the West. This may help reduce some of the drought in California and Nevada, and reduce short-term dryness in Utah. Also, this week will help reduce short-term dryness and drought in the eastern US (East Coast).

l4900fP.gif

8 years ago, May 22 2008, there was a SSE flow aloft and a 500mb low in the Rockies. A supercell tornado tracked SSE to NNW and hit the town of Windsor pretty hard. It was a weird day. It was very humid and cool near the foothills, and there was explosive thunderstorm development in the wam(er) sector-- not that it was hot. As you may know, many of the tornadoes around here are non-supercell tornadoes and tend not to do a lot of damage. Also, SSE flow at 500mb is really kind of a weird direction for severe weather. I say this because this Saturday may have some similarities, in the sense that there is a segment of SE 500mb winds and some chance for severe weather out east (~100 mi east of me)

Hello I've been following this forum closely for the past couple months now because my father in law lives in Laramie,WY and I actually just got offered a job to work in Cheyenne,WY. Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the weather in Laramie and Cheyenne as I will be commuting back and forth between Laramie and Cheyenne. My also requires me to travel across the entire state of Wyoming so I won't be commuting from Laramie to Cheyenne everyday as some nights I will be in a hotel. I've been to Laramie and Cheyenne a few times and absolutely love the area. I am originally from Buffalo,NY and loved the winters there (about 100" or so annually) and moved to Rhode Island 2 years ago (average about 28" of snow annually). I'm looking forward to not only more snow than here in RI but to the huge fluxuations in daily temperatures (where even in the summer it can cool down into 40s almost daily) and also how one day could be 25 degrees with 10" of snow and the next day could be 55 degrees with full sunshine or vice versa. I love how extreme the temperatures can get (I know I've seen it in the last 2 years close to -30F a couple different times) Also love the fact that the Snowy Range mountains are only about 40 minutes away. Anything else about the area that anyone knows will be an awesome help, and I can't wait to make the move from the east coast and start posting in this forum.

It is breezy or windy on a lot of days in Cheyenne and Laramie, especially in winter. Cheyenne and the adjacent foothills (Buford, I-80) have a high wind warning on a few days per year. Laramie is at 7100 ft and it is pleasantly cool in summer, (with occasional hail,) and in the winter, it is prettty darn cold, when factoring in wind chill. Cheyenne is at 6100ft and it is a few degrees cooler than Fort Collins, on average.

Cheyenne doesn't have a very consistent wintry climate in Nov-Mar. Even in mid-January, the normal high is around 40. Of course they can have wintry periods, but difficult to retain snow cover. Kind of like Denver, but slightly cooler overall.

Laramie is a different story. Higher elevation, further NW than Cheyenne. More consistently wintry, although still can get decent thaws during winter. But Laramie doesn't have the crazy up and down temps like Denver or Cheyenne.

I love visiting there, but wouldn't enjoy the winter climate so much (especially Cheyenne). Not enough consistent winter wx.

Good luck with the move - definitely a change from RI. :)

Hello I've been following this forum closely for the past couple months now because my father in law lives in Laramie,WY and I actually just got offered a job to work in Cheyenne,WY. Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the weather in Laramie and Cheyenne as I will be commuting back and forth between Laramie and Cheyenne. My also requires me to travel across the entire state of Wyoming so I won't be commuting from Laramie to Cheyenne everyday as some nights I will be in a hotel. I've been to Laramie and Cheyenne a few times and absolutely love the area. I am originally from Buffalo,NY and loved the winters there (about 100" or so annually) and moved to Rhode Island 2 years ago (average about 28" of snow annually). I'm looking forward to not only more snow than here in RI but to the huge fluxuations in daily temperatures (where even in the summer it can cool down into 40s almost daily) and also how one day could be 25 degrees with 10" of snow and the next day could be 55 degrees with full sunshine or vice versa. I love how extreme the temperatures can get (I know I've seen it in the last 2 years close to -30F a couple different times) Also love the fact that the Snowy Range mountains are only about 40 minutes away. Anything else about the area that anyone knows will be an awesome help, and I can't wait to make the move from the east coast and start posting in this forum.

Lots of big hail storms and wind in the Cheyenne area.

Cheyenne doesn't have a very consistent wintry climate in Nov-Mar. Even in mid-January, the normal high is around 40. Of course they can have wintry periods, but difficult to retain snow cover. Kind of like Denver, but slightly cooler overall.

Laramie is a different story. Higher elevation, further NW than Cheyenne. More consistently wintry, although still can get decent thaws during winter. But Laramie doesn't have the crazy up and down temps like Denver or Cheyenne.

I love visiting there, but wouldn't enjoy the winter climate so much (especially Cheyenne). Not enough consistent winter wx.

Good luck with the move - definitely a change from RI. :)

I have to disagree slightly with your assessment of Cheyenne. It's not "difficult to sustain snowcover" there, unless you mean sustain for months at a time. And the average January high is 37.8.

Even here in the Denver area, even though we have lots of up and downs, it's fairly common to have snow on the ground for weeks at a time. Several times in my 9 years here we've had snow cover for over a month. In 2006-07, it was 2 months straight. Overall, I'd say we have snow cover around 60% of the time from Dec-Mar.

Plus we get "winter" weather quite often in fall and especially spring.

8 years ago, May 22 2008, there was a SSE flow aloft and a 500mb low in the Rockies. A supercell tornado tracked SSE to NNW and hit the town of Windsor pretty hard. It was a weird day. It was very humid and cool near the foothills, and there was explosive thunderstorm development in the wam(er) sector-- not that it was hot. As you may know, many of the tornadoes around here are non-supercell tornadoes and tend not to do a lot of damage. Also, SSE flow at 500mb is really kind of a weird direction for severe weather. I say this because this Saturday may have some similarities, in the sense that there is a segment of SE 500mb winds and some chance for severe weather out east (~100 mi east of me)

Remember that day very well. That was a massive wedge. Here's the video: 

Welcome to the area! Biggest difference is that the unofficial nickname for RI is "Rain, no matter how cold it gets". There is almost never freezing rain here, and the endless pouring RI drizzle is rare as well. Also you don't usually get snow changing to rain, more often the opposite. 

There is more snow here, but its impact tends to be less due to sun and less moisture content. I needed a snowblower for our average 57" of snow in south central MA, but not the average 60" here. WY is probably not too different.

On Thursday, I posted on our block in Stapleton's Facebook group about the weather here today, specifically about hail and tornado precautions.

I've noticed in the past that our community especially doesn't plan for hail (gardens go uncovered, cars outside, etc...) even though a forecast may call for it.

Woke up this morning to see most cars inside,p and gardens covered up.

If you have a comminication method for your community, you can really help out your neighbors!

On Thursday, I posted on our block in Stapleton's Facebook group about the weather here today, specifically about hail and tornado precautions.

I've noticed in the past that our community especially doesn't plan for hail (gardens go uncovered, cars outside, etc...) even though a forecast may call for it.

Woke up this morning to see most cars inside,p and gardens covered up.

If you have a comminication method for your community, you can really help out your neighbors!

Nicely done! So many in Stapleton are newcomers from areas without hail. 

But right now it's getting colder rather than warmer...

Archived