• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

I have a question as to if my ideal climate actually exists.

I am embarking on a journey of living off the grid in my self-sustainable tiny house on wheels complete with solar panels, rainwater harvesting system, wood burning stove and without air conditioning.

I have lived in Portland basically my entire life, and even though it's a mild climate (it rarely gets below freezing) I am longing for considerably warmer temperatures.

Daily highs of between 60 and 90 degrees would be perfect for me. And lows of no lower than 40 degrees. The tricky part is finding a place that is warm while offering adequate precipitation, since I will be relying on the rain for my water needs.

Hawaii seems to fit the best. Sacramento isn't bad either, but I was wondering if there are other places that fit my desire.

Thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...

San Diego without a doubt but not too far inland - as close to the coast (expensive) you can be - very regulated coastal breeze fogs.

You mentioned Hawaii - leeward sides of the mountains are partially desert but you can tune with the Trade wind set up southwestern mountain slopes to find your habitat fitting your 10-20" range.

I still think San Diego or S. southern California would be your best bet. It stays a bit greener there than inland where the fogs are less if you don't mind foggy mornings 200 days plus out of the year.

San Diego without a doubt but not too far inland - as close to the coast (expensive) you can be - very regulated coastal breeze fogs.

You mentioned Hawaii - leeward sides of the mountains are partially desert but you can tune with the Trade wind set up southwestern mountain slopes to find your habitat fitting your 10-20" range.

I still think San Diego or S. southern California would be your best bet. It stays a bit greener there than inland where the fogs are less if you don't mind foggy mornings 200 days plus out of the year.

San Diego (10.34") gets less precip than, say Honolulu (17.10"). Sure there's a small part of some of the islands that gets about as little or less, but if he needs precip as a major source of his water (fog would be very tough to "harvest"), I don't see how San Diego would be better than Hawaiʻi.

Archived